Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 20 Oct 2011 (Thursday) 11:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Milkyway nightscapes

SCMatt
Joined May 2011
Columbia SC
Jul 29, 2017 13:06 |  #3781

Wasn't really setup for astro on my vacation to the beach, but we had a break in the clouds as they kept rolling in and it was spectacular to the naked eye so I had to rush to get this one. I think it turned out pretty decent given the ambient light of the houses and pier lights. Single 30sec shot.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4296/36073324995_60e9dd73ff_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/WXFd​Ke] (external link)Milkyway 2017 (external link) by Matt (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
tuffty
Joined Sep 2015
Gloucestershire, UK
Jul 29, 2017 15:10 |  #3782

pdxbenedetti wrote in post #18413686 (external link)
I haven't had much success with the content aware fill, more often than not it fills in the blurred trees with sky that doesn't match well with the local background sky and just looks funny when the sky is mask/blended with the sharp foreground shot. I've had more lucky with slightly scaling the sky once the blurry trees are aligned with the sharp trees, then warping a little more, then clone stamping out the remaining blurry edges that are visible. It's an insanely tedious process no matter what.

I have had mixed success too initially but tried a couple of different techniques with a degree of success.. one method was to cut the offending section out then loosely lasso round the cut out section before filling... seems to work a little better matching the surrounding area when there is less 'noise' to deal with..

I have as yet not used my tracker for a milkyway pic... weather is always bad when I have time and plausible when I don't :(

Going to make an effort to plan a few shots and see how it goes... sadly there are nothing but trees where I live lol

<tuffty/>

Ranie ­ Dib
Joined Sep 2010
San Diego, CA
Jul 30, 2017 10:51 |  #3783

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

www.raniedib.com (external link)

virginie24jb
Joined Dec 2013
Strasbourg, France
Jul 30, 2017 13:11 |  #3784

Finally got to go back under the stars!

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4295/36101602982_0fcd34c258_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/X1b9​NJ] (external link)
A Night Under The Stars (external link) by Virginie Bitterlin (external link), on Flickr

http://www.virginie-bitterlin.com (external link)
http://www.visiting-washington.com (external link)
500∞ (external link) - Flickr (external link)
Canon 6D, Canon T4i/650D, Canon 24-105, 18-135 IS STM, 50 f/1.8, 70-300 IS USM, Samyang 14mm f/2.8, Samyang 24mm f/1.4

pdxbenedetti
Joined Jul 2015
Salt Lake City, United States
Post has been edited 4 months ago by pdxbenedetti.
Jul 30, 2017 13:38 |  #3785

tuffty wrote in post #18414210 (external link)
I have had mixed success too initially but tried a couple of different techniques with a degree of success.. one method was to cut the offending section out then loosely lasso round the cut out section before filling... seems to work a little better matching the surrounding area when there is less 'noise' to deal with..

I have as yet not used my tracker for a milkyway pic... weather is always bad when I have time and plausible when I don't :(

Going to make an effort to plan a few shots and see how it goes... sadly there are nothing but trees where I live lol

<tuffty/>

I hadn't thought of trying it that way, I'll have to give it a go, thanks for the tip!

This time of year is tough out here in the west with the monsoonal moisture coming up from Mexico, makes the weather incredibly unpredictable, I've only been able to get out and have partially clear nights twice in the last month and half. Definitely frustrating stuff. Having to put off a bunch of compositions I planned earlier in the year because the core doesn't align properly anymore, all well, nature of the beast I guess.

Ended up getting a clear night on Friday night so I got a few shots after the moon set with the core in a vertical alignment over this worn down, graffitid up bus out in the western desert of Utah:

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4304/35417290594_8137a0aa7f_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/VXGS​zh] (external link)Your driver for the night (external link) by Eric (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4316/36250714485_1b1726e015_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Xemo​sH] (external link)Is stacking worth it? (external link) by Eric (external link), on Flickr

Plus some zen action:

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4316/36250683735_a12fa6c667_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Xeme​jx] (external link)Finding Peace (external link) by Eric (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)
SmugMug (external link)
Facebook (external link)

nardes
Joined Jun 2009
Australia
Jul 30, 2017 16:23 |  #3786

Sunrise at Rainbow Beach, with the Pleiades, Venus and Orion dominating the skies.

Cheers

Dennis

HOSTED PHOTO

markesc
Joined Feb 2014
Jul 30, 2017 16:32 |  #3787

HOSTED PHOTO

2cruise
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2009
Virginia.....I'm also known as Whisle
Jul 31, 2017 07:49 |  #3788

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4295/35480891653_0d0deae7ba_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/W4jQ​Xg] (external link)Cabin With a View (external link) by Whisle (external link)

5D Mark IV~70-200mm f4L IS~Zeiss 21mm 2.8~Sigma 24mm f1.4 Art~Zeiss 35mm f2~Zeiss 50mm f2 Makro-Planar~Zeiss Planar 85mm 1.4~Rokinon 14mm 2.8~Lee filters
My Flickr (external link)

TRhoads
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Jul 31, 2017 08:01 |  #3789

I like the color balance you have in this one better Clyde!

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

2cruise
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2009
Virginia.....I'm also known as Whisle
Jul 31, 2017 08:30 |  #3790

TRhoads wrote in post #18415294 (external link)
I like the color balance you have in this one better Clyde!

Thanks Travis!

5D Mark IV~70-200mm f4L IS~Zeiss 21mm 2.8~Sigma 24mm f1.4 Art~Zeiss 35mm f2~Zeiss 50mm f2 Makro-Planar~Zeiss Planar 85mm 1.4~Rokinon 14mm 2.8~Lee filters
My Flickr (external link)

gaabnz
Joined Jul 2013
Aug 01, 2017 03:13 |  #3791

Not a milky way shot, but had a mean halo around the moon over my house tonight.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4314/35470871934_bbe4e43293_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/W3ru​ru] (external link)Halo Moon (external link) by Gary Ashton (external link), on Flickr

Sony A7mkii / Zeiss Batis 18mm f2.8 / 24-105F4L / 70-200f4L / EF50mm f1.8 / Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro / Samyang 24mm f1.4 / Samyang 14mm f2.8 / Sony a6000

davidfarina
Goldmember
Joined May 2013
Aug 01, 2017 05:50 |  #3792

gaabnz wrote in post #18416088 (external link)
Not a milky way shot, but had a mean halo around the moon over my house tonight.

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/W3ru​ru] (external link)Halo Moon (external link) by Gary Ashton (external link), on Flickr

I happened to witness this too 2 years ago. I freaked out and took a few shots and was asking myself what that is lol

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

nero_design
Joined Nov 2012
Sydney, Australia
Aug 01, 2017 06:28 |  #3793

HOSTED PHOTO
[ABOVE image] Taken with the EOS 6D + EF 24mm f/1.4L USM II lens and a 77mm NiSi Natural Night Filter.

We've had some cold but VERY clear skies here in Sydney (Australia) this last week. I took the opportunity to drive to my favorite lookout - which is situated 1,625 feet above sea level... high enough to be above a good portion of the city smog. In fact you can see the haze layer way down below whenever you visit this spot, even at night. I took a picture of the camera I was using while waiting for the sky to darken enough to see the Milky Way. Right now (July), the Galactic Core of the Milky Way is directly overhead at around 8pm and the sun sets at around 5pm. The lilac-tint on the first image is from using a 77mm NiSi Natural Night Filter - which was designed to filter out the yellow hues from Sodium Street Lights at night. Whilst it makes for amazing skies, I did not use this filter for the Milky Way shot from the EOS-M6 camera because I need a step-down filter ring for mounting it to the much smaller lens.

I took the second image (of the core of the Milky Way... see below) with the relatively tiny Canon EOS M6 Mirrorless camera... and whilst I had an array of lenses to chose from, I opted to use the very inexpensive EF-M 22mm f/2.0 STM lens. This lens was selling for just $99 in the United States at one point... but demand and newer EOS-M camera releases have driven the price back to it's RRP of around $199... which is still pretty awesome. I had to tease out some of the finer details during editing, but the results were surprisingly good. I chose a Tungsten WB because I've found that it seems to enhance the nebulous-red areas of the star-forming regions of the Milky Way. No filter used. Color-sampling from the captured image enabled me to enhance the colors slightly. I took the liberty of adding some diffraction spikes to Saturn - which was crossing the Milky Way at the time (see the bright blue "star" near the darkest dustlane). I took both of these images in RAW for a change. This is also the first time I've used RAW since 2004.

DETAILS: Single RAW exposure at 22mm @ f/2.2 @ 20 seconds @ ISO 2000. 2-second built-in self timer used.

HOSTED PHOTO
[ABOVE image] The resulting image taken with the EOS M6 Mirrorless camera + EF-M 22mm f/2.0 STM lens

harryh813
Joined Mar 2017
Tampa, Florida, U.S.
Aug 01, 2017 07:23 |  #3794

nero_design wrote in post #18416147 (external link)
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by nero_design in
./showthread.php?p=184​16147&i=i207151731
forum: Astronomy & Celestial
[ABOVE image] Taken with the EOS 6D + EF 24mm f/1.4L USM II lens and a 77mm NiSi Natural Night Filter.

We've had some cold but VERY clear skies here in Sydney (Australia) this last week. I took the opportunity to drive to my favorite lookout - which is situated 1,625 feet above sea level... high enough to be above a good portion of the city smog. In fact you can see the haze layer way down below whenever you visit this spot, even at night. I took a picture of the camera I was using while waiting for the sky to darken enough to see the Milky Way. Right now (July), the Galactic Core of the Milky Way is directly overhead at around 8pm and the sun sets at around 5pm. The lilac-tint on the first image is from using a 77mm NiSi Natural Night Filter - which was designed to filter out the yellow hues from Sodium Street Lights at night. Whilst it makes for amazing skies, I did not use this filter for the Milky Way shot from the EOS-M6 camera because I need a step-down filter ring for mounting it to the much smaller lens.

I took the second image (of the core of the Milky Way... see below) with the relatively tiny Canon EOS M6 Mirrorless camera... and whilst I had an array of lenses to chose from, I opted to use the very inexpensive EF-M 22mm f/2.0 STM lens. This lens was selling for just $99 in the United States at one point... but demand and newer EOS-M camera releases have driven the price back to it's RRP of around $199... which is still pretty awesome. I had to tease out some of the finer details during editing, but the results were surprisingly good. I chose a Tungsten WB because I've found that it seems to enhance the nebulous-red areas of the star-forming regions of the Milky Way. No filter used. Color-sampling from the captured image enabled me to enhance the colors slightly. I took the liberty of adding some diffraction spikes to Saturn - which was crossing the Milky Way at the time (see the bright blue "star" near the darkest dustlane). I took both of these images in RAW for a change. This is also the first time I've used RAW since 2004.

DETAILS: Single RAW exposure at 22mm @ f/2.2 @ 20 seconds @ ISO 2000. 2-second built-in self timer used.

./showthread.php?p=184​16147&i=i216985012
[ABOVE image] The resulting image taken with the EOS M6 Mirrorless camera + EF-M 22mm f/2.0 STM lens

I really like this one!

Canon EOS 80D | Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS |

TRhoads
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2009
Roswell, Georgia
Aug 01, 2017 07:50 |  #3795

nero_design wrote in post #18416147 (external link)
./showthread.php?p=184​16147&i=i207151731

./showthread.php?p=184​16147&i=i216985012

Really impressive image result from the EOS M.

A couple of questions for you...

1:
Have you had the chance to use the Nisi filter for shooting the MW yet? I have the Lonely Speck Pure night, and am not 100% sold on it. It seems like it just puts a really strong color cast on the image, and then when I edit the image, it ends up with some of the yellow back in it that was originally taken out.

2:
How do you pull those dust lane details out of that image, that is awesome.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

753,571 views & 3885 likes for this thread
Milkyway nightscapes
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.