Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 25 Jul 2017 (Tuesday) 13:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sun 07/25/2017

Inspeqtor
Chuckmeister? Really people??
Joined Mar 2008
Elkhart, Indiana
Jul 25, 2017 13:46 |  #1

These are nothing special, but I was "practicing" for when the Eclipse happens, provided Northern Indian has a clear sky that day.
I am not sure what time it will happen here or how to find out. I know it will not be even close to total... will the moon cover 50% or 5% of the sun here in Indiana??
How do I find what time it happens in Northern Indiana?

Here are my practice shots all ISO 100 and totally manual.

(yes I understand with the moon covering a portion of the sun I will have to play with shutter speeds)

1/350 at f/5.6

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4311/36028666201_01ea7bcd96_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/WTJk​f2] (external link)07-25-2017 Sun 1-350 f5.6 (external link) by inspeqtor (external link), on Flickr

1/500 at f/5.6

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4298/35354821403_6c9b3a1e08_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/VSbG​Eg] (external link)07-25-2017 Sun 1-500 f5.6 (external link) by inspeqtor (external link), on Flickr

1/750 at f/5.6

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4301/35354819363_31ab9026fb_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/VSbG​46] (external link)07-25-2017 Sun 1-750 f5.6 (external link) by inspeqtor (external link), on Flickr

1/1000 at f/5.6

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4320/35354817193_ebfc68b175_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/VSbF​pF] (external link)07-25-2017 Sun 1-1000 f5.6 (external link) by inspeqtor (external link), on Flickr

CC not only welcome but it is wanted!

Thank you for looking

P.S. Straight out of camera except for resizing to 1280

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II *** iOptron 3302W Star Tracker

sponsored links
Ascenta
Joined Sep 2005
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Ascenta. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 25, 2017 13:54 |  #2

I'm over in Ft Wayne and figured it wouldn't even be worth while. But after looking at the maps, it may not be bad at all. The total eclipse is just to the south of IN so we're not that far away. About a 0.85 magnitude. I may give this a shot.

https://www.greatameri​caneclipse.com/nation/ (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,325 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jul 25, 2017 20:15 |  #3

What's up with the odd title?

Tom

Inspeqtor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2008
Elkhart, Indiana
Jul 25, 2017 23:48 |  #4

Ascenta wrote in post #18411051 (external link)
I'm over in Ft Wayne and figured it wouldn't even be worth while. But after looking at the maps, it may not be bad at all. The total eclipse is just to the south of IN so we're not that far away. About a 0.85 magnitude. I may give this a shot.

https://www.greatameri​caneclipse.com/nation/ (external link)

I have looked at this map before, but it did not make any sense to me, but now it does. Sometimes my brain does not work as fast as I wish it did. It appears on the map this will take place at about 2:22 in the afternoon Indiana time and as you say 0.85 to maybe 0.88 magnitude so it will be a lot better than I initially thought it would be.

Charles
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II *** iOptron 3302W Star Tracker

Inspeqtor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2008
Elkhart, Indiana
Jul 25, 2017 23:49 |  #5

Bassat wrote in post #18411266 (external link)
What's up with the odd title?

The odd title is the date I took the pictures of the Sun for practice.

Charles

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jul 26, 2017 01:15 |  #6

My suggestion would be to scout your area heavily in order to find compositional items to add to your images. . A photo of just the moon, or just the sun, or even of just the moon and sun together, will be cliche, as gazillions of photographers and non-photographers alike will be shooting this eclipse.

If you are interested in creating eclipse images that are more unique and interesting, then you could find some foreground elements to include in the scene - things such as a tree-lined horizon, or an american flag on a hilltop, or a body of water with ducks and geese on it, or a city skyline, etc., etc.,etc. . . . . . anything that presents well in silhouette can be used as foreground elements for the eclipse.

These things will take some figuring out, inasmuch as point of view, focal length, aperture, etc. . This is why scouting is so important - not only location scouting, but experimenting with settings, as well.

It seems like you are on the right track by getting out and photographing the sun now, so that you can get a feel for the exposure triangle that you will be working with. . If you start to include foreground elements in sun photos, you will soon develop a feel for what apertures you need to use with objects at various distances, so as to get both the foreground object and the sun/moon in focus at various focal lengths.

Get out there and see exactly where the sun is at 2:22 in the afternoon - that way you will know just where you need to be in order to align your chosen foreground elements with the sun. . Of course, the sun's position will change a little bit each day, but it'll be close enough that you will only have to make minor adjustments to your POV on they of the big event.

My gut instinct tells me that the sun will be quite high in the sky at that time of day, so you will probably have to get VERY low to the ground in order to get things to line up with the sun. . Also, you will probably have to get rather close to the objects in order to align them with the sun, so you'll probably be working with very small apertures, such as f32 or thereabouts. . And obviously, you will need long focal lengths in order to fill a good-sized area of the frame with the sun.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

OhLook
Spiderwoman
14,965 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Jul 26, 2017 01:28 |  #7

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18411453 (external link)
If you are interested in creating eclipse images that are more unique and interesting, then you could find some foreground elements to include in the scene - things such as . . . a body of water with ducks and geese on it

When the sky gets dark, those ducks and geese will think it's bedtime.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Inspeqtor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2008
Elkhart, Indiana
Jul 26, 2017 02:24 |  #8

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18411453 (external link)
My suggestion would be to scout your area heavily in order to find compositional items to add to your images. . A photo of just the moon, or just the sun, or even of just the moon and sun together, will be cliche, as gazillions of photographers and non-photographers alike will be shooting this eclipse.

If you are interested in creating eclipse images that are more unique and interesting, then you could find some foreground elements to include in the scene - things such as a tree-lined horizon, or an american flag on a hilltop, or a body of water with ducks and geese on it, or a city skyline, etc., etc.,etc. . . . . . anything that presents well in silhouette can be used as foreground elements for the eclipse.

These things will take some figuring out, inasmuch as point of view, focal length, aperture, etc. . This is why scouting is so important - not only location scouting, but experimenting with settings, as well.

It seems like you are on the right track by getting out and photographing the sun now, so that you can get a feel for the exposure triangle that you will be working with. . If you start to include foreground elements in sun photos, you will soon develop a feel for what apertures you need to use with objects at various distances, so as to get both the foreground object and the sun/moon in focus at various focal lengths.

Get out there and see exactly where the sun is at 2:22 in the afternoon - that way you will know just where you need to be in order to align your chosen foreground elements with the sun. . Of course, the sun's position will change a little bit each day, but it'll be close enough that you will only have to make minor adjustments to your POV on they of the big event.

My gut instinct tells me that the sun will be quite high in the sky at that time of day, so you will probably have to get VERY low to the ground in order to get things to line up with the sun. . Also, you will probably have to get rather close to the objects in order to align them with the sun, so you'll probably be working with very small apertures, such as f32 or thereabouts. . And obviously, you will need long focal lengths in order to fill a good-sized area of the frame with the sun.

Tom, some very good ideas to think about!

OhLook wrote in post #18411462 (external link)
When the sky gets dark, those ducks and geese will think it's bedtime.

If am am able to find a location that would include ducks and/or geese (or something totally different), then I would not be able to use my long focal length lens, but would have to instead use a wider lens, possibly my Tokina 11-20 lens which of course would then make the sun/moon quite small in the image....

With only about 2 minutes 40 seconds, that does not give me anytime to take any pictures with one lens, then switch lenses and then recompose to do both long and wide lenses.... do I use wide first, then recompose for the long lens? hhmmmm

Charles

Inspeqtor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2008
Elkhart, Indiana
Jul 26, 2017 02:28 |  #9

When I was taking the shots yesterday afternoon, with camera mounted on a tripod, since the camera needed to be pointed pretty high, I found to keep my lens at the long length (500mm) I had to get some masking tape and wrap that around my lens to keep it from falling down to the 150mm length.

That did work well... does anyone have any better ideas? (For the long shots anyway)

Charles

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,325 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Jul 26, 2017 05:56 |  #10

Inspeqtor wrote in post #18411416 (external link)
The odd title is the date I took the pictures of the Sun for practice.

Now I feel like a complete BONEHEAD! I read that as SUNDAY 7/25/17. Then I looked at your photo of the SUN, and it never occurred to me that the title referred to the star, not the day. (Note to self: engage brain before putting fingers in gear.)

Tom

Inspeqtor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2008
Elkhart, Indiana
Jul 26, 2017 09:07 |  #11

Bassat wrote in post #18411545 (external link)
Now I feel like a complete BONEHEAD! I read that as SUNDAY 7/25/17. Then I looked at your photo of the SUN, and it never occurred to me that the title referred to the star, not the day. (Note to self: engage brain before putting fingers in gear.)

LOL!! Oh that is a good one... sounds like something I would also do!!

Charles

DavidWatts
614 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Chicago Area
Post has been edited 2 months ago by DavidWatts.
Jul 26, 2017 14:08 |  #12

Inspeqtor wrote in post #18411042 (external link)
Here are my practice shots all ISO 100 and totally manual.

(yes I understand with the moon covering a portion of the sun I will have to play with shutter speeds)

I'll bet you won't need to change the exposure with partial moon coverage. If shot totally manual (suggested for this), I don't believe you want the remaining portion of the Sun to be dimmer shots, especially if you are compositing sub shots together in a series. There is enough brightness remaining even with the moon over a large portion of the Sun. Disclaimer: I have not yet shot a total eclipse.

My Smugmug siteexternal link

Inspeqtor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2008
Elkhart, Indiana
Jul 26, 2017 23:21 |  #13

DavidWatts wrote in post #18411863 (external link)
I'll bet you won't need to change the exposure with partial moon coverage. If shot totally manual (suggested for this), I don't believe want the remaining portion of the Sun to be dimmer shots, especially if you are compositing sub shots together in a series. There is enough brightness remaining even with the moon over a large portion of the Sun. Disclaimer: I have not yet shot a total eclipse.

For these types of shots, including when I shot the moon, I ALWAYS shoot in manual mode!

Charles

sponsored links

722 views & 5 likes for this thread
Sun 07/25/2017
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.