Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 16 Jul 2017 (Sunday) 07:47
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Looking to upgrade to full frame camera and need suggestions

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,335 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jul 16, 2017 15:29 |  #31

DreDaze wrote in post #18403421 (external link)
so the only lens you have right now is the kit lens? how much are you planning on putting into lenses when you upgrade to FF? right now the 6DII would take up all of you budget, and leave you with no compatible lenses...for all those things you want to shoot, i'd invest more in lenses than a new body

the 70D has DPAF as well...

Notice that I referred to the 'latest version' of Canon's DPAF. There is a world of difference between the LV/AF/Video performance of the the 80D/6D2(?) and the 70D. The 70D has NO ABILITY to AF by itself in either LV or Video mode. Not only can the 80D track focus with no user input, that focus is adjustable. The 70D's version of DPAF is positively Stone-Age compared to the 80D.

Tom

sponsored links
DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,690 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Jul 16, 2017 16:31 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #32

kyleriffs wrote in post #18403451 (external link)
Yes only the kit lens for my 600D at the moment. I'll be ordering the Rokinon 24mm f1.4 lens next week and then saving for a full frame camera which I can use with my 600D until I have enough money for the full frame camera. So my whole budget is around £2600 including camera lens. And I apologize I should have made that clear in my original post.

I just started a new job and have a car to sell so should only take a couple of months to save for the camera. Next weeks paycheck I'll be buying the lens, then the camera in a month or two. After I buy the camera I'll start putting money to one side for more lenses as I want a decent macro lens too.

I wouldn't buy a camera body if I didn't have a lens lined up. And I know the 600D would be better with a better lens but I personally prefer the wider angle of full frame cameras

how do you have experience with the wider angles of a full frame camera? you could just get wider lenses...you have a lot of things you like to shoot...the 24mm will be good for astro, and landscapes on a FF...but probably not the best for sport/portrait/macro..​.

for 2,000 you could buy a wider lens for your crop, a better lens for sport...and a macro lens...as well as a longer prime for portraits...there's a reason a lot of people preach glass before body...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,335 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jul 16, 2017 16:50 |  #33

I agree with Dre. If you've only got £2,000 to spend, maybe now isn't a good time for a full frame body. You can use EF lenses on your current camera while acquiring the glass you'll need.

Tom

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,927 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Jul 16, 2017 17:06 as a reply to post 18403290 |  #34

But using WiFi is slow and requires you to initiate transfer on each file, very painful...

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

kyleriffs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jul 2017
Jul 17, 2017 10:59 |  #35

Thanks for the advice

TreeburnerCT
Joined Dec 2016
Stratford, CT, USA
Jul 18, 2017 07:15 |  #36

I would have to agree that jumping up to full frame with only one compatible, manual focus lens is not going to make much impact on the quality of your photography. I would go with the 80D for the great AF, dynamic range and high-ISO performance, then pick up the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 Art and maybe a Canon 55-250 IS STM or something with some reach. Full frame cameras are all the rage, but the reality is that unless you shoot often in low light, high action situations, you are unlikely to benefit as much from the 6D2 as you would from the 80D with some better glass. Just my $0.02.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Jul 18, 2017 09:58 |  #37

Something else to consider lens wise is that it is much cheaper to get to 10mm on APS-C than it will be to get to 16mm on the 35mm format. So even for UWA it is actually cheaper to stick with the APS-C format. Although you can go wider using the 35mm format, that just starts to get real expensive real quick. If you only have limited funds, and I would call £2000 limited if you want a modern digital body and a reasonable collection of lenses, then APS-C is a far more viable option. New I think you would be hard pushed to find any 35mm format DSLR with a decent standard zoom. A body without a suitable lens is really not much use.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

kyleriffs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jul 2017
Sep 08, 2017 07:59 |  #38

My circumstances changed. I bought the Samyang 1.4/24mm lens, I'll be ordering a Canon 5D Mark IV next month and a Canon 70-200mm f2.8 II lens

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,623 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Sep 08, 2017 13:22 |  #39

Can't go wrong with a 5D4!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Charlie ­ Victor
Joined Oct 2014
United Kingdom
Sep 11, 2017 09:13 |  #40

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18447460 (external link)
Can't go wrong with a 5D4!

I'm waiting for whoever the courier will be to deliver mine any minute now! :)

Canon 7D and 5D IV / EF-S 10-22mm / EF 24-105mm L / Sigma 50mm f1.4 EX DG / EF 70-300mm L / 580 EX II / Yongnuo YN-568EX II
Sony RX100M2 / HVL-F32M / Turret optical viewfinder
GoPro Hero 3+ / Head mount / Chest mount / Suction mount / Hand grip

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,683 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Post has been edited 1 month ago by johnf3f.
Sep 11, 2017 17:57 as a reply to kyleriffs's post |  #41

I see you have gone for the "Nuclear" option!

From my limited experience, the 5D4 will blow your socks off and the 70-200 F2.8 Mk2 will just make it better:-)

Once all the new toys have arrived it is time to start saving for a Canon 24-70 F2.8 L V2 - very nice on a 5D4, or anything else for that matter!

You live in Wales? Me too - Bridgend area. There are some pretty good camera clubs in South Wales - might be useful for some advice/inspiration if you are not too far away?

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

kyleriffs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jul 2017
Sep 13, 2017 00:32 |  #42

Charlie Victor wrote in post #18449236 (external link)
I'm waiting for whoever the courier will be to deliver mine any minute now! :)

Let me know what you think of it :)

kyleriffs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jul 2017
Sep 13, 2017 01:07 |  #43

johnf3f wrote in post #18449702 (external link)
I see you have gone for the "Nuclear" option!

From my limited experience, the 5D4 will blow your socks off and the 70-200 F2.8 Mk2 will just make it better:-)

Once all the new toys have arrived it is time to start saving for a Canon 24-70 F2.8 L V2 - very nice on a 5D4, or anything else for that matter!

You live in Wales? Me too - Bridgend area. There are some pretty good camera clubs in South Wales - might be useful for some advice/inspiration if you are not too far away?

It seems like a great camera, would be nice if it had a tilting screen though. And I see a lot of people complaining about the AA/OLP filter.

I live on the South West corner of the Brecon Beacons

Ah-keong
Joined Apr 2016
Sep 13, 2017 01:19 |  #44

1st choice : 5D Mark IV
2nd choice : 6D Mark II
3rd choice : 80D

IMAGE: https://www.yaotomi.co.jp/blog/walk/assets_c/2016/04/SIGMA50-100,18_2016yaotomi_03-thumb-700xauto-71902.jpg

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART |
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT |
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |
Tenba DNA 15 Messenger | Think Tank Photo Digital Holster 40v2.0 | Speed Changer v2.0

Charlie ­ Victor
Joined Oct 2014
United Kingdom
Sep 13, 2017 08:14 |  #45

kyleriffs wrote in post #18450922 (external link)
Let me know what you think of it :)

What do I think? Early days but first impressions are that I have purchased precisely what I wanted and we're going to get on with each other just fine, be it in the studio or out and about; I have spent my money well. With the exception of a different method of zooming in to images during in-camera playback and all the additional functionality that the 5D mk IV brings, transition from my 7D has been completely intuitive - exactly as Canon intends; the same buttons in the same place with the same reach and the same menu logic making it seamless to work out where something new is going to live. A fantastic piece of kit and with the Herringbone Type 2 leather knuckle grip making it as wieldy as I like (I am not a fan of neck straps unless needing to carry two bodies such as during a commission).

I now have a very happy eleven year old son too since he now has a 7D to supplement the 400D that I let him shoot unsupervised with!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 7D and 5D IV / EF-S 10-22mm / EF 24-105mm L / Sigma 50mm f1.4 EX DG / EF 70-300mm L / 580 EX II / Yongnuo YN-568EX II
Sony RX100M2 / HVL-F32M / Turret optical viewfinder
GoPro Hero 3+ / Head mount / Chest mount / Suction mount / Hand grip

sponsored links

10,544 views & 9 likes for this thread
Looking to upgrade to full frame camera and need suggestions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.