Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras
Thread started 09 Jul 2017 (Sunday) 03:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

A6500 for landscape

Somebloke
633 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Jul 09, 2017 03:26 |  #1

Hi all, for the last few years I've used a D810 and while I loved the image quality I didn't like the bulk of it and the ability to take video was a little limited. The bulk ended up with it being left at home unless of I was heading out specifically for landscape.

So anyway I bought a A6500 and omg this little camera is just amazing, it really is. It is perfect for what I wanted-a small compact camera that I can whip out at the drop of a hat and snap a pic or take a video. It is sharp as a tack and the 4K video is spot on. The autofocus is just breath taking. I am really happy.

So happy I sold my D810 and my lenses. But and it's a big but I miss taking landscapes and am now in two minds as to whether I should get an A7rii.

So what are your thoughts? Is there really that much of a difference considering as much as I like to pixel peep I will most likely never print any huge prints?

sponsored links
yellowt2
184 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Jul 10, 2017 15:31 |  #2

Have you tried taking the A6500 out for landscapes? If not, give it a try and compare the results to what you used to get with the D810. If you feel like the A6500 is lacking, then get the A7Rii; if not you just saved yourself a bunch of money

Somebloke
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Jul 10, 2017 16:17 as a reply to yellowt2's post |  #3

Thanks, yeah that would be the logical idea but I was hoping to avoid buying a wide angle until I was sure about what I was doing. And yes I know landscape isn't specifically wide.

I was just hoping for some user opinions because otherwise I'm extremely impressed with this little camera and might be able to save myself a bucket of money.

yellowt2
184 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Jul 11, 2017 12:26 |  #4

From what I understand the A6500 has one of the better crop sensors available at the moment. You give up some resolution and dynamic range to the D810 (and A7Rii), but it still gives very good results.

I'm actually in a similar position; I have the original A7 and am planning to replace it with either an A6500 or A7Rii, but haven't yet decided which. They both offer way better auto-focus, IBIS, and 4K video. The A6500 sensor should give results similar to what I'm used to with the A7 (for still photos), but in a smaller/lighter package; the A7Rii stays the same size, but gives me a better sensor. The cost isn't actually a huge difference, because if I get the A6500 I'll end up buying some lenses (16-50 kit, 10-18, and probably a pancake prime), so the total $ will be about the same. Portability or resolution; decisions, decisions...

Somebloke
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Somebloke.
Jul 12, 2017 04:54 as a reply to yellowt2's post |  #5

Thanks. At the moment I only have the 28mm f2. Will head out on the weekend and take some landscapes with it to see how it performs.

That aside I just have to say again how impressed I am with the camera. I have owned a 5d3, a d810 and this a6500 definitely holds its own-pics are crisp as down to skin pores at 100% crop. AF is silent in video mode. Even the auto mode is so good I am finding myself not bothering with manual.

Happy days.

DBNissan
Joined Mar 2010
NorCal's Delta Valley
Jul 12, 2017 08:32 |  #6

Ahh but shooting the a6500 (or any of the Sony mirrorless cameras) in manual is so much more fun! You can make adjustments and what you see on the screen or in the EVF is what you'll get when you press the shutter release. No more chimping! :lol:

~Dan 6D | 80D | 50D | S120 | 24-105 f/4L | 17-55mm f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/1.8 STM | 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Sigma 8mm f/3.5 | Tamron 18-270mm VC | Tamron 70-300mm VC | Tamron C-AF BBAR MC7 2xTC | 580EXII | 430EXII | YN-500EX | YN-622C | Flashpoint RoveLight 600 | Sony a6500 | 18-105mm f/4 G | Sigma MC-11 | Godox TT685S | Godox X1T-S
www.DBNphotography.com (external link)

dwaisman11
32 posts
Joined Apr 2017
Jul 14, 2017 08:05 |  #7

I own the A6300 which has the exact same sensor. The images the camera produces are amazing. I like it a lot. I own the Sigma 19mm which is sharp enough for and the FF Sony 28 mm which is my go to lens for landscape photography.
I found this camera to be very versatile. I do a lot of video, and with the downfall of the overheating after continuous recording, this is an absolutely great body for its price.

Yet, I'm considering jumping to the FF wagon once the A7III comes out.

Best regards

Photography tours (external link) at Photo Tours South America (external link)

Tsmith
Formerly known as Bluedog_XT
10,427 posts
Joined Jul 2005
South_the 601
Jul 24, 2017 23:54 |  #8

I recently did the same thing parting ways with all my Canon gear. 7D and various L lens.

It's going to be nice having this camera on the hiking trails and with the reduced weight and size I can actually bring along a telephoto lens!

The raw files are way better than the 7D.

Canon EOS 7D | Canon EF-S 10-22mm | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS
Canon PowerShot S95
MY PBASE GALLERYexternal link

tonyniev
Cream of the Crop
11,217 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2009
Las Vegas
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by tonyniev. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 25, 2017 01:13 |  #9

I would recommend the Sigma 19, it is always on my A6000

sometimes my wife takes snapshots with it like at Grand Canyon recently

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Photography/Bernie-Nieveras-images-at-Grand-Canyon-April-2017/i-5ZWPShf/0/35bb8850/XL/DSC05283-XL.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com .../DSC05283-XL.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

Cheers,
Tony
Leica M10 & M3
Sony A7R & A6000
Canon 5D2 & 7D

Somebloke
THREAD ­ STARTER
633 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Jul 25, 2017 04:00 |  #10

Thanks everyone. Id have to agree with all the comments-this camera is just amazing! It is perfect for what I wanted-a small light camera that I am actually inclined to take with me on most occasions rather than a huge bulky and heavy camera that I was only taking on exception.

Just the other night for example-kid was doing something awesome, whipped the camera out in full auto, instantly focuses on his face automatically, take shot and just amazing. Previously with the D810 the camera wouldn't have even been handy because due to the size and weight would be packed away. If I did have it Id have to select focus point, scroll it across to his face, focus..and by then have missed the moment anyway.

Same with the 4k video-face detect and auto focus is just sublime. So impressed I can literally put this in my jacket pocket and pull it out at a moments notice and capture amazing video footage. As for overheating I think this is a bit over beaten-first point is how many people have had it actually happen, how often would you be continually recording anyway, and cameras have a limit where they have to stop so they can be sold as cameras and not video cameras so meh? Which camera can you tape continuously for more than 30 minutes?

I still haven't got out to test its 'landscapability' just yet though.

sponsored links

1,127 views & 9 likes for this thread
A6500 for landscape
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.