Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 18 Jul 2017 (Tuesday) 06:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

POTN G-Series Speed Challenge #647 - Transportation (redux)

Spoco57
Joined Mar 2013
Allegany County, NY
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Spoco57. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 18, 2017 06:44 |  #1

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #647 -Transportation Redux

Hopefully this very broad topic will redeem me from the mire of my "feet in mouth" fiasco! Any unique photo that features something related to transport will be considered. Extra credit for imagination, unique perspectives, fun shots, different modes of transport etc etc. Hope you can have fun with this one. The sky (or water, or land, or space) is the limit!

Thanks for the submissions this week. It got my feet out of my mouth!

M_Six- Riverboat: Interesting submission for sure. I see a Chicago flag on the front? The greenish color cast in that photo, as well as the size make it look like a throwback postcard from the 70's. Perhaps this was the day that all the canals in Chicago go green, then? Thanks so much for this photo.

JimAskew-RV Oldschool. I'm definitely partial to old school. B&W definitely lends itself to the subject. A conestoga wagon was a surprise. Thanks for the photo!

Teekay- Travelling Art Gallery: Yeah, I wonder how many millions of dollars worth of spray paint go on the sides of railroad cars. And sometimes you run into some graffiti that really is impressive. Nice grab of a scene we've all observed but not taken the time to record. Vibrant colors.

OhLook-Strangers on a Train Platform: I love the geometry of this photo, with the diagonal grid, the curved roofline and the well placed people. This one is unique and cool! Thanks

Maureen-Up the Mississippi: Looks like a tourist postcard shot! Looks like a fun way to celebrate the river. I could enjoy that ride, I think. Bright colors. Thanks for the shot.

Trumper-Saltburn North Yorkshire: I asked for unique perspectives and that's a unique perspective. You managed to capture the steepness and the destination. That is a really interesting photo, and also an unexpected mode of transportation. I like this shot. Thanks

corythosaurus-Buttons: I'm trying to get the significance of the title but I think I'm missing it. My father-in-law had a red squareback that he let me date his daughter in from time to time. It was a typical VW of its time. Underpowered and severely underheated. I guess in his mind, it was OK to let me use it because I wasn't likely to get crazy with it, and he was right. Nice to see one that's still in motion. Your photo took me back! Thanks!

Nice to have so many to choose from. I'm going with Trumper's funicular. Pretty cool way to get up and down a steep sea bank.

#1 Trumper's Saltburn
#2 OhLook's Strangers
#3 Jim's oldschool conestoga and Cory's squareback

Thanks folks!
Have at it, Trumper!

Remember, if you post a photo, you may be the winner. Be prepared to host and judge a new challenge.

To submit, click the button labeled 'POST TO THREAD' and put your Photo Title in the first line of the post, above your photo.
Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT, July 24, 2017.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera G1,G2,G3,G5,G6,G7,G9,G​10,G11,G12,G15,G16,G1 X,G3 X,G5 X,G7 X,G9 X,G1 X mark II,G7 X Mark II and powershot Pro 1.
    -
  2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
    -
  3. Size -- photo must be no less than 800 pixels and no more than 1280 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
    -
  4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
    -
  5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo Title in the first line of the post.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
    -
  7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.
    -
Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... As soon as possible, max. until Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Click FOLLOW THREAD in the top right of the challenge's thread page.
Notifications of new posts will appear below the POTN logo and the main links in the top of each forum page.
Note: Email notifications are not active at the moment, they will be available soon.
Pay attention to your PMs or 'Heads Up!' messages. This will allow the host, helpful members or moderators to contact you about winning or ineligible photos.
Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.[/QUOTE]

sponsored links
M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,577 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Jul 18, 2017 17:33 |  #2

Riverboat

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7287/27062028905_0d1b559b13_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/HenY​ng] (external link)Chicago (external link) by Mark Johnson (external link), on Flickr

Mark J.
Gear

JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
Springfield, VA
Jul 19, 2017 12:50 |  #3

RV - Old School!
G5X: f/4, 1/640th, ISO 250, 17MM

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

teekay
Goldmember
2,548 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Jul 19, 2017 17:47 |  #4

Traveling Art(?) Gallery

IMAGE: http://community.netidea.com/teekay/temp/Train1280.jpg
G15

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,957 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Jul 20, 2017 19:39 |  #5

Strangers on a Train . . . Platform

HOSTED PHOTO

G15

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,620 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Maureen Souza.
Jul 21, 2017 13:59 |  #6

Up the Mississippi

Pro 1 f/8 SS 1/320

HOSTED PHOTO

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

Trumper
711 posts
Joined May 2003
Jul 22, 2017 08:29 |  #7

G1X MK11
Saltburn North Yorkshire

HOSTED PHOTO

corythosaurus
Goldmember
1,344 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Rocky Mountains
Jul 22, 2017 11:41 |  #8

Buttons

G10

HOSTED PHOTO

Websiteexternal link - Facebookexternal link

Spoco57
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2013
Allegany County, NY
Jul 24, 2017 13:45 |  #9

Thanks folks! Winners up.

Sure appreciate the participation this week.

Cheers,
Steve

Trumper
711 posts
Joined May 2003
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Trumper.
Jul 24, 2017 13:57 |  #10

:-)Blimey thank you for posting the challenge and giving me the task of thinking of something LOL. Saltburn on the Sea is on the North East Yorkshire coast.I believe it is powered by the weight of water .
If anyone is interested https://en.wikipedia.o​rg/wiki/Saltburn_Cliff​_Lift (external link)
Personally i thought that all the entrants could have won .I have an idea for next week but it make take a bit of imagination so i am hoping people will have a look/think . :)

teekay
Goldmember
2,548 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Jul 24, 2017 13:57 |  #11

Congratulations to Trumper and his runners-up! Good subject, Spoco (far better than feet;-)a.) All good entries, and as soon as I saw Jim's old "RV" I knew I was safe to enter without fear of winning - I really liked that B&W shot.

corythosaurus
Goldmember
1,344 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Rocky Mountains
Jul 24, 2017 14:00 |  #12

Good call on the winners, Steve! I didn't have anything more unique for the entry this week but wanted to include an entry.

Spoco57 wrote in post #18404702 (external link)
corythosaurus-Buttons: I'm trying to get the significance of the title but I think I'm missing it. My father-in-law had a red squareback that he let me date his daughter in from time to time. It was a typical VW of its time. Underpowered and severely underheated. I guess in his mind, it was OK to let me use it because I wasn't likely to get crazy with it, and he was right. Nice to see one that's still in motion. Your photo took me back! Thanks!

Buttons is what my family calls the Squareback. I picked it up about a year ago and installed a whole new interior that has 28 fabric upholstery buttons throughout, hence the name.

HOSTED PHOTO

Websiteexternal link - Facebookexternal link

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,577 posts
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Jul 24, 2017 14:18 |  #13

Good choices. Lots of great shots.

Kudos to Trumper and the other winners. Love the shot, Trumper. We'll have to visit that place if our next journey to the UK brings us anywhere nearby.

Mark J.
Gear

Trumper
711 posts
Joined May 2003
Jul 24, 2017 14:27 |  #14

I have posted my challenge ,please have fun and think very broadly http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​484040

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,957 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Post has been edited 2 months ago by OhLook with reason 'Got the host wrong at first. Arrrgh!'.
Jul 24, 2017 15:15 |  #15

Congratulations to Trumper, Jim, and Cory. Spoco, thank you for hosting and for second place (some of the glory, none of the work). Trumper, your shot conveys vertical distance so well, I want to back away nervously from the screen.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

sponsored links

2,648 views & 9 likes for this thread
POTN G-Series Speed Challenge #647 - Transportation (redux)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.