Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 18 Jul 2017 (Tuesday) 07:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon 77D vs Fuji XT-20

borism
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2008
Florida, Weston
Jul 18, 2017 07:27 |  #1

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I post anything here in the forums
I'd like to ask your advice
I have a Canon 6D with a few lens (50 f1.8, 40 f2.8, 14mm f2.8 100mm f2.8 macro and 24-85 USM and 580EXII flash) I like Canon and this is my "serious" setup (love full frame and low noise) -- Not a professional at all, some portrait work here and there, travel photography

Also for my travel set up I have a Sony a6000 with a 19mm, 30mm, 50mm, 12mm, kit lens and 50-210 zoom
I have decided to get rid of my Sony, I just dont like it very much, the only thing I like is the small size and the 12mm f2 lens, I do like that I can review my images on the EVF on sunny days

So I have been looking into either get a Canon 77D (even a T7i but rather the 77D) with a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 for my travel, is a little larger camera but I think I will enjoy more the experience taking pictures.

However I have been enticed by the Fuji XT-20 with the 18-50 f2.8-4 kit lens (roughly the same price at 1200$ with lens) lots of great reviews and mirror-less is the future blah blah blah..
It looks like a photographers camera, lots of dials, great lens selection (not cheap dough)
I like the idea of a EVF on the Fuji where i can review the images on a sunny day

I love the swivel screen of the Canon 77D and touch screen implementation and dials mostly like my 6D so similar in use, SO

What do you think? would you go for the Fuji, try it and have 2 systems? or stay with dslr Canon in one system?

I would love to hear your thoughts, thank you in advance

CANON 6D - SONY A6000

sponsored links
AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Jul 21, 2017 10:34 |  #2

The Fuji will have fuji flavour ߘ

I love owning two systems for specific reasons. The image quality of the Fuji has a very pleasant look that I need to massage my Canon files to get. The Fuji distinctly have a pleasing look IMO.

Fuji seems to work well on human subjects with a more analog film look. Less digital with smoother transitions while still retaining a sharp look.

I will say I really like my 80d a lot too. It's smaller / lighter than my 5d3 and the performance is great.

Run/gun with flash work fuji still doesn't do it for me. Canon is my workhorse.

IMO canons zooms still have better bokeh if you compare canon f2.8 zooms. Fuji excels in their primes.

I urge you to test run the Fuji world. 6d still is an amazing IQ beast. I absolutely love Fuji but it still cannot ever replace my canon AF system for my style I shoot.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Jul 21, 2017 11:43 |  #3

I dropped all my Canon gear last year [5D3 and 'L' & Art lenses] to shoot Fuji. Haven't looked back yet, it shoots everything I put in front of it. I had a chance to shoot with an X-T20 a few weeks ago. It's a great little camera and the AF is right up there with it's big brother. If you are looking for light weight it's a good choice.

I dropped Canon as I no longer could tell the difference, I had to guess what camera took what shot & that was a real eye opener for me.

Full frame is lovely alright but really the difference is so small these days that, to my eyes, I don't see the need. Plenty of Fuji shots on my Instagram and a few Canon ones as well.

Cameras: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2
Lenses: XF16mm F1.4, XF 18mm F2, XF 23mm F1.4, XF 35mm F1.4, XF 56mm F1.2, XF 90mm F2, XF 16-55 F2.8, Samyang 8mm F2.8 Fisheye & 12mm F2, Zeiss 35mm F2.4 MC
Gear: AD600BM, Nissan i40, AL-H198, ThinkTank Airport Security 2, Peli 1514, Ona Bowery

flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Jul 21, 2017 13:26 |  #4

Kim,

Tough call as we still do not know how particular the OP is when it comes regarding files.

One thing I still find very different from Canon files to fuji is how they render. f/8 to f/11 does have a different look on the two camera makes.

One of my images (not really tweaked to it's full potential but it's an ad) is used for one of the Biggest VW shows in Canada. I use ultra wide angle lenses a lot and my Canon delivers this specific look that my Fuji with 10-24mm UWA lens cannot deliver. This is where my Fuji cannot deliver the sunflare I want at small apertures. Fuji render of leaf foilage has a certain look that can look much different to a Canon, Nikon or even Micro 4/3.

My current fuji lenses or even one's I've sold cannot produce this type of look I want with flash work. This is of course my style I produce for remote flash work but for much more simpler no flash available light photography the Fuji and Canon image quality works great.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from AlanU's gallery.
HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

This boils down to an individuals "signature" look as well as gear/photographic style adaptation to the final image.

Borism if you fancy the 24mm FOV look the fuji 16mm f/1.4 is truly a superb lens. It almost has image quality of an older generation 24Lmk1 prime lens. The sharpness is very good but you cannot compare it to the prime lens micro contrast of a 24L mk2, 35Lmk2, 35 f/2IS or any newer generation Canon lens production.

If you've ever played with Newer Canon mk2 (mk3) lenses or Sigma ART lenses the fuji cannot match that type of micro contrast. In all honesty that is not a big deal to me. However I'm just stating some differences I still see from my Canon and Fuji gear.

The beauty of difference in owning 2 systems is more "paint brushes" to choose from. You can utilize different manufacturers way of how they render the world. I'm needing to buy a booster battery grip for my fuji X-t2 is because the battery life cannot keep up with my run/gun usage. Even with a pocket full of spare fuji batteries I do sometimes miss the "moment" when my battery suddenly dies. I've honestly haven't encountered this issue with my Canon gear in many years as they seem to just have more mAh of juice to last longer without a body grip.

I'd urge you to rent gear and see how the camera reacts with your style of photography. This is very dependent on individual type of photography as well as "signature" fuji look. You already know what Canon will look like with your style.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Jul 21, 2017 15:10 |  #5

AlanU wrote in post #18407731 (external link)
Borism if you fancy the 24mm FOV look the fuji 16mm f/1.4 is truly a superb lens. It almost has image quality of an older generation 24Lmk1 prime lens. The sharpness is very good but you cannot compare it to the prime lens micro contrast of a 24L mk2, 35Lmk2, 35 f/2IS or any newer generation Canon lens production.

If you've ever played with Newer Canon mk2 (mk3) lenses or Sigma ART lenses the fuji cannot match that type of micro contrast. In all honesty that is not a big deal to me. However I'm just stating some differences I still see from my Canon and Fuji gear.

This is not how I viewed the lens, least the XF16mm F/1.4 that I own. I find the IQ staggeringly good with outstanding contrast and colours, even compared to the Art lenses. That is fairly obvious when you look at the SOOC images between the two systems, even when mounted to the Fuji body but at $1000 probably out of reach. Plenty of examples online too. It's one of my favourites of all the lenses I owned.

The XF18-55 is a good lens, sold as a kit lens but the optics are very good. A great place to start your Fuji journey.

Cameras: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2
Lenses: XF16mm F1.4, XF 18mm F2, XF 23mm F1.4, XF 35mm F1.4, XF 56mm F1.2, XF 90mm F2, XF 16-55 F2.8, Samyang 8mm F2.8 Fisheye & 12mm F2, Zeiss 35mm F2.4 MC
Gear: AD600BM, Nissan i40, AL-H198, ThinkTank Airport Security 2, Peli 1514, Ona Bowery

flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

borism
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2008
Florida, Weston
Jul 21, 2017 17:02 as a reply to AlanU's post |  #6

Thank you Alan and Kim for your reply, I am planing on renting a XT20 with a kit lens, maybe sell my Sony gear, keep my Canon 6D (while not a perfect camera I love the look)
Thank you, I will be looking your instagram feed.

CANON 6D - SONY A6000

sponsored links

862 views & 1 like for this thread
Canon 77D vs Fuji XT-20
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.