Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk
Thread started 31 Jul 2017 (Monday) 23:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Looking for Images of previous partial and total solar eclipses from forum members

Mike ­ Photo
Joined Apr 2006
Boston, Ma
Jul 31, 2017 23:27 |  #1

Hi all,

I'm currently working on an article for the website Fstoppers.com on the upcoming Solar Eclipse. I thought I would reach out to POTN members to see if anyone who has photographed a past eclipse would want to have their images featured. I could easily google images and contact those photographers but would much rather give the exposure to photographers in the community.

So if you are interested please post your shots in this thread or direct message me.

Instagram (external link)
MIKE PHOTO
Bodies:Canon 7D mII, Canon 7D(Gripped)
Lenses: Canon 70-200 L, Canon 50 1.4, Canon EF-S 18-55 3.5-5.6 II(reversed element for macro), Sigma Art 18-35 1.8, Tamron 24-70 2.8

sponsored links
TCampbell
Joined Apr 2012
Aug 01, 2017 13:26 |  #2

Here are a couple of shots of the partial eclipse from October 23, 2014. I shot these using my Canon 60Da (astrophotography version of the 60D), a Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens, and Thousand Oaks Optical solar filter. The images you see here are cropped.

Thousand Oaks Optical solar filters render the sun looking orange. Although the Canon 60Da is more sensitive to reds (it's designed to be much more sensitive to Hydrogen alpha wavelengths because hydrogen is the most abundant atom in the universe, so most emission nebulae are rich with it (having a camera more sensitive to this part of the visible spectrum helps capture those details.)

BTW, the sunspot group seen in the first image (taken early in the eclipse) happened to be the largest sunspot group of this solar cycle. It was large enough that it could be seen without any magnification (just your eyes and a solar filter).

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

This second image was taken much later -- near sunset. Clouds were starting to block the sun, but this created a visually appealing effect.

HOSTED PHOTO

This upcoming eclipse will be my first time photographing a total eclipse.

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Post has been edited 4 months ago by Nighthound.
Aug 03, 2017 13:38 |  #3

Just after sunrise from South Carolina in 2013.

Steve
Canon Gear: 1D Mark IV | 1D Mark II | 5D | 20D | 500L IS (f/4) | 100-400L
My Astro Gallery http://s3.photobucket.​com ...7/Nighthd/POTN%20Ga​llery/external link

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,336 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Aug 03, 2017 14:15 |  #4

I've got one. I'm headed to St. Joe for this next one. It looks to be right in the path of totality.

IMAGE: https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3945/15426693547_d842b11372_b.jpg

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Capn ­ Jack
Joined Mar 2010
NE USA
Post has been edited 4 months ago by Capn Jack.
Aug 04, 2017 16:36 |  #5

This one reminds me a little of a Turkish flag from 20 May, 2012, Lincoln, NE, USA
With 1.5x teleconvertor.

HOSTED PHOTO

USA members- don't let the airlines buy the air traffic control system: http://www.atcnotforsa​le.com/ (external link)

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,409 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Aug 04, 2017 16:53 |  #6

Congratulations to Steve (Nighthound) . Your image was used for the article .

https://fstoppers.com ...s-sky-watcher-star-190082 (external link)

Mike ­ Photo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2006
Boston, Ma
Aug 05, 2017 06:30 |  #7

Thanks everyone who posted. Special thanks to Nighthound for responding and getting back to me in the small time-frame had to publish. Everyones images are great and I'm sorry I didnt have enough time to contact everyone.

Instagram (external link)
MIKE PHOTO
Bodies:Canon 7D mII, Canon 7D(Gripped)
Lenses: Canon 70-200 L, Canon 50 1.4, Canon EF-S 18-55 3.5-5.6 II(reversed element for macro), Sigma Art 18-35 1.8, Tamron 24-70 2.8

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Aug 05, 2017 13:14 |  #8

Celestron wrote in post #18419422 (external link)
Congratulations to Steve (Nighthound) . Your image was used for the article .

https://fstoppers.com ...s-sky-watcher-star-190082 (external link)

Thanks Ron.

Steve
My Astro Gallery http://s3.photobucket.​com ...7/Nighthd/POTN%20Ga​llery/external link

Nighthound
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Aug 05, 2017 13:16 |  #9

Mike Photo wrote in post #18419705 (external link)
Thanks everyone who posted. Special thanks to Nighthound for responding and getting back to me in the small time-frame had to publish. Everyones images are great and I'm sorry I didnt have enough time to contact everyone.

Thanks Mike for selecting my photo. The article looks great and is very well written. Great work!

Steve

sponsored links

1,070 views & 9 likes for this thread
Looking for Images of previous partial and total solar eclipses from forum members
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.