Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 30 Jun 2016 (Thursday) 02:28
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon or Nikon (Fair Comparison)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
May 09, 2017 06:17 |  #31

Thorrulz wrote in post #18063151 (external link)
Okay, I was incorrect in when the ef mount was introduced but for the most part Nikon lens with an F mount still work on the majority of their digital bodies without any type of adapter or modification. A canon fd lens needs an adapter to work with the canon digital bodies.

Still a plus if you shoot Nikon.

Of course there is a big difference between a lens mounting on the body, and actually working correctly. IIRC with the older mechanical F mount lenses modern DSLR bodies do not have the mechanical linkages to allow the aperture to be operated. So you are stuck with no stopping down, since the aperture stays open when you remove them from the body. Also unlike Canon you cannot put a Nikon body into Av mode and have it set the correct exposure on lenses without electronic apertures. Canon bodies will set the correct shutter speed with either a fully manual adapted lens, or actually no lens at all. The same deficiencies apply to Pentax and their development of the K mount. I shot Pentax K mount when I shot film, the first new SLR I owned was an ME Super that I got as a present Christmas 1980. I moved to Canon when I went digital when I realised that the Pentax K mount lenses I had would not work with any of the Pentax DSLR's then on the market in 2005.

It probably made sense to keep the original mount form factor when AF was being first introduced, it meant that the technology could be changed slowly at first. It does though mean that as the evolution continues you reach the point where you have a new mount species anyway, that loses the backwards compatibility. When that new species has the same name though it does cause much confusion. That has actually lead to the point where even some of the lenses with features like AF will now not work with the newer bodies. Good luck with the Nikon alphabet soup you need to untangle to know if a specific lens will actually function on any particular body. Even if they are all F mount.

Oddly FD lenses are some of the hardest MF lenses to adapt to the EF mount. This is mostly because the FD mount is as large in diameter as the EF mount, and both mounts have just about the shortest registration distance for the 35mm format. So you end up having to move the lens forward a bit, and so need to have an optical element to get infinity focus. Having both a very large diameter mount, along with a very short registration distance, is an advantage when adapting lenses in other mount types though. So the Canon EF mount can actually be adapted to use a wider range of other mount lenses than any other mount in the 35mm SLR format world. Of course the "mirrorless" cameras can do even more mount type conversions, since they have such short registration distances you have plenty of room for conversion.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links
davesrose
Goldmember
2,774 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 5 months ago by davesrose.
May 09, 2017 15:21 |  #32

Thorrulz wrote in post #18063151 (external link)
Okay, I was incorrect in when the ef mount was introduced but for the most part Nikon lens with an F mount still work on the majority of their digital bodies without any type of adapter or modification. A canon fd lens needs an adapter to work with the canon digital bodies.

Still a plus if you shoot Nikon.

There are pros and cons about what Canon decided to do for their EF EOS system, and what Nikon did for their F mount. Canon may have alienated their FD mount users by going to a completely different lens mount for AF...but it meant full legacy support for any camera that's EOS (be it a 90's film SLR to any new Canon DSLR). To use an analogy, they pulled the thorn out quickly. Nikon had a slower transition to supporting a lens system with an AF motor in the lens. Many shooters shopping for used Nikon lenses for their D3000 or D5000 systems, for example, may find out too late that the AF lens won't auto focus on their body (because it's missing an AF motor in the body). Canon hasn't had to bother trying to put an AF motor in any of their EOS bodies.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Deardorff
104 posts
Joined Oct 2016
May 13, 2017 06:38 |  #33

Put a half dozen images from any subject or venue from both brands/similar bodies up for viewing and see if you can pick which image came from which brand.

Buy the camera that feels best to you. All the nitpicking and spec worry is silly.

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

PNPhotography
Joined Sep 2007
central PA
May 13, 2017 08:27 |  #34

As a longtime Canon shooter and for the last 2 years I've been shooting both systems (Canon 6D & 7Dmkii,Nikon D750 &D5500) .IMHO their systems have become very much like each other and are very close in a lot of areas anymore.
The main difference in Image quality that I see has to do with white balance.The Nikon's at least in my stable are not very good in artificial light,always having a yellow/pink cast that's pretty hard to get out-even shooting RAW.Skin tones are not a Sony sensor "thing" if you know what i mean? and I have friends that shoot Nikon also and I see it in their photography too.
I do love my D5500 though-Prolly the best j-pegs of any camera I own,or ever owned!!
You wanna talk build quality-well I see them as equal.
Wanna talk video-Canon all the way.DPAF rocks
Wanna talk ergo,Both can be gotten used to although Nikon's camera fonts are straight outta a cheap 80's video game-Yuck.Canon leads the way in touch screens.
Up until very recently I'd advise any new shooter to Nikon but seeing Nikon's financial woes and the fact that Sony is going to maybe leave them high and dry in regards to sensors and since Canon upped their game on DR I'd advise Canon to any new shooter.

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om ...2755174446/?ref=boo​kmarks (external link)

texaskev
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
Austin & Dallas Texas
Post has been edited 3 months ago by texaskev.
Jun 24, 2017 03:22 |  #35

I spent a year trying to pick one over the other back when I decided to go down the road to be pro photographer. After all that the lightbulb finally came on and I realized the following: Both systems are fantastic. You'll see great images taken by both (and several other brands). So it really doesn't matter.

It's much less about the gear and more about the photographer. But if you must find something to focus on to make this decision then compare lenses that you will be using for your type of photography. Bodies come and go but glass is forever. Lens quality is where to put your money if you are on a budget.

Canon 1DX II, 1DX, 11-24 F4 L, 100 F2.8 L, 16-35 F2.8 L II, 17-40 F4 L, 24-70 F2.8 L II, 24-105 F4 L II, 70-200 F2.8 L II

tomstephens89
Joined Sep 2015
Jun 26, 2017 05:50 |  #36

Deardorff wrote in post #18353506 (external link)
Put a half dozen images from any subject or venue from both brands/similar bodies up for viewing and see if you can pick which image came from which brand.

Buy the camera that feels best to you. All the nitpicking and spec worry is silly.

This is the best reply in this entire thread.

I bought my first DSLR (Canon 450D) back in 2008 I think, only ever used it in automatic, but loved it nonetheless.

4 years ago I bought a Canon 7D, loved it, learned how to use semi auto & full manual with it, started getting the photography bug at this point.

3 years ago, Canon 5D III. Full frame and LOVING IT.

2 years ago, switched to Nikon D810 and sold all canon gear. Great camera, loved it, really impressive image quality, amazing dynamic range etc...

2 weeks ago... switch back to Canon. 5DSR. Reason? I felt far more comfortable with the Canon 5D3 than I ever did with the Nikon D810. So much so that as soon as the 5DSR arrived... I was almost instantly familiar with the controls and button layout, even after 2 years of Nikon.

What I am trying to say here is that Camera's have gotten so good now, especially the high end models that there isn't really a genuine technical reason that one would avoid one brand over the other. Rather the choice is much more simple... Its down to personal preference and what feels better in the hand.

And the Canon used Lens market is massive...

See my flickr profile here (external link)
Canon 5DSR | Canon 16-35 F4L | Sigma 50mm F1.4 ART

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,183 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Jan 2007
Detroit, MI
Post has been edited 3 months ago by JeffreyG.
Jul 07, 2017 08:09 |  #37

"All generalities are false."

and of course,

"The thing you seek is always in the last place you look."

and finally,

"Only the mediocre are always at their best."

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII

Ah-keong
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2016
Jul 24, 2017 02:30 |  #38

generally think there may be minor plus and minus here and there....
so hope they choose a system carefully, weigh carefully and then commit to a system....

keep shooting and churn out beautiful images!

:-D

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART |
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT |
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |
Tenba DNA 15 Messenger | Think Tank Photo Digital Holster 40v2.0 | Speed Changer v2.0

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Jul 24, 2017 10:32 |  #39

JeffreyG wrote in post #18396133 (external link)
"All generalities are false."

and of course,

"The thing you seek is always in the last place you look."

and finally,

"Only the mediocre are always at their best."

I think the whole quote is: "All generalities are false, including this one."

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

sponsored links

9,467 views & 24 likes for this thread
Canon or Nikon (Fair Comparison)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.