Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation
Thread started 23 Jul 2017 (Sunday) 00:42
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

de Havilland Mosquito

squirl033
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Everett, WA
Jul 23, 2017 00:42 |  #1

Paul Allen's "Flying Heritage and Combat Armor Museum" in Everett, WA, held their annual "Skyfair" event today, and the main attraction was the first official public flight of their newly restored de Havilland Mosquito. The Mosquito was a jack-of-all-trades for the RAF during WWII, serving from 1942 through the end of the war as a light bomber, night fighter, photo-reconnaissance and maritime attack plane... not bad for an aircraft made almost entirely of wood! Most of the restoration and testing was done in New Zealand, and the plane was shipped to the museum in Everett for re-assembly and painting. It's painted in the RAF "night intruder" scheme of gray and olive topside, and flat black undersurfaces. The Mosquito is now a permanent part of FHCAM's collection, and is scheduled to fly again at their "European Theater Day" on August 26th.

IMAGE: https://image.ibb.co/gUEB25/IMG_1660_crop1_sm.jpg

IMAGE: https://image.ibb.co/k6h9pk/IMG_1706_crop_sm.jpg

IMAGE: https://image.ibb.co/jNbG25/IMG_2244_crop_sm.jpg

Rocky ~
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
~ Three Dog Night
www.northwestnaturalim​agery.comexternal link

sponsored links
joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Jul 23, 2017 02:03 |  #2

Very nice!
I didn't manage to see this one during it's very brief airborne phase at Ardmore so it's great to see what it looks like now - thanks!

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
Joined Dec 2011
Jul 23, 2017 18:59 |  #3

Superb shots and what a plane - so wish we had one flying over this side of the wet stuff.

If my late farther recalled it correct as he worked on them during the war, the Mosquito was also the fastest prop plane around at the time.

P.

Nikon D7100, Nikkor 300 f4 IF ED :-)

squirl033
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Everett, WA
Jul 23, 2017 23:03 |  #4

joeseph wrote in post #18408982 (external link)
Very nice!
I didn't manage to see this one during it's very brief airborne phase at Ardmore so it's great to see what it looks like now - thanks!

Thanks, Joeseph!

Pagman wrote in post #18409498 (external link)
Superb shots and what a plane - so wish we had one flying over this side of the wet stuff.
If my late farther recalled it correct as he worked on them during the war, the Mosquito was also the fastest prop plane around at the time.
P.

Thanks, Pagman. It was one of the fastest prop planes around when it was introduced, but a number of other fighters surpassed it by 1943-44. Still, it was no slouch!

Rocky ~
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
~ Three Dog Night

atexasphotog
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
San Antonio Texas
Jul 24, 2017 11:11 |  #5

Nice shots indeed, me likey!!:-D

Canon 6D,T3i, Powershot G16| 50mm 1.8II|100-400mm F4.5-5.6L|24-105 IS F/4 L||16-35mm F/2.8 vIIL|lCanon 1.4x mkII TC|580 EXII |Keeping it all in a KATA Backpack
http://texasphotog.dev​iantart.com/ (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,170 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006
Merseyside, England
Jul 24, 2017 16:51 |  #6

Pagman wrote in post #18409498 (external link)

Agreed, great shots of an awesome plane. I love the mossie and still remember seeing one at airshows over here in the past, although not for many years as it was the only airworthy example in the UK and sadly crashed in '96.

There are two projects currently ongoing to restore a mossie to flight in the UK. "The people's mosquito" is a public funded project like Vulcan to the skies, relying on public donations, the other project is a commission from the same people who put up the money for the one pictured above. That one is to be based at Biggin Hill, however things have gone quiet on that one lately so that project may have stalled.

Hopefully though, we should have a mossie back in UK skies in the future. I look forward to seeing it fly.

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
Joined Dec 2011
Jul 24, 2017 16:53 |  #7

sandpiper wrote in post #18410205 (external link)
Agreed, great shots of an awesome plane. I love the mossie and still remember seeing one at airshows over here in the past, although not for many years as it was the only airworthy example in the UK and sadly crashed in '96.

There are two projects currently ongoing to restore a mossie to flight in the UK. "The people's mosquito" is a public funded project like Vulcan to the skies, relying on public donations, the other project is a commission from the same people who put up the money for the one pictured above. That one is to be based at Biggin Hill, however things have gone quiet on that one lately so that project may have stalled.

Hopefully though, we should have a mossie back in UK skies in the future. I look forward to seeing it fly.

We can hope ;-)a:-)

P.

Nikon D7100, Nikkor 300 f4 IF ED :-)

darmapow
Joined Sep 2009
Chester UK
Jul 24, 2017 17:47 as a reply to sandpiper's post |  #8

Fingers crossed! I live near Hawarden where the one that crashed in '96 was kept. Such a magnificent looking and sounding plane it would be fantastic to see one again.

Canon EOS 7D 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS, Nifty Fifty,100-400L,24-105L

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/darmapow/ (external link)

Snydremark
Myth-informed
17,862 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Issaquah, WA USA
Jul 24, 2017 18:07 |  #9

A bit nicer than my attempts at that bird last year; thanks for sharing, Rocky! :)

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

squirl033
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Everett, WA
Jul 25, 2017 00:15 |  #10

The one in my photos belongs to Paul Allen's (yes, "that" Paul Allen) Flying Heritage and Combat Armor Museum. Paul owns quite a number of rare warbirds, including the only existing example of a Focke-Wulf 190D-13, the only FW 190A-series flying with the original BMW 801 radial engine, and airworthy examples of the Sturmovik IL2, Curtiss P-40C, Hurricane XII(a), a Polikarpov I-16, Bf-109E-3, and numerous other operational aircraft and armored vehicles. His museum also houses a MiG-29UB which is fully operational but rarely flown, and a Republic F-405G Thunderchief that flew "Wild Weasel" missions over SE Asia from 1968-1973.

Rocky ~
~ Three Dog Night

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Jul 25, 2017 01:00 |  #11

"The people's mosquito"

the words from their website "RL249 will then be test flown in New Zealand" are music to my ears/eyes... :lol:

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

darmapow
Joined Sep 2009
Chester UK
Aug 15, 2017 17:49 |  #12

Just seen an article at the link below that complete Mosquito blueprints believed lost have been found

http://www.bbc.co.uk ...north-east-wales-40873628 (external link)

Canon EOS 7D 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS, Nifty Fifty,100-400L,24-105L

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/darmapow/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,149 views & 30 likes for this thread
de Havilland Mosquito
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.