Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 20 Jul 2017 (Thursday) 22:19
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

how did you come up with a creative name for your photo business

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
Jul 25, 2017 05:08 |  #16

copmagnet82 wrote in post #18409608 (external link)
Thank you guys for your responses. A lot of them are my exact thoughts. It seems like I'm trying too hard and it's starting to be very frustrating. Some of you have already stated the cons of using one's own name... I really don't want to do it, since if I decide to expand in any direction I don't want to be limited by the name. This is so annoying...

Some of the biggest companies in the world are named after their founder.

Some days I'm the dog, other days I'm the lamppost

sponsored links
keeperseeker
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2011
b.c. canada
Jul 25, 2017 08:03 as a reply to john crossley's post |  #17

John Crossley " Some of the biggest companies in the world are named after their founder " might be true,,,it is also very true that it is in fact much harder to sell a small bus. when its sole name,,,is that of its original owner. Some types of bus. might be more or less sensitive to this,,,,,but in the majority of cases it is going to be a liability and either eliminate,,,or greatly reduce what you can sell your bus. for,,,after years of hard work of building it up. The ego appeal,,,can have a financial cost down the road.

The fact that there’s a highway to hell and only a stairway to heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers.

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Jul 25, 2017 09:03 |  #18

My best friend and I were tromping around Death Valley and the Nevada desert for several days and we kept coming upon one great shot after another. We kept yelling to each other......'this is a photo opportunity'.

I took the first letter of each word of that phrase....T I A P O........my company is TiapoWorx Digital Arts.

Plus it reminds of my dear friend that I was with at that time.

He was dead 10 months after we got back from that trip. We were buddies for 50 years.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
12,494 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by RDKirk. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 26, 2017 11:17 |  #19

My mom came up with the name of my photo business. I just looked it up on my birth certificate.

Here is the point:

Photography is a personally creative business. Whatever you might name your photography business, anyone who looks at your portfolio and picks up the phone is looking for you. They want your personal eye and style. They're not looking for "Wonderstar Photography," they want the person who shot that photograph.

Even if you develop a stable of protégés trained to see as you see and shoot as you shoot, it would still be your name that people look for (like, for instance, Philip Charis).

If you name your business something else, that merely puts a speedbump in the way. They have to figure out first of "Wonderstar Photography" leads them to you.

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Jul 26, 2017 13:16 |  #20

Bum with a Camera Photography

Has a nice ring to it.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
9,961 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Jul 26, 2017 13:25 |  #21

RDKirk wrote in post #18411739 (external link)
My mom came up with the name of my photo business. I just looked it up on my birth certificate.

Here is the point:

Photography is a personally creative business. Whatever you might name your photography business, anyone who looks at your portfolio and picks up the phone is looking for you. They want your personal eye and style. They're not looking for "Wonderstar Photography," they want the person who shot that photograph.

Even if you develop a stable of protégés trained to see as you see and shoot as you shoot, it would still be your name that people look for (like, for instance, Philip Charis).

If you name your business something else, that merely puts a speedbump in the way. They have to figure out first of "Wonderstar Photography" leads them to you.

Hehehe...precisely why I regret not using my name...but...hopefully your other name would begin to associate with the real you.

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
9,961 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Jul 26, 2017 13:28 |  #22

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18411833 (external link)
Bum with a Camera Photography

Has a nice ring to it.

Happy Snappy photography.

Wonderful Pictures Photography.

Snap Away photography.

Facebookexternal link

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,067 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Jul 26, 2017 13:50 |  #23

Snap Away Pet Photography

Perfectly ­ Frank
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
Jul 27, 2017 17:07 |  #24

TooManyShots wrote in post #18411839 (external link)
Happy Snappy photography.

Wonderful Pictures Photography.

Snap Away photography.

Good names!

Actually, I wonder if a whimsical name might attract more attention than a conventional one.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
9,961 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Jul 27, 2017 17:35 |  #25

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18412787 (external link)
Good names!

Actually, I wonder if a whimsical name might attract more attention than a conventional one.

Apparently, Happy Snappy Photography has been taken. Yes, I googled it. :) Yeah, apparently, the photographer also do $300 weddings too. The name conveys your type of photography. I want people to take my photography seriously and as the artistic expressions..whatever it is. I am less inclined to include words like snap, happy, beautiful, wonderful, or other common superlatives. Abstract is good. Words with a greater undertone. Then, again, if you use your own name, it won't matter....:)

Facebookexternal link

sponsored links

2,119 views & 21 likes for this thread
how did you come up with a creative name for your photo business
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.