Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras
Thread started 25 Jul 2017 (Tuesday) 12:38
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Considering the big switch

jbm7777
Joined Aug 2008
Freehold, NJ, USA
Jul 25, 2017 12:38 |  #1

So here is another thread from a guy considering ditching Canon for Sony. I'm hoping you guys can help.

Current lineup -
6D - 17-40L - 35 art - 70-200 2.8L - 100L Macro

Considering the following lineup
a7rii - 24-70 Gmaster - sigma 85 art - maybe something small for walk around on family vacations etc - maybe a 70-200 f4 in the future (just because of the price and I use a lot of flash/strobe so I don't really need the 2.8)

I used to shoot a lot of landscapes and I just don't have the time for that anymore. Mostly working in studio, with strobes or on location with strobes or flashguns. I shoot a lot of kids, and I have one of my own now so I need something with faster AF. The a7ii was nice but the AF and continuous eye AF on the a7rii is huge for me especially with the kids. I figured with this setup, I can shoot sort of wide, have a nice portrait lens for that beautiful bokeh, have a good walk around lens and eventually something for longer reach when my kid starts playing sports.

I'm wondering you thoughts on this setup, and I'm wondering if anyone has a better suggestion than the g-master 24-70 because that price hurts! Maybe a canon 24-70ii used in the 1400 range with the sigma mc-11 that I'll need for the sigma art?

Thanks all!

Canon 6D | Canon 17-40L | 70-200L IS II | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | Canon 100L | Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT | xplor 600 | flashpoint 360 | alien bee B800
Flickr  (external link)
instagram.com/imijry (external link)
imijry.net (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Jul 25, 2017 12:49 |  #2

Is there any reason why you are changing your current focal lengths? I.e why not swap the 17-40 for the sony 16-35 f/4, the 70-200 for one of the sony options etc. You seem to be jumping to a different range of focal lengths (there may be good reason for this).

That aside have you considered the sony 24-70 f/4? Much more affordable and much smaller. Gets a bad rap but actually a decent lens and as you mention studio work and strobes the f/4 shouldn't be limiting.

For your 85 option you can either adapt or go for the sony 1.8, batis 1.8 or 1.4 GM. The GM has arguably the best rendering for portraits. The sony and the zeiss are very close (zeiss is better) but it's seriously close. These native options will give you full native focus - eye af etc. The adapted sigma will give you that with the mc-11 adapter but they tend to hunt in low light (adapted lenses in general)

For your 17-40 assuming for landscapes you could actually just keep using that lens.

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
x100F | α7R II
Voigtlander 4.5/15 | Loxia 2.8/21 | Samyang 1.4/24 | Zeiss 4.5-5.6/100-300
Sony 2/28 | Sony/Zeiss 1.8/55 | Batis 1.8/85

jbm7777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2008
Freehold, NJ, USA
Jul 25, 2017 13:07 as a reply to xpfloyd's post |  #3

Thanks Eddie!
I'm switching up the focal lengths has a lot more to do with what I'm shooting now. Used to go out and shoot a lot of landscapes, hence the 17-40 and the 35. Now, the 70-200 is basically glued to my camera but I think that because of mainly shooting kids, I tend to be a bit closer and a 24-70 would be a better fit with a dedicated portrait prime for the chances I get to shoot with someone who I can direct a bit more.

I did not consider the 24-70 F4 just because I want to isolate the subject a bit more than F4 when I bring it out as my only lens without lighting for family events.

Am I on the right path?

Canon 6D | Canon 17-40L | 70-200L IS II | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | Canon 100L | Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT | xplor 600 | flashpoint 360 | alien bee B800
Flickr  (external link)
instagram.com/imijry (external link)
imijry.net (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Jul 25, 2017 13:11 |  #4

Ahh ok, if you want eye af and focus that works in all conditions then the GM is basically the only option for a 2.8 lens at 24-70, however if you can live without eye af and can live with AF that sometimes hunts in low light then the adapted 24-70ii is definitely an option. For the 85 I would definitely consider a native option as the sigma is expensive and massive

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
x100F | α7R II
Voigtlander 4.5/15 | Loxia 2.8/21 | Samyang 1.4/24 | Zeiss 4.5-5.6/100-300
Sony 2/28 | Sony/Zeiss 1.8/55 | Batis 1.8/85

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
Sep 23, 2017 03:11 |  #5

I'm way late to this thread but I made the switch (well mostly, still adapting the 400DOii to the a9) but kept the EOS 24-70/4 and for its macro
ability. This Canon is the only normal zoom lens I know of with a dedicated macro function that does a great job. This can save me from packing
a dedicated macro lens on trips where macro is not the focus and may or may not happen.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

672 views & 0 likes for this thread
Considering the big switch
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.