Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Thread started 09 Jul 2014 (Wednesday) 05:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

PowerShot D30 display broken after first swim in the sea

joe92
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jul 2014
Jul 09, 2014 05:41 |  #1

Hello,

I purchased a Canon PowerShot D30 a couple of months ago in anticipation of my trip to the great barrier reef which I am now on.

After the first snorkelling session in which I took about 20-30 photos no problem and a couple of videos the battery was empty (I forgot to charge just before the trip so this was no issue). I took the camera out of the water and placed it into a tub of freshwater within 5 minutes of getting back on the boat. I took the battery out and placed it on charge to be ready for the scuba diving I will be doing later in the trip once certified.

Then the bad news happened. The camera would not switch on. After a lot of browsing the web and reading the manual I was very confused about what was happening but during a rare quiet moment I could hear that the shutter was focussing on half click.

The problem therefore, I assume, is that the display is broken. How does this happen? And so soon after purchase? The camera has been used for the 2 months I have owned it but entirely on land. I tested the camera in the sink when I bought it but after that every photo was taken in dry conditions.

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem right now? I am on the boat (which has wifi) for another 2 days. I will be a certified diver by lunchtime tomorrow and I have been looking forwards to diving with this camera whiles scuba diving since I bought it. In fact, since before then, as I knew I was going to buy a waterproof camera about a year ago. This is an absolutely devastating time for the camera to break. I also have another 2 weeks worth of travelling to do, which will also be undocumented since the display screen does not work. I do not have a spare battery with me on the boat.

The camera is covered with a 2 year warranty but I am only on this boat once in my lifetime. I am fairly desperate for any information which may fix this problem. Thank you very much for any help!

Joe

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jul 09, 2014 06:33 |  #2

The manual is available on line and in the troubleshooting section there is mention of making sure the memory card door closes properly. Most Canon DSLR's have a small microswitch in both the memory card and battery compartments. If either switch is not activitated properly, the camera won't power ON. Usually there is a protrusion on the doors that pushes a switch in the camera body. I'd look for both, even though the manual doesn't mention a switch in the battery compartment. Beyond that the manual says clean the battery contacts in the body and on the battery.

Worse case, and I don't know where you are diving (I now see great barrier reef), but if you can buy a few Kodak throw away underwater cameras they work surprisingly well up to 50 feet depth. These thing go for about $9 at Walmart. They are 35mm so when getting the throwaway processed just have the images burned to a CD as opposed to prints. There is also a Fuji throwaway but the depth limit is about 12 to 15 feet.

joe92
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jul 2014
Jul 09, 2014 06:49 |  #3

Sorry, I was unsure which board to place it in and didn't see a powershot fourm. Is there a way I can move it across?

I read the manual and specifically the troubleshooting section as you mention. It was after reading this that I listened closely whiles the room was mostly empty and I could hear the shutter focussing. I determine the camera is therefore turning on. I took a few photos like this (display not working but camera sounds audible) and the camera did take photos when I took the SD card out to check. 50% were in focus and 50% were not in focus. I have no idea which mode the camera is in though. Hopefully still underwater mode so I might possibly be able to use it without the display mode in the final two days of this once in a lifetime trip.

Is there a known defect with the display screens on the PowerShot D30? Have I likely received a defective model? Is there anything I can do whiles on the boat to possibly fix the situation?

Thank you for all and any of your help!

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,501 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Jul 09, 2014 07:00 |  #4

A web search seems to indicate few if any issues with that camera, but it is relatively new.

If you can call up a menu (I assume you can?) on the LCD check any settings that might have turned the display off. On Canon DSLR's there is an info button, usually just a "Q" and hitting that goes through several modes, one of which is a blank display.

Added informationI note your comment that you likely drained the battery since you didn't charge it fully when first purchased. Has the battery been charged to a "full" level as indicated on a charger (green light). That might take an overnight charge. Needless to say Canon recommends a full charge prior to first use!

Check the Start-up image setting, see page 106 of the manual. One option is "No start-up image."

jds2020
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jan 2015
Jan 03, 2015 11:40 |  #5

I have exactly the same problem & looking for a solution I have ended up on this page. I've had my Canon Powershot D30 for a couple of months & it was working fine on land, took it in the sea & shortly afterwards the display stopped working. When I hit the power button a small green light appears diagonally to the left above the main Function Setting wheel (below finger grip). Have verified that the camera can still take pictures & am fortunately not on holiday but I do live on a Caribbean island so will have to return the camera by mail if there is no "home solution". Would be interested to know what the final outcome was for you Joe92 I assume it involved returning the camera to the store? Thanks in advance.

RachelParry
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jul 2015
Jul 21, 2015 07:36 |  #6

Did anyone ever get a solution for this or hear anything back from Canon? I've been using mine on dives for 6 months and this has just happened to me. It's clearly still working as I can take photos but have no display! Again I live down in the Canaries and would love to find a solution rather than having to send it back to the uk!

SrdjanDj
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Aug 2015
Aug 14, 2015 12:06 |  #7

The same problem and for me also. I'am using my Canon Powershot D30 for a couple of months and after a few usage the display stopped working. I am able to make photos, but the screen is off and it means that I can't go to Main Menu. So, did we receive anything from Canon? I aredy sent a message to Support but withaut ansewrs. Thanks in advance for any kind of help.

RichG
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jul 2017
Jul 13, 2017 17:31 |  #8

Anyone figure this out yet? I got same problem today with my Powershot D30. Was in the shallow ocean in Italy earlier today and just taking some evening photos tonight on land and it stopped working. Thought battery died. But no. Realized it is turning on (and off) and I am able to snap photos but no display so I have no to know what camera is doing. No menu or display only mode only. I briefly tried to clean and blow out contacts and reseat the battery and card but still no screen. Not sure what to do. Please help??!!

sponsored links

7,156 views & 0 likes for this thread
PowerShot D30 display broken after first swim in the sea
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.