Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk
Thread started 05 Jul 2017 (Wednesday) 14:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Problematic portrait

craigat
Joined Oct 2010
Boston
Jul 05, 2017 14:29 |  #1

I have a friend who's asked me to help her get some new headshots. Happy to do it, of course, but there's a technical problem that I don't know how to overcome. She has an eye condition, forget what it's called, but it makes her retina reflect light like a cat (sadly, it also makes her blind in that eye). To look at her, you'd never know, but because of the reflection effect, one eye seems to really glow for a camera when lit properly. Obviously, the goal would be for her eyes to look balanced, but if I use any standard technique that would result in catch lights in the eye, one of them will be several stops brighter than the other. I'm sure there's some technique or approach that would allow me to compensate, but I have no idea of what. Would appreciate any suggestions, comments, etc you can provide.

Thanks

sponsored links
nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Jul 05, 2017 14:44 |  #2

1. Did you ask her how she wants you to handle it?

2. Opinion, use a lighting style that will flatter the shape and structure of her face, and fix the eye in post. If the's facing toward the camera, you can probably use Photoshop to take the pupil/iris from the correct eye and flip/transform it to fit the glowing eye. Or, if that's not possible, take a couple of shots, as if doing HDR bracketing, so you have an exposure with a less-bright eye to drop in.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

craigat
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
Boston
Jul 05, 2017 14:47 as a reply to nathancarter's post |  #3

interesting idea, I hadn't thought of replacing the eye. I have spoke with her, and she doesn't like the way the glowing eye looks in pics, so though she doesn't know anything about "how" to do it, she would like for them to look normal (which is how they look in normal life).

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
12,496 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Jul 06, 2017 08:26 |  #4

craigat wrote in post #18394811 (external link)
interesting idea, I hadn't thought of replacing the eye. I have spoke with her, and she doesn't like the way the glowing eye looks in pics, so though she doesn't know anything about "how" to do it, she would like for them to look normal (which is how they look in normal life).

If it's something that's only seen in photographs, it's a photographic problem like red-eye or exaggerated perspective that doesn't even need to asked about.

I would cut and paste the iris from the other eye as has been suggested. Be sure to make note of the actual brightness level and any shadows differing in that eye from the other and match them as necessary. This kind of operation is one with which a tablet comes in handy for controlled cutting, erasing, and such.

craigat
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Oct 2010
Boston
Jul 06, 2017 08:45 as a reply to RDKirk's post |  #5

Fortunately, I use a tablet for retouching, it does make life much easier (at least it after I got used to it). I would agree that this is a photo only problem, but I've not had to do any red eye fixes or such before, certainly haven't had to replace an eye altogether. Nonetheless, that does seem to be the way to go.

davesrose
Goldmember
2,778 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Jul 07, 2017 19:27 |  #6

I've done quite a bit of photo retouching of glasses glare, bruises, and such. I'd say take the best photo you can and then see what turns up. I don't think it's a real problem because it's one eye. See how it turns out. If the effected eye has a red eye type effect, you can easily copy the good eye and reflect it in a new layer (and then fine tune it with a transform to size it the same way as the effected eye). I'm also an illustrator, so it's true I'm comfortable painting catch lights too. Well it's more important if it's going on in the pupil...so depends on scenario.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Jul 07, 2017 21:05 |  #7

Shoot her in profile.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Jul 11, 2017 10:51 |  #8

Exactly! Portrait doesn't have to be passport picture.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

tdlavigne
294 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Jul 19, 2017 02:15 |  #9

If she doesn't like it then treat it like any other portrait you'd shoot and just replace the eye with the other. Paint in a catchlight if need be. ~5-10 mins work in PS.

Nathan
So boring
Joined Aug 2007
Boston
Jul 27, 2017 13:54 |  #10

What she might often run into is a situation where the flash is fired directly in front of her and the retina reflects right back at the camera - i.e. common with camera phone and point & shoot flash photos.

Lighting these portraits as a photographer would - by raising the light source above her and perhaps to the side - will reduce the chances of the light reflecting in her eye back at the camera.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links

1,907 views & 1 like for this thread
Problematic portrait
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.