Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 16 Jul 2017 (Sunday) 22:30
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Lightroom Alternatives

ebusinesstutor
Joined Apr 2011
Nanaimo, BC Canada
Jul 16, 2017 22:30 |  #1

I purchased the Adobe creative cloud plan but got tired of paying the monthly $9.95 fee when there are some months I am not even using it. I primarily use Lightroom just for some light post processing of my photos and don't use Photoshop, so I don't need a heavy graphics solution. I am a Windows user.

I never really liked the organization features of Lightroom and have switched to FastStone for organizing photos, so I am ok there. I just need some basic post processing of my photos.

I did try Lightzone but find it clunky. RawTherapee doesn't recognize my OneDrive where all my pictures are, so it is out.

I am willing to pay for a solution, but would prefer a one time payment for photo software instead of a subscription. (I do pay for lots of other business software by subscription, but don't need that here.)

Any ideas? I have been looking at PhotoDirector as a possibility. Anyone have experience with that one.

sponsored links
Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Jul 16, 2017 22:33 |  #2

Are you excluding the Lightroom perpetual version?

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

PhotosGuy
74,822 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Jul 16, 2017 23:26 |  #3

The free Adobe Photoshop PSCS2 (external link) should allow you to do anything you need.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

lacogada
Joined May 2015
Post has been edited 4 months ago by lacogada.
Jul 17, 2017 05:52 |  #4

ebusinesstutor wrote in post #18403733 (external link)
switched to FastStone for organizing photos, so I am ok there. I just need some basic post processing of my photos.

Dig deeper into Faststone ... it may actually do all you need.
Download the PDF manual and see all the features it actually has.

http://www.faststoneso​ft.net/DN/FSIV_Tutoria​l.pdf (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Jul 17, 2017 07:36 |  #5

Heya,

You can get a previous Lightroom version if you liked it, that is not monthly. LR3 or LR4 for example? Not pennies, but still, you buy once. I'm still using CS5 (Photoshop) because I got it for $30 with a student email address and I'll use it until it no longer works in windows (I still run Win 7 and will continue to do that until I cannot or have a very good reason not to).

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,620 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Atlanta
Jul 17, 2017 08:44 |  #6

For browsing, copying from cards to file system, renaming files, filling out IPTC and other fields including keywords, it is very hard to beat Photo Mechanic. You can use PM to then invoke your raw converter or editor of choice.

Nick5
Goldmember
2,903 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Philadelphia Suburbs
Jul 17, 2017 08:46 |  #7

ebusinesstutor wrote in post #18403733 (external link)
I purchased the Adobe creative cloud plan but got tired of paying the monthly $9.95 fee when there are some months I am not even using it. I primarily use Lightroom just for some light post processing of my photos and don't use Photoshop, so I don't need a heavy graphics solution. I am a Windows user.

I never really liked the organization features of Lightroom and have switched to FastStone for organizing photos, so I am ok there. I just need some basic post processing of my photos.

I did try Lightzone but find it clunky. RawTherapee doesn't recognize my OneDrive where all my pictures are, so it is out.

I am willing to pay for a solution, but would prefer a one time payment for photo software instead of a subscription. (I do pay for lots of other business software by subscription, but don't need that here.)

Any ideas? I have been looking at PhotoDirector as a possibility. Anyone have experience with that one.

I have been holding out about subscribing to CC. However I did buy Lightroom 5 and Lightroom 6. There is still an option to purchase Lightroom, not rent it.
Having Photoshop CS 4 Extended, if I had the option to buy that as well, I would look into it. I like to purchase my homes, cars, photo gear, computers and software......that's just me.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,145 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Jul 17, 2017 11:03 |  #8

In Canada does Canon provide DPP free with cameras?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Jul 17, 2017 11:12 |  #9

Wilt wrote in post #18404036 (external link)
In Canada does Canon provide DPP free with cameras?

Yes

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,620 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Atlanta
Jul 17, 2017 11:15 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #10

You can download DPP for Windows from the Canon support sites even if Canon did not put it in the box in CA.

https://www.usa.canon.​com ...QH8HIC0L88RB0AMD0F1​Q42K25 (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,544 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jul 17, 2017 11:42 |  #11

MalVeauX wrote in post #18403901 (external link)
Heya,

You can get a previous Lightroom version if you liked it, that is not monthly. LR3 or LR4 for example? Not pennies, but still, you buy once. I'm still using CS5 (Photoshop) because I got it for $30 with a student email address and I'll use it until it no longer works in windows (I still run Win 7 and will continue to do that until I cannot or have a very good reason not to).

Very best,

You can buy LR6, too. No need to rent it.

Tom

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,703 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Jul 17, 2017 12:09 |  #12

Capture One: is likely the best, but it costs the most.

Aftershot:
I used to love "Bibble RAW", it was bought by Corel and turned into "AfterShot"
Corel have seen fit to upgrade many aspects and downgrade some others,. I'd probably still be using it anyway, but it refuses to run stable on my current particular workstation. I think it does not like my giant Adpatec RAID array. Might be worth a look. It was fast and user friendly. It does not bog down with large files.

If your a Canon shooter, there is always DPP, which is free.

I have not warmed up to either DXO or Raw Therapee, but they are both worth checking out.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,620 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Atlanta
Jul 17, 2017 21:10 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #13

Lightroom has multiple modules: Library, Develop, Map, Website, Print. Does any other app totally match that range of features? Personally all I would want is a replacement for Library, Develop, and Print.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jul 18, 2017 04:48 |  #14

MCAsan wrote in post #18404480 (external link)
Lightroom has multiple modules: Library, Develop, Map, Website, Print. Does any other app totally match that range of features? Personally all I would want is a replacement for Library, Develop, and Print.

No I don't think anyone else covers the full range of output options that you get with Lr. What I really like is the fact that you don't have to keep lots of different versions of the image file saved locally. I find that for around 98% of my images I don't need to convert to an RGB format for additional processing, so only the one file. Even when I do need to edit pixels I still only need to have the one master PSD file on my machine, which cuts down drastically on complexity of storage.

I would add Map to the list of modules that I use regularly. Since I have a health condition that affects my short term memory, I like to also geotag my images, so I know where they were taken. I do this manually in the Map module at the moment. I really should get one of those tracking apps for my phone, and have Lr add the data from that.

Did you know it is possible to set Lr up so that it only loads the modules you want? So if you never use the Map, Book, Web, or Slideshow modules you don't need to load them. Apparently this can give a little performance boost on computers that are a little marginal in performance.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Poindexter
Joined Feb 2007
Vermont
Jul 18, 2017 06:24 |  #15

MacPhun has a new(ish) program called Luminar that is very close to being on par with Lightroom's editing features. Since it has come out I have been doing some very light RAW processing in Lightroom and the heavier lifting in Luminar. Then I'll sometimes finish things up in another MacPhun or Nik software.

On a different note about the entire post processing package....

Every once in a while I go on the hunt for a combo of softwares to replace the Adobe suite. I'm one of the "lucky" ones who has the original full Creative Cloud grandfathered at $49 a month, but that's still a chunk as I was quite satisfied with the Adobe products before they went to the subscription model. Very little has been added to justify the extra money I've put into it thus far.... in the 4 years since it came out I've spent $2,400 :cry: on this subscription. Just doing that math now, and it is absolutely one of those times where ignorance was bliss.

MacPhun claims to have a cataloging system in the works. Although I love their softwares, I don't know if I can give up everything I've put into Lightroom. Final Cut Pro is absolutely a fine Premier replacement. There are lots of vector solutions out there that can handle my Illustrator load. BUT.... Photoshop. Photoshop is pretty special. Is Affinity Pro ready to fill that spot?

I wish Aperture wasn't killed. And I wish more was around to keep Adobe competitive.

flickr (external link) | SmugMug (external link) | Gear (external link)

sponsored links

2,491 views & 1 like for this thread
Lightroom Alternatives
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.