Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk
Thread started 27 Sep 2016 (Tuesday) 22:32
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Tracking my Son with the 7D Mark II and 200mm f2.8L II

DJHaze596
Goldmember
1,397 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2012
Florida
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by DJHaze596. 3 edits done in total.
Sep 27, 2016 22:32 |  #1

Hello I recently got my 7D Mark II and love it however I am noticing some heavy focusing issues when I try to track my Kid. I am not sure what Case I was in, I typically do 1, 3, or 4. Al Servo Priority was set to Release and then focus for 2nd. Setting both to focus resulted in terrible results. Default middle might work best for me. I had this exact same issue on my 1D Mark IV with 70-200 IS II, It tracks cars or birds no problem but anything to do with my kid running around, It struggled really bad.

Do you think this is an issue with settings, lens or user error?

Below is a sequence of 18 images shot in RAW Converted to JPEG then uploaded to Imgur. Looking at the grass, There is plenty of focus room. I don't get it.
Settings were 1/800th - 1/1000th, f3.2 - f4, ISO 800 to 1250.

http://imgur.com/galle​ry/RqvpB (external link)

Canon C200 | Canon 5D Mark IV | 16-35 f4L IS USM | 24-105mm f4L
50mm STM | 70-200mm f2.8L II | 100-400mmL II | 400mm f2.8L IS USM
Previously Owned: 1DX Mark II | Canon 5D Mark IV | 7D Mark II | 1D Mark IV

sponsored links
JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,187 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jan 2007
Detroit, MI
Oct 02, 2016 11:59 |  #2

Looking at the sequence of 18 images (and I admit, I only looked at about half enlarged) they all seem to be sharp, with perhaps one or two that are slightly front focused. And depending on where you placed the focus point, I got the feeling the front focus shots were the result of the 7D picking up on the hands and jumping out in front of the body.

So just a few comments from me:

1) I always put my EOS bodies in focus priority when using servo. Speed priority doesn't make sense to me because having the shutter release when the focus has not been achieved does nothing for me but create a shot I will delete later in post.

2) Learning to use the AF cases well involves looking at the three factors that they adjust and simply focusing on that. Never mind so much the description (although in general I suggest case 4 or case 6 for most use). But this is how they work:
A - Tracking sensitivity is best thought of as how quickly the camera will give up on the subject and jump to an obstacle or the background if something gets in the way or you wander off target for a moment. In tough situations it is generally best to head towards the negative settings for this, otherwise you get a lot of shots of sharp backgrounds.
B - Accel tracking is how the camera responds to jerky movement. On the low end it smooths out performance but you may get a miss here or there on a subject that just moved abruptly. On the high end, a sudden move by the subject can force overreaction and OOF shots. I tend to default to the middle here and only experiment on the edges is special cases.
C- auto switching is only of interest when you enable a multi-point setting, and then it governs the handoff.

3) Finally - AF systems do miss sometimes. If I'm shooting something very tough like basketball I will expect some misses. Older cameras and lenses miss more than the latest. I find that my 5D3 and lenses like the 70-200/2.8 IS II or the 24-70/2.8L II miss infrequently. And older lens like your 200/2.8 II will miss more. It's hard to say how many misses are too many because of the skill of the operator and the difficulty of the subject being variable. But yeah......sometimes you get a miss and you can see no reason for it.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2012
Portland OR USA
Oct 02, 2016 12:04 |  #3

Great summary, Jeffrey! I concur on setting for focus priority. I do BIF, not KAP ( kids at play), but I'd rather have a slightly nonideal wing position than an OOF shot.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

mfturner
Joined Mar 2013
Longmont, CO
Oct 07, 2016 12:01 |  #4

Just curious, does the 80D you have listed not have similar tracking issues with this same lens at the same aperture and lightening conditions? Looking at the photos, the cloudy lighting and slight softness of your son's hair and clothing remind me a bit of my EF 100f2.0 wide open, which is to say maybe the low contrast day makes everything seem a little softer than a bright sunny high contrast day might seem. The grass under your son's feet look to be focusing roughly where you might want, ranging from a little ahead to a little behind. But I don't know anything about the programmability of the 7DII focusing modes, I'm sure they have an effect too.

Monkey ­ moss
910 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Bristol, England
Oct 10, 2016 16:29 as a reply to JeffreyG's post |  #5

Jeffrey, great description and useful in many ways. Thank you.

Jon :cool::oops::D:cry::confused::(:lol:
Gear: 5Diii, 16-35 f4, 24-70 f2.8 ii, 70-300L, 35mm f2 IS, 85mm 1.8
My Flickr (external link)

Tristan29photography
Mostly Lurking
Joined May 2017
Jul 14, 2017 20:50 |  #6

Personnally I don't like using the AI servo mode. As the 200mm f2.8L II is very has a short depth of field while opened at 2.8 or 3.5. I prefer to select manually the focus with the joystick, and focus on the eyes

Best regards

Tristan Quevilly
Feel free to visit my new website :
Fine Art Landscape Photography (external link)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,187 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jan 2007
Detroit, MI
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by JeffreyG. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 15, 2017 08:27 |  #7

Tristan29photography wrote in post #18402338 (external link)
Personnally I don't like using the AI servo mode. As the 200mm f2.8L II is very has a short depth of field while opened at 2.8 or 3.5. I prefer to select manually the focus with the joystick, and focus on the eyes

Best regards

AI servo focus can be used with a single focus point, manually selected by the user. It does not have to be used with auto AF point selection. I suggest you consult your manual, because refusing to use AI servo focus will make it pretty much impossible to focus on moving subjects with Canon cameras.

The zone of acceptable focus is thin at f/2.8, that's why nailing the focus perfectly is so important. As someone who shoots a lot of sports at f/2.8, I can tell you this is why the cases and setup are so important.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII

sponsored links

5,219 views & 5 likes for this thread
Tracking my Son with the 7D Mark II and 200mm f2.8L II
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Kids & Family Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.