Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk
Thread started 16 Jul 2017 (Sunday) 20:19
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Why am I getting this in my PM??

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,225 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Jul 18, 2017 16:04 as a reply to post 18405132 |  #31

The filters already exist and work, I believe, so I think just a feature that enables that or not is sufficient.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
Joined Sep 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Jul 18, 2017 16:16 |  #32

When to use profanity and when not depends on the company one keeps, doesn't it? My friends and I use føck quite a bit, in a casual way that is, not in anger or any other negative way. But none of us would do that in different company. Although in the Netherlands and in Western-Europe altogether, we're generally quite a bit more relaxed about language than people across the big pond are; profanity is just not an issue. Why an adult would want to protect him/herself from it, is therefore a bit beyond me, I'm afraid. No offence, Cary, I honestly don't see what's so bad about an occasional føck in a pm and why you, as an adult, need to be protected from it.

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,174 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Jul 18, 2017 16:18 |  #33

Can we have a filter to protect me from PMs written by people who misspell a lot of words?

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,174 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Jul 18, 2017 16:33 |  #34

And a filter that blocks out the names of foods I can't stand. The worst one is c*tt*ge ch**se. I don't want to see that! Broccoli is okay.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
Joined Apr 2014
Psych Ward, East Wing, USA
Jul 18, 2017 16:42 |  #35

OhLook wrote in post #18405187 (external link)
Can we have a filter to protect me from PMs written by people who misspell a lot of words?

That's the inspiration for a portion of my f-bombs.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,225 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Jul 18, 2017 17:13 |  #36

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18405185 (external link)
When to use profanity and when not depends on the company one keeps, doesn't it? My friends and I use føck quite a bit, in a casual way that is, not in anger or any other negative way. But none of us would do that in different company. Although in the Netherlands and in Western-Europe altogether, we're generally quite a bit more relaxed about language than people across the big pond are; profanity is just not an issue. Why an adult would want to protect him/herself from it, is therefore a bit beyond me, I'm afraid. No offence, Cary, I honestly don't see what's so bad about an occasional føck in a pm and why you, as an adult, need to be protected from it.

You make some lofty assumptions, bah ha ha, that I'm an adult. My wife would vehemently disagree! :D

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Joined Sep 2008
Jul 18, 2017 17:39 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #37

LOL. Well, that settles it then. :lol::lol::lol:

Levina

VisualEchos
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2010
Missouri
Jul 18, 2017 19:16 |  #38

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18405185 (external link)
When to use profanity and when not depends on the company one keeps, doesn't it?

This.

Profanity is a tool, like any other, and the more tools one has...

~Andrew from Rig-Proexternal link Galleryexternal link

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,225 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed. 4 edits done in total.
Jul 18, 2017 19:25 |  #39

VisualEchos wrote in post #18405337 (external link)
This.

Profanity is a tool, like any other, and the more tools one has...

That isn't the issue, the issue is I would rather people not use it when talking to me. Profanity isn't a tool if it fails to convey your message because somebody has tuned you out. If somebody PMs me and is throwing around profanity, it is likely I will just delete the message. Not much of a tool in that regard!

Or I could say...

You just don't f$&$*$% get it, do you? I don't want people s&#$*$ talking around me, it is f&##$# crazy to have to listen to that f*#(#$($ s^*#$#$ all the time. I am just going to f*((*$#% tune you out, and delete your f#$#(#*$ message, you a&#$#@. So take that, you f*#$##% 'tard.

Now which is better? :D There are constructive ways to communicate. An occasional expletive is fine, but some folks really over do it and that is when it becomes a bit frustrating, on forums, in verbal communications, and in private technical tools, like slack, IM, text, etc.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,174 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Jul 18, 2017 19:27 |  #40

VisualEchos wrote in post #18405337 (external link)
Profanity is a tool, like any other

And, like other tools, it loses its edge if overused.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Joined Sep 2008
Jul 18, 2017 20:10 |  #41

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18405346 (external link)
That isn't the issue, the issue is I would rather people not use it when talking to me. Profanity isn't a tool if it fails to convey your message because somebody has tuned you out. If somebody PMs me and is throwing around profanity, it is likely I will just delete the message. Not much of a tool in that regard!

Or I could say...

You just don't f$&$*$% get it, do you? I don't want people s&#$*$ talking around me, it is f&##$# crazy to have to listen to that f*#(#$($ s^*#$#$ all the time. I am just going to f*((*$#% tune you out, and delete your f#$#(#*$ message, you a&#$#@. So take that, you f*#$##% 'tard.

Now which is better? :D

Yeah, but that's an extreme example! I don't know anybody who talks like that. But an occasional, well placed, appropriate føck? Or, oh, dare I mention it, the c-word even! :eek:
However, even though I'm comfortable using four-letter-words, I am well aware that in my country nobody cares about it but in other parts of the world people think differently. And as I'm also rather well mannered, I'm always careful on the internet, especially with Americans, knowing they are often particularly sensitive about it. So you could say that the use of profanity too is bound by rules of conduct. At least for me it is.

Levina

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,225 posts
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed.
Jul 18, 2017 20:20 |  #42

Levina de Ruijter wrote in post #18405391 (external link)
Yeah, but that's an extreme example! I don't know anybody who talks like that. But an occasional, well placed, appropriate føck? Or, oh, dare I mention it, the c-word even! :eek:
However, even though I'm comfortable using four-letter-words, I am well aware that in my country nobody cares about it but in other parts of the world people think differently. And as I'm also rather well mannered, I'm always careful on the internet, especially with Americans, knowing they are often particularly sensitive about it. So you could say that the use of profanity too is bound by rules of conduct. At least for me it is.

I do, the guy 2 offices over seems to do this every day when something breaks in the software we host... This is in an professional office space as well. :(

I will throw out a few here and there verbally, but I never put it into writing on anything. Just my personal preference, but I want those things that are public record to be a bit more professional, even in my personal attachments.

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
Joined Sep 2008
Jul 18, 2017 20:31 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #43

If somebody does this on a daily basis they should do a course in anger management! Unprofessional behaviour as well.

As for your own preference, fair enough, Cary. :-)

Levina

sponsored links

2,051 views & 34 likes for this thread
Why am I getting this in my PM??
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.