Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 24 Apr 2017 (Monday) 13:14
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

400 DO II vs. 500 f/4 II

MatthewK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Jul 08, 2017 11:37 as a reply to post 18397052 |  #166

Normally you have your outdoor gear, to include a pot and portable stove for boiling water. Now, if you were suddenly dropped into the wilderness Bear Grylls-style, boiling water would be a challenge without a container that could be used to boil said water.

flickrexternal link

sponsored links
Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Jul 08, 2017 13:29 |  #167

MatthewK wrote in post #18397111 (external link)
Normally you have your outdoor gear, to include a pot and portable stove for boiling water. Now, if you were suddenly dropped into the wilderness Bear Grylls-style, boiling water would be a challenge without a container that could be used to boil said water.

I've heard that dandelion greens are great to eat, and don't need to be boiled... but there might not be that many to be found in the woods.

So if lost, I guess your strategy might be to try to make it to a park or suburban lawn where dandelions are plentiful.

Hasselblad 500 C/M with 80mm/2.8 Zeiss Planar (trying to sell it); Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jul 08, 2017 15:13 |  #168

Archibald wrote in post #18397193 (external link)
I've heard that dandelion greens are great to eat, and don't need to be boiled... but there might not be that many to be found in the woods.

So if lost, I guess your strategy might be to try to make it to a park or suburban lawn where dandelions are plentiful.

There are actually an immense amount of dandelions growing in wilderness woods and meadows. I have seem great quantities of them growing in the wild, both here in the northwestern United States, as well as back in the northeastern U.S. They are probably one of our most abundant, wide-ranging wild plants.

I have eaten them from time to time, but to be honest I don't really like them.

I'm still confused about the stinging nettle - first Medicine Man said they were nutrition-free, then he said they are nutrition-rich. Mayhaps he is pulling our leg with the double-talk?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
Jul 12, 2017 03:10 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #169

No, my bad, I miss typed at first. Nettles really are chocked full of goodies.

Now there are vessels to boil water everywhere, almost anywhere in the woods or fields there is dirt under your feet.
Dig a hole and you have a vessel. I have dug a hole, lined it with a spare clothing article, built a fire beside the hole, heated
rocks (don't use river rocks they explode), once the rocks are super hot put them into the hole on top of a couple of rocks
that prevent direct contact with the clothing article.
If you are lucky enough to find a bush or tree with really large leaves they will work to line the hole. If you can find sizeable bamboo
then you have an instant vessel if you can cut a hole in it.
Vessels and fire are not a problem unless you live in my temperate rainforest where everything is constantly damp...but even then
there are ways, just depends on what's in your possibles bag :)

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

MatthewK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Jul 26, 2017 05:24 |  #170

Dear Diary,

It's been a few weeks now, and I flat out admit to missing the 400 DO II. The weight of the 500 is a little annoying, which I knew going in, but is the extra stop of light from not using a TC worth the cost/weight? This has been the #1 question since the start, and I knew that it would take a while owning both before I could come to my own conclusions. On the bright side, the 500 is phenomenal in the IQ department (so is the DO).

One intended benefit from having the 500 is that I'm considering using the 100-400 II + 1.4 TC more again, for times when I want to go lighter. The venerable zoom was seeing 0% use when I had the DO II, but now I think it'll get the nod more often. I'm heading to Florida tomorrow, and the 100-400II is in the bag; neither the 400 DO or the 500 would be considered for this trip (birding may occur, but mostly won't), but in the event that it was a bird-centric trip, it'd be nice carrying the DO and not the 500. For instance, I just got the MindShift PhotoCross 13 sling bag, and the DO II can fit, so I could take it if I wanted to. There's the size advantage showing it's benefit.

A very small part of me is weighing (pun?) whether or not to reverse my decision, and return to the DO II. Part of the joy/pain of this hobby, I guess, sometimes it takes a lot of trial and error (and $$$) to figure out exactly what you need in the end.

flickrexternal link

MedicineMan4040
Joined Jul 2013
Jul 26, 2017 07:54 |  #171

^tried to tell you in a loving way :)
Now Florida, bird venues. I've shot a bunch of them...TAKE the 100-400ii with 1.4TCiii on the 1D body
and you'll rule the world.
Well that is from memory (the vast majority of my Canon kit is now sold).
Current hands on is that the a9 + 400DOii works a charm :) and that is a kit this old man
can wield.
Don't you know that the 600DObr is forthcoming....that is when the 500ISii will become really heavy ;)
But seriously, when do you really need 600???? Not in Floridia. 400 with TC is golden there. Want the proof?
Here it is (though some are with a 500ISii)-
https://www.flickr.com .../albums/72157680274​375832 (external link)

flickr (external link)

MatthewK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Jul 26, 2017 09:14 |  #172

That you did, Robert. :-) Your insights were/are very valuable in this decision making process. The A9 sounds like an incredible camera, how are you getting along with going from the Canon ergos to Sony's?

I'm sticking to the 500 for the forseeable future to see how I adapt to it, and I believe it'll take some time (like it did with the DO). The recent 100+ degree, humid weather made being outside unbearable, and the extra weight in that soup was a penalty. I can't wait for the cool fall/winter days, which is when I'll be more active outdoors. My main point of contention with the 500 is the lack of a comfortable position for my left hand, as this is the only place that the weight starts bothering me when bracing. The lens barrell is just too fat.

In a way, balancing use time with the 100-400 is the logical way I had envisioned it, so this is the proverbial "where the rubber meets the road" of my plan. I'm really looking forward to using it on this upcoming trip!

flickrexternal link

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Jul 26, 2017 09:49 |  #173

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18411609 (external link)
Well that is from memory (the vast majority of my Canon kit is now sold).
Current hands on is that the a9 + 400DOii works a charm :) and that is a kit this old man
can wield.

Hey MM, I read your previous comments about the a9 with a Canon lens.
Boy, you sure got me interested. Looking forward to renting the a9 and adaptor.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

MedicineMan4040
Joined Jul 2013
Jul 27, 2017 00:45 |  #174

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18411681 (external link)
Hey MM, I read your previous comments about the a9 with a Canon lens.
Boy, you sure got me interested. Looking forward to renting the a9 and adaptor.

This isn't the thread to tout the a9, just remember I didn't have any choice but to shift to Sony...but Frank, Matthew I've been with Sony since the NEX-5 so I'm used to the vagaries of that system...ergos of the a9 are outstanding WITH grip. It would be too small without.
Yes the 400DOii (all I have left besides the 70-300L Poof is using with her EOS M-5) really is working uncannily with the Sony excepting the loss of several of the focus modes and only 10fps---but AF/Af-tracking/and acquisition speed is top drawer. I wouldn't hesitate to use the a9 at any Florida birding venue. I say Florida just because every place I've shot their I used and did well with 400 and/or 400 with 1.4TC. Speaking of TCs the a9 doesn't care if it is 1.4 or 2.0.
I'll be curious what I do when Sony issues an e-mount 400mm prime....Matthew maybe the timing will be good for you to re-add the DOii :)

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

21,488 views & 107 likes for this thread
400 DO II vs. 500 f/4 II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.