Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 27 Jun 2017 (Tuesday) 02:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Any experts with hard drive storage ideas?

AzzKicker
Goldmember
1,085 posts
Joined Jul 2003
Rio Grande Valley, Texas
Jul 12, 2017 10:27 |  #16

I haven't put it in the For Sale Section yet but I'm selling a Drobo 5N system with 9TB of drives. What I like about the DROBO system is you can hot swap drives of different sizes. Its really good system for backups. But like others have said, I keep multiple backups of very very important photos. I'll back them up on a DVD, SSD 1TB Drive I have, and on a NAS.

Ruben D. Zamora
www.rubenzamora.com (external link)
Canon 1Ds Mark III, 50mm 1.8, 24-105 F4 L, 580EX II, Genesis 200 Strobe

chevyzen
Joined Nov 2012
Jul 21, 2017 06:50 |  #17

I'm not a professional, just have lots of pics of kids and family and memories. Probably have around 10K in the past 3-4 years. My back up plans are terribly inefficient, but I am in the process of streamlining data.

I have an older Mac 09-10 that will be updated in a year probably, running El Capitan. I'm adding a 4T external that I am going to partition into 2 spaces. 1 to store original LR directory and files and the other half as "back up" space. I realize this is same drive so both are vulnerable, but i will be using another 1.5TB external drive that will be used as another back up. I am also going to take advantage of the photo storage with Prime.

we don't store a lot of important data on our computer other than memories/photos. The rest i could mostly care less about. Anyway, I plan to run auto daily back ups with Time Machine and weekly do a manual back up thru time machine with the other external drive that will stay disconnected other than for back ups. I am not sure how up loading to Prime storage works yet, have not used it before. But as I understand Prime storage for now at least is included with Prime membership? and canon raw files are acceptable? or do they all need to be converted to a jpeg or something before uploading?

It's probably not a perfect plan, but it's a plan for now. any glaring mistakes?

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Jul 21, 2017 13:41 |  #18

Consider buying a docking station and buy WD GOLD drives and the WD blacks also have a good reputation.

I like my NAS system but it's definitely a convenience thing and not truly a backup. Cost factor is also a hit. My Qnap with 4 x 6tb WD red drives in canuck bucks was about $2200 bucks. It would have been more logical for my home NAS to be simpler with a mirror raid and more individual separate hard drives.

HGST is now getting some great reliability. I now have a preference to Western digital and HGST. I will not buy a "packaged" external drive but instead buy individual hard drives and backup using a docking station or in my case installing another drive in my desktop.

What is interesting is everyone has specific ways of backing up. Read forums/articles like mad and do what you feel is right.....

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

tim
Light Bringer
50,867 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Post has been edited 4 months ago by tim.
Jul 21, 2017 15:35 |  #19

chevyzen wrote in post #18407479 (external link)
I'm not a professional, just have lots of pics of kids and family and memories. Probably have around 10K in the past 3-4 years. My back up plans are terribly inefficient, but I am in the process of streamlining data.

I have an older Mac 09-10 that will be updated in a year probably, running El Capitan. I'm adding a 4T external that I am going to partition into 2 spaces. 1 to store original LR directory and files and the other half as "back up" space. I realize this is same drive so both are vulnerable, but i will be using another 1.5TB external drive that will be used as another back up. I am also going to take advantage of the photo storage with Prime.

we don't store a lot of important data on our computer other than memories/photos. The rest i could mostly care less about. Anyway, I plan to run auto daily back ups with Time Machine and weekly do a manual back up thru time machine with the other external drive that will stay disconnected other than for back ups. I am not sure how up loading to Prime storage works yet, have not used it before. But as I understand Prime storage for now at least is included with Prime membership? and canon raw files are acceptable? or do they all need to be converted to a jpeg or something before uploading?

It's probably not a perfect plan, but it's a plan for now. any glaring mistakes?

From what you've said, a fire or theft could lose all your photos if it happened right now. Get a copy of your images offsite, preferably in an incremental backup system, or an archiving system.

I have one near site, one hard disk offsite, and three cloud backups (different storage locations) of my family photos. Some are full RAW, some are medium jpeg to reduce storage costs (S3/Glacier).

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

1,904 views & 10 likes for this thread
Any experts with hard drive storage ideas?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.