Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras
Thread started 05 Jul 2017 (Wednesday) 20:19
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

not falling in love with the x100T

lobby
119 posts
Joined Jun 2013
Chicago
Jul 05, 2017 20:19 |  #1

after shooting for years with a dslr (currently 6d typically with a 28-70L), i bought a x100 for a second camera. I just cant seem to fall in love with this camera. I guess I like how its discreet and makes people a little less camera shy than pointing a dslr in their face, but aside from that it's not doing it for me. The DSLR is faster, better IQ, easier to change settings on the fly. Do I need to give it more time? Why am I missing what everyone is swooning over? Its a beautiful camera, and the color profiles are really great, but as someone who doesn't mind carrying a dslr even for a casual outing, is it really more than just a sexy toy?

6D + 28-70mm f/2.8 L + Sigma 400mm f/5.6 HSM + 550EX

sponsored links
gremlin75
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Detroit, MI
Jul 05, 2017 21:48 |  #2

lobby wrote in post #18394974 (external link)
Do I need to give it more time? Why am I missing what everyone is swooning over?

Maybe, but I don't know how long you've been using it. If it's just a few days then I'd say sure give it more time. If you've been shooting with a ton and don't like it then maybe its just not for you.

One of the big draws of the x100 series is its size. If you have no issue with taking a dslr with you every where I'd question why you'd want an x100 to begin with. If you gave it a shot and don't like it then it's not for. Not everyone has the same likes, but at least you gave it a try and now you know. Sell it and use the money on something you will enjoy.

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Post has been edited 4 months ago by Osa713.
Jul 12, 2017 17:57 |  #3

Seems like you have Made your mind up lol.

Try not to shoot it like a dslr, it has pros and cons but over all it's a fantastic tool given the job. Also ergonomics play a large part depending on how and what like to shoot.

Do not reply to spam, report it!

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Jul 13, 2017 00:52 |  #4

I fell in love with mine, even though I thought for sure I wouldn't after scoffing at people for theirs while I used my X-E2 with 27mm :lol:

I love it so much I'm very seriously considering replacing it with the X100F... mainly for the battery compatibility with my X-Pro2/X-T1 and the right hand controls.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

TMaG82
958 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Jul 14, 2017 19:03 |  #5

It's definitely not for everyone. I had the S, the T, and now I have an F in order. The reason I think the F will do it for me is simply the added controls. I come from a DSLR background and two things about the F set it aside from the others, the AF joystick and the front command dial. I'm so used to using dual dials with my cameras with the front being for aperture and the rear for shutter speed. With the X100 I can now set the shutter to T and use the rear command dial and the front I can set ISO to A and use the front dial to set ISO and use the aperture ring to set aperture. Also after using cameras with a AF joystick and without, I can't go back to one without. The a9 has one and makes it so much better to use than other Sony's. The X-Pro 2 and X-T2 has them and make it them so much better than the previous models. It not only makes changing focus points much easier and faster but also frees up the directional pad for other functions. As someone who comes from using DSLR the lack of these two features might make using the X100 seem foreign to you as it did for me:

Current Gear: Nadda

mark2009
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Northeast , USA
Aug 01, 2017 16:32 |  #6

I actually love my x100t, but after about a year of hardly using it, I'm thinking about selling it. I've had x100>x100s> and current x100t. I think the jpegs are beautiful, but it's just a odd size. It's just a hair to big to really put in a jacket, so I find it sits home and I use my x-t1 for the serious stuff, and a Sony rx100 iii for pocket carry.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Aug 01, 2017 16:56 |  #7

Reminds me of my Sony RX100, one of the most lauded cameras when it came out.

I bought one and bought the book by Friedman to help me learn to use it. I loved the camera's size, its beauty and hi-tech, the cool thing about having a famous camera, and so on, but now, a few years later, I realize I don't like it very much. I never really learned to use it right - maybe because it was to complicated. The different modes don't work like they do on my Canons, and focusing fights me. I often just can't get it to focus where I want. There are other things too, like having to turn the flash on and off, unexpectedly getting many overexposed shots, etc.

I still have it, and still use it when called for. I use it as a point-and-shoot, which does not do an advanced camera like that justice. But it is too complicated for me, and too different from my Canons for me to use properly.

Not trying to steal your thread, but wondering if you are having similar issues with your Fuji.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

sponsored links

1,092 views & 1 like for this thread
not falling in love with the x100T
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.