Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk
Thread started 27 Jun 2017 (Tuesday) 00:29
Prev/next

How to find models for glamour, boudoir/nude photo shoot ?

gacon1
632 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Jun 27, 2017 00:29 |  #1

Hi all,
Would you mind share tips how to find models for glamour, boudoir/nude photo shoot?
I live in California, San Francisco Bay Area.
I did go to model mayhem and search for models there, but it didn't work out.
Some never show up, another show up but look like she is "in a hurry", wants the shooting end as fast as possible, get the money and leave !
The professional models look like they don't care of newbie photographers.

How about we create a club (ex: boudoir photography) where members in that area can meet like once a month, hire models (share the cost) or bring friends to the photo shoot and shoot together ?

Thank you all.

charlemagne
Joined Feb 2011
Ronse - Belgium
Jun 27, 2017 01:33 |  #2

as we started this discussion as a private conversation, gacon1 and me, I'll respond first:

to be totally honest, I thought that it would be easier in California. I work with both payed models as volunteering models (both get digital images in limited resolution). Payed models are mostly taking their jobs very seriously, I only once had a model that was 'in a hurry', not my best cooperation, indeed. On the other hand the payed models are available 'for money', so not too hard to find them. (in Europe we have Facebook groups reuniting models, photographers, make up artists. Young people are getting more and more prude, or prudish, in my opinion, so indeed it is hard to find young women willing to pose nude, and to have their images published on the net. Most volunteering models i work with like my style, and are willing to cooperate because of this. I still have them 'filter' my images after the shoot, although I work with a contract, they still get to see the images before publishing. I also allow them to choose a nickname, and I will never link to their profiles on FB. In this way I try to protect them from improper public/private reactions.

ludwig
ludwig desmet - beauty and fine art photography (external link)

tdlavigne
303 posts
Joined Mar 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Jun 27, 2017 17:18 |  #3

Assuming you're new and building your portfolio, then money is the easy answer. You just have to stand your ground and stick to your guns if you're paying. Understand that YOU ARE THE BOSS. If the model shows up and wants to leave early, then let her leave. And then refuse to pay her, or prorate the payment for the time she actually was there. If she (or he) shows up and is lollygagging around and half-assing it, then send them home as soon as it's clear you're wasting your time. For glamour especially, the professional models don't care if you just bought your camera that day. You just have to use your spidey-sense and make judgement calls based on portfolio, word of mouth, and pre-shoot communication as to whether or not the model would be a good fit.

Hiring friends to share the cost is usually pointless IMHO. You'll get half a dozen guys to all shoot one model, they'll all shoot at once, the model won't know where to look, or will be rushed and there'll be no creative collaboration so far as where to pose, how, etc. There's a reason why these types of shoots are usually referred to as "gangbangs". It's generally not pleasant for anyone involved. One complaint I would hear a lot from photographers who did such things was that at the end of the day, everyone got the same shots, that is: model is on a nice chaise lounge, maybe with a decent lighting setup that someone went through the trouble of arranging....and then every photographer there took turns shooting over one anothers shoulders in a frenzy, and now that cool shot you think you got is very similar to 40-50 others that are now being posted online.

My advice is to try facebook groups, then instagram, and then modelmayhem again. Be upfront with what you are expecting in terms of theme/style, limits of nudity, usage of images, expectations for release forms, time/scheduling, etc. The more info you provide, the less surprises there are, and it'll probably weed out all the girls looking for an easy payday from a newbie.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Jun 28, 2017 11:54 |  #4

Your options:
1) Work hard to build your skill set, portfolio, and reputation doing non-boudoir, non-nude shoots. Continue until skilled models are eager to work with you for TFP shoots. I'm getting there, though I haven't done any casting calls for nude models so I don't know if I'm there yet.

2) Offer payment for skilled models, with the advance explanation that you don't have the portfolio or skill set yet. Make sure the model knows in advance that it will be a learning experience for you and a paid gig for her.

3) Work with subpar models and flakes.

tdlavigne wrote in post #18388408 (external link)
Hiring friends to share the cost is usually pointless IMHO. You'll get half a dozen guys to all shoot one model, they'll all shoot at once, the model won't know where to look, or will be rushed and there'll be no creative collaboration so far as where to pose, how, etc. There's a reason why these types of shoots are usually referred to as "gangbangs". It's generally not pleasant for anyone involved. One complaint I would hear a lot from photographers who did such things was that at the end of the day, everyone got the same shots, that is: model is on a nice chaise lounge, maybe with a decent lighting setup that someone went through the trouble of arranging....and then every photographer there took turns shooting over one anothers shoulders in a frenzy, and now that cool shot you think you got is very similar to 40-50 others that are now being posted online.

Agreed. I hate those kinds of shoots, where several photographers are all clamoring for the attention of one model. Maybe two photographers splitting the cost might work, and taking turns shooting/assisting; any more than that and the results start to suffer considerably.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

knak
Joined Mar 2011
South Suburbs of Chicago
Jun 28, 2017 13:22 |  #5

I found it helpful to pay the first few models... it allowed me to get used to to differences in shooting style with out worrying about posing them as much.

After that, I worked with lots of young and "up-comming" models (wanna be models), doing head shots, dresses, etc.. then a few started showing up in lingerie and such on there own.

Now, when they see my portfolio, they kind of know what to expect.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EOS M, EOS 5DS R | Fujifilm X-T1 | Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.2L USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 300mm f/4L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 11-24mm F4L USM | Fujifilm Fujinon XF 35mm f/1.4 R, Fujinon 16-55mm f/2.8, Fujinon 50-140mm f/2.8, Fujinon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR, Fujinon XF 56mm f/1.2 R, Fujinon XF 60mm f/2.4 R Macro, XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR | Lensbaby Composer Pro | Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX, Speedlite 580EX II

phantelope
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2008
NorCal
Jun 28, 2017 14:33 |  #6

I attended over 20 group shoots organized through meetup.com, most were great, all in the Bay Area. I also hired models directly via MM and rented a local studio for just a one on one. But the group shots are also great for learning if well organized.
Unfortunately meetup eventually decided to not allow nudity on their site and many of those groups shut down, this might have changed by now, I haven't looked in a while.

There's one photographer in the South Bay that always sets up really good shoots, great studio, great lights, lots of experimenting. Glam, nude, fashion, and other things. I think he now only has a group on google. PM me if interested and I'll see if I can find it. Don't want to post it here w/o asking him.

I haven't done this in a while, as I have hundreds if not thousands of shots to edit (and then do what with?), but have been thinking about joining one or the other group shoot again.

If you hire a model directly, make sure to have a plan and explain it to the model(s) so they can bring wardrobe and accessories, make sure everything is set up to go, provide water and some snack stuff. MM is a good place to start, read reviews etc, communicate ideas, respect set limits explained by each model.

But especially if just starting out organized shoots are great. Take some behind the scenes photos of light setup etc too.

Good luck!

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

Moose408
Joined Jan 2006
San Jose, CA
Jul 02, 2017 16:28 |  #7

I'm in the South Bay (San Jose). My best experience has always been travelling models that come to the Bay Area. They are willing to work with all skill levels and are all professional and will help you to get the best shots. I've been slowly developing a list of local models to work with and can send those on via PM if you wish.

As mentioned above it helps to have a plan on what you want to shoot, but it is not entirely necessary. I like to show some samples of other peoples work as a starting point. They can then expand from that.

Also as mentioned above Rafa's Meetup in Sunnyvale is outstanding. He hires all of the travelling models coming through and really does nice lighting setups and shoots.

Canon 5DmkII | 24-105mm f/4.0L IS | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 17-40mm f/4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | 50mm f/1.8
Photography Blogexternal link | 500pxexternal link | Model Mayhemexternal link

Gungnir
Joined Sep 2005
Suffolk, England
Jul 08, 2017 14:28 |  #8

University/college student forums often have areas you can offer work to potential models.

Steve
'Be the person your dog thinks you are'

icor1031
Joined Jan 2015
Post has been edited 3 months ago by icor1031.
Aug 01, 2017 22:14 |  #9

delete

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
T3i || Elan 7n || Cotton Carrier || Streaklight 360 || i1display Pro || Colormunki Photo

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
12,995 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2010
In The Sticks
Nov 14, 2017 22:44 |  #10

I don't know when they made the change but Model Mayhem doesn't let Free users communicate with anyone anymore. It's fairly cheap but if you're paying a model $100 - $300 for a shoot... there's got to be a cheaper place to find models for hire.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

1,712 views & 6 likes for this thread
How to find models for glamour, boudoir/nude photo shoot ?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.