Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 14 Jul 2017 (Friday) 04:14
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon 600D & Godox DE300 Sync Issues?

tyh
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jul 2017
Jul 14, 2017 04:14 |  #1

Hi,

I'm guessing at sync issues, anyway; just recently every single photo is either completely black or partly covered. My setup:

2 x Godox DE300 set to optical slaves
1 x Godox DE300 set as master with a generic cheapo wireless trigger connected to sync input with 3.5mm jack. You know the type: a horrible plastic thing with power pass through and four switches for setting frequency/code.

I have the camera in full manual mode and have tried exposures between 1/250 and 1/125 to see if I can catch the flash.

Without replacing the strobes, what could I do to fix this? Do I need a high-speed sync trigger or something like that?

Would something like this solve my problem? https://www.amazon.co.​uk ...eceiver-kit/dp/B017HA5P82 (external link)

What about the cheaper Yongnuo? https://www.amazon.co.​uk ...TTL-Trigger/dp/B00BJ4CR5C (external link)

Thanks

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jul 14, 2017 06:37 |  #2

tyh wrote in post #18401725 (external link)
a generic cheapo wireless trigger connected to sync input with 3.5mm jack. You know the type: a horrible plastic thing with power pass through and four switches for setting frequency/code.

sounds like you answered your own question.

not familiar with the capabilities of your strobe, if it does HSS then one of the ones you linked should do the trick.

if it is a typical studio monopack the YN-603II should do the trick with the appropriate connection to the flash.

alternatively, you could:

1) use an on camera flash to test that the strobes are firing correctly before buying something else. Just make sure the on camera flash doesn't "pre-flash".

2) wire the camera to the strobe directly to test the strobes.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

tyh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jul 2017
Jul 14, 2017 09:33 as a reply to Left Handed Brisket's post |  #3

Thanks for the reply.

The Godox DE300 has just a simple 2-pin 3.5mm input, so I'm guessing this means it cannot do anything fancy like HSS. The trigger you mention; is it this one? https://www.amazon.co.​uk ...ger-Cameras/dp/B00HOXFCDQ (external link)

And all I'd need is a PC sync -> 3.5mm cable?

I'll do the tests before I make any decisions.

Thanks

tyh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jul 2017
Jul 14, 2017 09:43 |  #4

I've just tested the strobes using the built-in flash as an optical trigger, and every snap was exposed correctly.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited 13 days ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Jul 14, 2017 09:56 |  #5

probably a trigger issue then.

i'm not familliar with the DE300 but I suspect it can be controlled remotely with the correct Godox trigger. That's the way I would go unless money is an issue or you just want to walk to the flash and change it's settings, in that case, the YN603II via mini-plug to whatever sync the strobe has would work fine. Keeping in mind the pass through shoe on the 603 is not TTL, if that is an issue to you.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Post has been edited 13 days ago by Left Handed Brisket.
Jul 14, 2017 09:59 |  #6

tyh wrote in post #18401870 (external link)
Thanks for the reply.

The Godox DE300 has just a simple 2-pin 3.5mm input, so I'm guessing this means it cannot do anything fancy like HSS. The trigger you mention; is it this one? https://www.amazon.co.​uk ...ger-Cameras/dp/B00HOXFCDQ (external link)

And all I'd need is a PC sync -> 3.5mm cable?

I'll do the tests before I make any decisions.

Thanks

oh, didn't read that part.

the strobe pin/connection doesn't matter ... all that really matters is that the camera knows HSS is available through whatever trigger is in its hotshoe.

603 will not do HSS.

tyh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jul 2017
Jul 14, 2017 11:04 as a reply to Left Handed Brisket's post |  #7

Well, whaddya know? I found a USB socket hidden under a dust cap on the side of each strobe with a little wireless logo. Apparently, the correct controller can adjust power settings wirelessly. I'll have to see if I can find a compatible Godox trigger that supports it.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Jul 14, 2017 14:05 |  #8

tyh wrote in post #18401945 (external link)
Well, whaddya know? I found a USB socket hidden under a dust cap on the side of each strobe with a little wireless logo. Apparently, the correct controller can adjust power settings wirelessly. I'll have to see if I can find a compatible Godox trigger that supports it.

assuming the DE300 is the Euro version of the US QT300, it looks like it is controlled by the FT-16 transmitter and the USB receiver thingy shown here

http://www.godox.com ...udio_Flash_QT_Serie​s.html (external link)

This is the same system that controls the AD360 (which I own) and that transmitter will not support HSS. The whole thing is pretty screwball, but Godox has another transmitter for the camera hotshoe that is HSS capable and works with the same USB receiver thingy. I can't remember the name of it right now, but it looks a lot like the FT-16 but has a hotshoe that seems totally useless.

Rather than use that transmitter I bought a few of the YN 622. With one on the camera hot shoe and the other connected via mini-plug I am able to shoot HSS with the AD360. Going this route allows me to also use the 622 with other HSS capable flashes.

inkista
445 posts
Joined Oct 2007
San Diego, CA, USA
Post has been last edited 12 days ago by inkista. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 15, 2017 17:04 |  #9

AFAIK, the DE is a different series from the QT. And the QTII series looks to be the only one that can do HSS with the X1T triggers.

The only four Godox strobe series that have been/are being updated for direct use in the Godox X/Flashpoint R2 system with built-in X triggers are the QTII (external link), QSII (external link), SKII (external link), and DPII (external link) series lights. While you can add an XTR16 (external link) to the USB port on a lot of the other series, power control might be an issue, since a lot of the lower-end lights don't use proportional control (1, 1/2, 1/4, etc.) while that's what the X1T/XT16/XT32 triggers do.

The QT600II is also rebranded as the Flashpoint Rapid.
The SK300II and SK400II are rebranded as the Flashpoint Studio

The QSII strobes look like they're not carried by Adorama, but are carried by B&H.
The DPII strobes don't look like they're out yet.

My head spins with all this model churn.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

Jark89
163 posts
Joined Nov 2008
Post has been edited 12 days ago by Jark89.
Jul 15, 2017 23:06 |  #10

tyh wrote in post #18401945 (external link)

Get the FT-16 series trigger & receiver for the DE series. You'll be able to control power, modeling light, beep from the trigger as well.

https://www.amazon.com ...s-Speedlite/dp/B00Y9H99R​0 (external link)

https://www.dpreview.c​om/galleries/090508506​3 (external link)

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,937 posts
Joined Jan 2005
S Yorks UK
Jul 17, 2017 01:01 |  #11

Jark89 wrote in post #18403040 (external link)
Get the FT-16 series trigger & receiver for the DE series. You'll be able to control power, modeling light, beep from the trigger as well.

https://www.amazon.com ...s-Speedlite/dp/B00Y9H99R​0 (external link)

This.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

tyh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Jul 2017
Jul 17, 2017 05:09 |  #12

Thanks, guys.

I went with the FT-16 and 3 x FTR-16.

I was considering the X1C, which supports TTL and HSS, but then I read that the XTR-16 receivers don't support TTL commands which means I'd have to use the X1C in manual mode anyway. I guess that's because the strobes they are designed to work with don't have suitable power adjustment. It's a shame because the 600D I'm using only allows me to use Live View with a TTL-compatible unit.

sponsored links

748 views & 2 likes for this thread
Canon 600D & Godox DE300 Sync Issues?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.