Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing
Thread started 31 Jul 2017 (Monday) 09:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Putting a Stop to Adobe Prelude Creating XMP Files on Everything

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,529 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Jul 31, 2017 09:43 |  #1

My Adobe Prelude CC (which I've just started using) automatically creates XMP files on every image file I download from memory cards (still RAW images as well as .MOV video files). It just spawns them into whatever folder I initially download the original files to.

I can't locate a selection or switch in Prelude to turn that function off, and a Google search has been fruitless.

Can anyone help?

davesrose
Goldmember
2,869 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by davesrose.
Aug 01, 2017 00:35 |  #2

Why are you using Prelude? If you look at Adobe's description of it, they say it's mainly for tagging files to prepare for Premiere. It seems like it's always going to create external files to store data on photos that can't be written as metadata. Bridge might be what you need, if you're looking more for file management.

Adobe Prelude product page (external link)

Adobe Bridge Tutorial (external link)

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Aug 01, 2017 17:58 |  #3

Even Bridge will create an XMP for every RAW file that you view, since ACR needs one to be able to render the default conversion. Bridge only uses the built in preview in the time between opening the folder, and rendering it's own preview. I had a quick look at Prelude, i had downloaded it but not tried it yet, and considering what the program seems to be for, its pretty much going to have to create something to store the necessary information about each file. It could do it in a project file, but that would then limit the usefulness of the data. By creating individual XMP files the Prelude metadata is instantly available to all of the applications in the CC Suite.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

davesrose
Goldmember
2,869 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by davesrose.
Aug 01, 2017 21:54 |  #4

When I've used Bridge, I didn't find it writing XMP files for every RAW file. It is like ACR in that a XMP file is not written if all you're doing is previewing. I also have the Canon plugin for being able to preview RAWs in Windows file manager. If you make adjustments, then the software has to save those adjustments in an XMP file. Seems like Prelude is more for generating a project folder with files that you'll use for a project: not offloading all files from a memory card.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

RDKirk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,529 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Aug 02, 2017 09:16 |  #5

Yeah, I wanted to see what Prelude could do for me, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'm thinking that with my quite simple video productions (I ain't editing "Avatar"), I may not need it at all.

1,625 views & 0 likes for this thread
Putting a Stop to Adobe Prelude Creating XMP Files on Everything
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.