Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases
Thread started 20 May 2017 (Saturday) 21:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Travel Backpack

MrWho
Goldmember
1,160 posts
Joined Aug 2009
North of Baltimore, MD
May 20, 2017 21:53 |  #1

Hello all!

I'm looking for a travel backpack to hold a 60D, flash and/or Vixia camcorder and 55-250. Budget is ~$100. My current bag holds my gear, but there's no room to add a flash and camcorder or any other things during travel. The current pick is a Vanguard Havana 41, but most backpacks for travel seem to be designed to hold a T6i at most.

Is the bag enough to hold my kit? If not, I'm open to suggestions!

Gear

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited 6 months ago by MalVeauX.
May 20, 2017 22:12 |  #2

Heya,

I use a Lowepro Flipside 400 AW. I march through swamps with it. Very modular, but can go from several small bits of kit to a serious telephoto setup, yet still is travel-size (lots of great inserts). And since it opens from the back, instead of like a traditional backpack, no one is opening it up in line and seeing what you got in there. Also you can rotate it and open it while still wearing it, to get at gear. Very handy. Built in tripod sling and built in rain cover too.

They're on ebay in surplus from like $25~50 all the time with free shipping.

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/2/1627/23592197523_037c7da6e3_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/BWLb​og] (external link)IMG_9365 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/2/1528/24760496215_c23f75f65b_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/DJ11​Ta] (external link)IMG_0823 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

MrWho
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,160 posts
Joined Aug 2009
North of Baltimore, MD
May 20, 2017 23:05 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #3

How is the mobility? Is it something that I can take into restaurants and on transport, or is it something I'd have to keep in a car?

Gear

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
May 21, 2017 07:21 |  #4

That's a personal thing. To me, it's a small backpack, and goes into places without a problem. It's not a big camping pack with bed rolls. Think typical school bag size, but for camera stuff. And look at the last image, that's with it not loaded up heavily, its actually quite small when its not stuffed to the max.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

MrWho
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,160 posts
Joined Aug 2009
North of Baltimore, MD
May 21, 2017 12:24 |  #5

Thanks!

Gear

Anandnra
31 posts
Joined Jan 2016
Tennessee, USA
Jul 26, 2017 08:04 |  #6

For travel, use a generic padded backpack. It will have top load, not too many compartments, won't stick out and you can carry few other non photographic things easily.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,456 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been edited 3 months ago by John from PA.
Jul 31, 2017 07:27 |  #7

MrWho wrote in post #18359389 (external link)
Hello all!

I'm looking for a travel backpack to hold a 60D, flash and/or Vixia camcorder and 55-250. Budget is ~$100. My current bag holds my gear, but there's no room to add a flash and camcorder or any other things during travel. The current pick is a Vanguard Havana 41, but most backpacks for travel seem to be designed to hold a T6i at most.

Is the bag enough to hold my kit? If not, I'm open to suggestions!

See the B&H deal of the day at https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...9_fastpack_250_aw_i​i.html (external link). Note the deal usually only runs until midnight of the day posted.

You can also go on the Lowepro site and using the bagfinder arrange your equipment in a bag and see how it fits. Go to http://www.lowepro.com​/bagfinder (external link).

Nick5
Goldmember
2,903 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Philadelphia Suburbs
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Nick5.
Jul 31, 2017 09:32 |  #8

MalVeauX wrote in post #18359398 (external link)
Heya,

I use a Lowepro Flipside 400 AW. I march through swamps with it. Very modular, but can go from several small bits of kit to a serious telephoto setup, yet still is travel-size (lots of great inserts). And since it opens from the back, instead of like a traditional backpack, no one is opening it up in line and seeing what you got in there. Also you can rotate it and open it while still wearing it, to get at gear. Very handy. Built in tripod sling and built in rain cover too.

They're on ebay in surplus from like $25~50 all the time with free shipping.

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/BWLb​og] (external link)IMG_9365 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/DJ11​Ta] (external link)IMG_0823 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

My Travel Backpack is the ThinkTank Streetwalker HD. Filled with two gripped bodies and 16-35, 24-70, 70-200, 24 TS-E, 600 EX-RT, lens hoods and other goodies.
Sure it's a heavy load, but does hold a bit if needed.
I then carry a ThinkTank Retrospective as my walk around bag whether here in the States or in Europe.
Malveaux. What do you know. Looking at your images above, I forgot how much I liked using my old Flipside 400. Although it doesn't hold quite as much, it holds quite a bit and comfortably as well. May have to put it to use.
Thanks!

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

MatthewK
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Post has been edited 3 months ago by MatthewK.
Jul 31, 2017 11:38 |  #9

I'm very similar to the OP, as my travel backpack needs have changed over the past year or two. Unless photography is the primary objective of the trip, I no longer will be taking a pack that is solely dedicated to photographic gear because I require room for other things you carry when traveling (outer layer, food/water, wallet, phone, documents, etc). Earlier this year I figured this out after walking around NYC for a few days with just a sling bag, and had issues with not having a place to stow my winter coat/gloves/etc when in doors because my pack only carried camera stuff. Annoying.

The Lowepro Sport AW 200/300: excellent bag, very manageable size and light weight, good space for other things. It was close to being my choice, but the camera compartment just didn't quite fit the gear I needed (100-400 II, 16-35 f/4, 5D4/80D). Some reviews on B&H have since pointed me towards Mindshift packs to try out.

flickrexternal link

Chris ­ Bellamy
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Aug 2012
UK
Jul 31, 2017 12:06 as a reply to MatthewK's post |  #10

Another recommendation for the flipside 400AW, which I keep coming back to, though I would like slightly better padding on the shoulders. Its a real classic and I love back panel access. It can carry a lot, but isn't really designed for prolonged very heavy loads in the same way that say, the Mindshift Rotation 180 Pro is able to handle with comfort, but that's a different beast.

I tried the MindShift photocross 13 at the weekend on a boat trip and a few hours island walk, but the old problem of sling bags and backache reared its head: 2kg load is a more than max for that type of bag, for me. Since my flask couldn't be tethered with the loop provided, it also fell out every time I slung the bag around, and I never remembered the next time...

I like the look of the MindShift backlight 26L, which seems essentially like a slightly taller variant of the flip side 400AW, with maybe even more space for other stuff, and hopefully perhaps better shoulder padding.
Chris

sawsedge
Joined Dec 2011
United States
Aug 02, 2017 00:00 |  #11

It's about double the stated budget, but I have a Mindshift Backlight 26L that I use for travel, short hikes, and car shooting. It has a rear opening like the flipsides or f-stop mountain series packs. It is tall enough to carry a 100-400 II with 1.4x with hood in the ready position, mounted on a 5D3 body (no grip), plus 3-4 other lenses and some filters, batteries, etc. It has a padded laptop sleeve, and the front pocket can expand for snacks or a layer. The hip belt and shoulder straps are nicely padded and as long as it isn't overloaded, is quite comfortable. It has dual waterbottle pockets on the sides, which are very deep - my tall 24 oz bottle can't fall out.

- John

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,711 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Aug 03, 2017 10:33 |  #12

Chris Bellamy wrote in post #18415517 (external link)
Another recommendation for the flipside 400AW, which I keep coming back to, though I would like slightly better padding on the shoulders. Its a real classic and I love back panel access. It can carry a lot, but isn't really designed for prolonged very heavy loads in the same way that say, the Mindshift Rotation 180 Pro is able to handle with comfort, but that's a different beast.

I tried the MindShift photocross 13 at the weekend on a boat trip and a few hours island walk, but the old problem of sling bags and backache reared its head: 2kg load is a more than max for that type of bag, for me. Since my flask couldn't be tethered with the loop provided, it also fell out every time I slung the bag around, and I never remembered the next time...

I like the look of the MindShift backlight 26L, which seems essentially like a slightly taller variant of the flip side 400AW, with maybe even more space for other stuff, and hopefully perhaps better shoulder padding.
Chris

Flipsides certainly get the job done if backpacks are your thing. I've got the 20L sport, really nice smaller setup, 400AW good sized bag fits a lot of stuff, and the 500AW, fits a TON of gear and/or large lenses.

Mindshift/Think tank will certainly make the better bag though, so if you plan on using the backpack as your main bag, it's probably the way to go.

Sony A7rii x2 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

lazybones
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Aug 03, 2017 19:23 |  #13

Another vote for the flipside 400AW, Just like MalVeauX said It's a great handy bag to have. I take my Flipside 400 AW with me when I go back to New Zealand every year plus it fits under the seat on the airplane which is great!! :-)

MrWho
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,160 posts
Joined Aug 2009
North of Baltimore, MD
Aug 29, 2017 20:43 |  #14

Thanks for the replies everyone! I ended up with the Hatchback 250 from Lowepro (new model) since it was a nice compromise between useable compartments and camera space. It ended up being everything I needed and then some, even seeing use in urban environments where it actually did a good job. Retrieving gear was a bit of a pain, but it was worth it since my bag was constantly banging into others and physically moved on two occasions where only the top compartment (empty) was vulnerable. Next time I will definitely take a much smaller kit and non-camera bag with insert with me.

Gear

SunD3v1L
46 posts
Joined Jan 2014
Post has been edited 2 months ago by SunD3v1L.
Sep 10, 2017 16:00 |  #15

For the budget proposed, Lowepro Video Fastpack 150 AW. If you want to bring more gear, the 250 AW version.

sponsored links

2,071 views & 9 likes for this thread
Travel Backpack
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.