Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk
Thread started 24 Jun 2017 (Saturday) 09:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Green heron: how do I get close?

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Jun 29, 2017 00:03 |  #16

saea501 wrote in post #18388911 (external link)
I've never found any of the Herons or Egrets to be difficult to get close to. Maybe its your location. Down here I can pretty much walk to within 20 feet or so of most any of them. Heck I had a Great Blue come to me....landed right next to me.

Location definitely has a lot to do with it.

Here in the area where I live, there are a lot of Great Blue Herons. . But they rarely ever have any encounters with humans because the human population is so sparse. . So when I see a GBH, I literally cannot approach to within a hundred and twenty five yards without the heron getting scared and flying off. . They are absolutely terrified of any human, and will not allow one to get anywhere near them.

Hence, the only way I can get close enough to photograph them is to shoot them at their rookery, where they are pretty much anchored to their nests and their young, and have no choice but to tolerate me..........albeit uncooperatively and grudgingly.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

sponsored links
MatthewK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Jun 29, 2017 04:45 as a reply to Tom Reichner's post |  #17

There was a GBH at the place I lived a few years back that I could photograph with my 70-200. Guy had no fear whatsoever.

flickrexternal link

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,545 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Jun 29, 2017 09:39 |  #18

They are predators, (GBH etc.) ie: have a very high capacity for learning,. and they acclimatize themselves to their environment.

The GBH's that frequent our large city park, specifically the "regulars", are relatively very tolerant of humans. Some will not let you get too close, some will, but as compared to the ones I used to see as a boy out in the boondocks of Georgian Bay, those ones could spend days/weeks without seeing people, and thus usually the only sight I ever got was them taking flight to buzz off before I even knew there was one nearby.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Orogeny
Joined Aug 2003
Houston, Texas
Jul 05, 2017 07:16 |  #19

Down here on the upper Texas Gulf Coast, herons and egrets generally are not hard to get close to. Generally. Of all herons, Great Blues are usually the most skiddish.

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/412/20197461548_5daff6aaaf_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/wLMg​DE] (external link)Green Heron with a Spider (external link) by Tim Herbert (external link), on Flickr

Tim

There's someone in my head, and it's not me! - Roger Waters

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/orogeny/ (external link)

Bsmooth
853 posts
Joined Feb 2005
New England
Jul 05, 2017 13:53 |  #20

Its probably a good thing some of them are skittish around humans. We have them here at the local Audubon. We also have raised walking platforms above the water and once in awhile a Great blue will actually go under the boardwalks. the other day a family came by and walked above it, normally the bird would just wait and have them walk past, but one of the kids started to poke at the bird with something and spooked it. Could have injured it as well If it didn't get out while it did. It could be the same one I saw a few weeks ago in and around the same spot, its probably a juvenile as well.
Sometime humans aren't what I would call too smart by any means.

Bruce

Sibil
Goldmember
4,775 posts
Joined Jan 2009
SoCal
Jul 05, 2017 14:35 |  #21

Bsmooth wrote in post #18394771 (external link)
....but one of the kids started to poke at the bird with something ....

My blood would be boiling if I saw that. vmad

Lots of gear, with lagging skills

MatthewK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Post has been edited 1 month ago by MatthewK.
Aug 01, 2017 19:48 |  #22

Well, I was in Florida (Everglades) this past weekend, and I'll give you one guess as to which was the first bird that presented itself. Taken within 30 feet of me, didn't even care that I was there...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Compared to the super-shy pair around my house, who I cannot get within 50 yards of before they fly off and hide. This was from today... 1000mm, go figure vmad

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

flickrexternal link

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
Joined Dec 2008
Omak, in north-central Washington state, USA
Sep 19, 2017 09:59 |  #23

MatthewK wrote in post #18416810 (external link)
Well, I was in Florida (Everglades) this past weekend, and I'll give you one guess as to which was the first bird that presented itself. Taken within 30 feet of me, didn't even care that I was there...

Compared to the super-shy pair around my house, who I cannot get within 50 yards of before they fly off and hide. This was from today... 1000mm, go figure vmad

That's awesome, Matthew!

It just goes to show that sometimes the best way to get close enough for great photos is to look for different opportunities in different places. I think this goes not only for Herons, bit for many other species, as well.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "peace of mind", NOT "piece of mind".

sponsored links

3,212 views & 46 likes for this thread
Green heron: how do I get close?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.