Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 27 Jul 2017 (Thursday) 15:33
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Sell 5D Mark IV for Fuji

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Aug 01, 2017 18:51 |  #16

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18416471 (external link)
I don't see Fuji clipping highlights if I expose the shot properly, unless you are talking about JPEG's, then you have to make a choice in what you expose for. In fact the Fuji X-T2 has more dynamic range than the 5D3 [not hard that] so you have an easier time recovering information from your raw files. Also your blue colour will depend on what film simulation you choose to shoot your JPEG's with. If you are shooting raw it doesn't matter as only Adobe standard will be shown initially with you bring the files into Lightroom or ACR so your colour will be as accurate as it normally is.

Yep meaner, heaver, bigger but not the be all and end all... If you are looking for a small system that can handle just about everything you throw at it - Bingo! Fuji wins there.

Really depends on how invested one is. Moving completely from one system to another can be a little costly, but you can get a couple of lenses and a top Fuji body for the same price as one 5DIV. I sold all my Canon gear after a year of shooting Fuji, that covered the cost of me moving as well as freeing up some funds to boost up some lighting, modifiers and grip.

The T2 with the booster grip on boost mode gives very snappy AF and 14fps if you want it. Plenty of examples of it in the field working out great. All depends on how and what you shoot. I find Fuji to fit me and my stuff well. Weddings and events included, YMMV.

Kim,

I always shoot standard/Provia with my Fuji bodies and change it later in RAW editing. The Blues always seem to be hard to achieve realistic tones when I shoot outdoor panoramic shots. Using the "in camera" panoramic photos the style is embedded so I cannot change in LR. This is why I'm just starting to stitch my fuji files using RAW.

I love the Canon 16-35 f/2.8mk2 (I need the mk3) and Fuji needs a faster UWA other than their current 10-24 f/4 with "ok" looking starbursts. Not sure if the OP does creative shots with sunflares or flash burst but Fuji doesn't provide me what I want in the lenses I own (i need more). Personal preference is such a bummer!!! If the OP is use to the newer generation Canon mk2 prime lens quality from a 24-70L f/2.8mk2 or 70-200 f/2.8mk2 the fuji provides more of the older generation micro contrast of their current zoom/prime lenses. This is something he'll figure out by actually testing fuji gear.

The OP is spoiled using the 1dxmk2. I know If I owned such a camera or even the 5dmk4 I would really expect a fuji to be on par if I was to replace it for an "emergency" backup camera.

I'm eager to hear what the OP experiences with his taste of Fuji for professional application especially if his Sony AF failed him.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

sponsored links
Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,494 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Aug 02, 2017 09:24 |  #17

how is the flash situation for Fuji?

Last I recall, godox was making something for Fuji, and I wouldnt be confident in the switch without proper lighting for your intended purposes.

the XT2 certainly seems fast enough for intended applications (just dont adapt and hoping the same!). I've seen the comparisons to sony's A7rii and is certainly faster in all scenarios.

the elephant in the room is your flash situation, nikon/canon/sony has that sorted, but I've always read that Fuji was rather lacking.

Alan, you're too demanding, you sold off you're 16-35f4, which is one darn fine lens!

Sony A7r - A7ii - A7rii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CY 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Two Hot Shoes. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 02, 2017 10:24 as a reply to Charlie's post |  #18

Yes, Godox are making solid flash units lately, I've been shooting with their AD600 for just over a year, it is very consistent in it's colour and power. Battery lasts all day to.

Last month they launched three on camera flashes, TT350, TT685 and V860 in Fuji mounts as well as a Fuji trigger, confusingly named X1Tf. Now you have full control of the flashes with HSS or in TTL or remotely. Profoto and Elinchrom have also said they are brining Fuji support this year.

With the Godox system you can trigger any godox 2.4Ghz flash from the Fuji trigger. So if you had any Canon or Nikon specific Godox flashes they will work in HSS and TTL remotely [assuming that those features were available on the flash].

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Aug 02, 2017 12:02 |  #19

Charlie wrote in post #18417266 (external link)
how is the flash situation for Fuji?

Last I recall, godox was making something for Fuji, and I wouldnt be confident in the switch without proper lighting for your intended purposes.

the XT2 certainly seems fast enough for intended applications (just dont adapt and hoping the same!). I've seen the comparisons to sony's A7rii and is certainly faster in all scenarios.

the elephant in the room is your flash situation, nikon/canon/sony has that sorted, but I've always read that Fuji was rather lacking.

Alan, you're too demanding, you sold off you're 16-35f4, which is one darn fine lens!

Charlie I was about to buy a Tamron 15-30 UWA for my Canon gear but I've read issues with the 5dmk4 (which I do not own just yet). I am reconsidering buying the 16-35 f/4IS again or just pony up for the 16-35 f/2.8 mk3. The f/4IS version is truly an amazing lens on a full frame which is a substantial step up from a Fuji 10-24mm on my X-T2 no doubt in my mind.

I was using the cactus v6mk2 and hss ttl passthrough worked with my x-t10 (EF-x500 on shoe). For some reason it does not do HSS with the External flash on shoe due to a minor difference in pin spacing layout on the x-t2 camera body's hotshoe (TTL pass through communication does NOT WORK!!!). I tried and stopped investigating. I'll look into it again eventually but I've just preferred the infra red focus assist on my Canon flash units for substantially more reliable AF in dim light. I have a serious problem with any type of AF hesitation in low light when I use flash for fill/bounced flash techniques. The Fuji will be a rude awakening for a person that is not good at manual focus when this happens. I've missed a lot of money shot moments with fuji hesitation in AF when low contrast/low light situations. I've been told many times to buy different Fuji lenses like the 16-55 but that range in zoom is not my go to lens. I love using UWA with the long end of 35mm (FOV) which works better for my "perspective" composition I do for my style of work. For events the Canon 16-35 f/4iS is blazing fast compared to my Fuji 10-24mm. Also the 16-35f/4IS never ever hesitates in AF like the Fuji 10-24mm.

I've had countless conversations with local Fuji shooters that also shoot Nikon/Canon as primary bodies. They echo identical issues in AF hesitation. I prayed the Fuji flagship EF-X500 flash would be magical in aiding in AF acquisition but sadly there is no help but emitting a piercing white LED focus assist light.

The OP shooting a 1dxmk2 and 5d4 will notice an immediate difference in how the shutter button actuates using a Fuji X-T2 with fuji flash. Slower Micro seconds of AF acquisition can even miss photos for my shooting style.

Fuji zone shooting works but if your using constant AF with a single AF point there is room to improve on the Fuji body. I'm finding my 80d and 5d3 with selected AF point using constant AF to work substantially better than my X-t2. A fuji shooter using zone type constant AF should be happy.

There are strengths and weaknesses in any camera system. AF has improved a lot in the Fuji line but it certainly has room to improve. I'm just being vocal about how Fuji performance isn't perfectly meeting my needs for hired events. However for casual nature it's excellent!!

We all shoot in a unique manner so personal preference is part of the equation in gear selection. In my case for hired events I'd like to have a 5dmk4 to tackle virtually everything but lug heavier gear. I cannot compromise AF performance when I shoot hired events as I'm not a manual focus shooter. I'm waiting to see what an fuji X-T3 will provide us :)

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
9,769 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Post has been edited 2 months ago by EverydayGetaway.
Aug 02, 2017 12:36 |  #20

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18417307 (external link)
Yes, Godox are making solid flash units lately, I've been shooting with their AD600 for just over a year, it is very consistent in it's colour and power. Battery lasts all day to.

Last month they launched three on camera flashes, TT350, TT685 and V860 in Fuji mounts as well as a Fuji trigger, confusingly named X1Tf. Now you have full control of the flashes with HSS or in TTL or remotely. Profoto and Elinchrom have also said they are brining Fuji support this year.

With the Godox system you can trigger any godox 2.4Ghz flash from the Fuji trigger. So if you had any Canon or Nikon specific Godox flashes they will work in HSS and TTL remotely [assuming that those features were available on the flash].

I think I'm going to pick up one of those X1Tf controllers really soon, I'm very happy with the TT350f so far. I might add in a TT685f as well just for the few occasions where I need the extra power.

AlanU wrote in post #18417374 (external link)
I prayed the Fuji flagship EF-X500 flash would be magical in aiding in AF acquisition but sadly there is no help but emitting a piercing white LED focus assist light.

You can keep praying all you want, this isn't a flaw with Fuji, it's a flaw with any MILC system. The focusing systems in MILC systems don't work with IR lights. The flip side to that coin is that MILC's actually acquire focus better in low light than the majority of DSLR's do when used without the assistance of an IR light, they're also far easier to compose with since the EVF illuminates your subject for you.

There's a give and take as with most things in life.

For me the pros vastly outweigh the cons with MILC systems, and those cons shrink every year. I personally haven't had many issues with focus acquisition with my X-Pro2 or even my X-T1/X100T even when using old lenses like the XF 35/1.4 and XF 18/2.

I shot a wedding with my X100T, X-T1 and X-Pro2 and I think I only had about 20-30 missed focus shots between all the cameras out of well over a thousand and maybe a handful of failed to focus shots... to me that's a pretty killer hit rate, certainly no worse than I fared with my 6D.

As you pointed out though, everyone's shooting style's/needs are different and the best way to know would be to use the gear for yourself.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Aug 02, 2017 13:21 |  #21

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18417417 (external link)
I think I'm going to pick up one of those X1Tf controllers really soon, I'm very happy with the TT350f so far. I might add in a TT685f as well just for the few occasions where I need the extra power.

You can keep praying all you want, this isn't a flaw with Fuji, it's a flaw with any MILC system. The focusing systems in MILC systems don't work with IR lights. The flip side to that coin is that MILC's actually acquire focus better in low light than the majority of DSLR's do when used without the assistance of an IR light, they're also far easier to compose with since the EVF illuminates your subject for you.

There's a give and take as with most things in life.

For me the pros vastly outweigh the cons with MILC systems, and those cons shrink every year. I personally haven't had many issues with focus acquisition with my X-Pro2 or even my X-T1/X100T even when using old lenses like the XF 35/1.4 and XF 18/2.

I shot a wedding with my X100T, X-T1 and X-Pro2 and I think I only had about 20-30 missed focus shots between all the cameras out of well over a thousand and maybe a handful of failed to focus shots... to me that's a pretty killer hit rate, certainly no worse than I fared with my 6D.

As you pointed out though, everyone's shooting style's/needs are different and the best way to know would be to use the gear for yourself.

I will say that out of 1000-2000+ photos having 20-30 missed shots plus an additional fail to focus shots is a big disappointment to me. When I got into Fuji this was one of the things that struck me immediately. I had more partially closed eyes/closed eyes photos than I ever did with my Canon gear. My work around was to sometimes take an extra photo to assure open eyes during an event with fuji.

I know everyone is different but I seldom ever get "fail to focus" shots with even my 5dmk2. Even in very low light I always use bouncing flash techniques at receptions almost never missing a shot. I use flash when needed and even outdoors I'll use flash for fill on many occasions. My only sluggish Canon lens I own is the 85Lmk2. Even my slow 100L IS can keep up AF with my current and previous fuji lenses. The Fuji 55-200 I own works well but it does have this sluggish feel when shooting while someone buying a Canon 55-250 kit lens would be faster in acquiring focus. The $$$ 55-140 bokeh is good but there has been discussion of nervousness rendition compared to many similar zoom offerings in different camera systems. We all pick and choose our gear for many reasons.

I'm definitely waiting to hear what the OP does when he tests fuji out. Weight factor for paid events isn't a factor here. I couldn't ever imagine downgrading higher AF hit rate and gear/lens/flash compatibility with spare body during weddings if you've been so use to a 1dxmk2 or 5dmk4. If he does decide to buy into fuji I would say it's absolutely critical to buy a booster battery bolted onto the body of an X-T2 for events photography. This is something he's probably NEVER even had to think of with the large capacity battery in the 1dxmk2 and even the 5dmk4 with LP-E6N.

So far I've yet to meet a local pro photographer using Fuji for wedding work. I have many relationships with many local camera shops and it still seems in my area everyone still uses Nikon or Canon. However there is a growing number of Sony wedding shooters but still not many. This is just what I've discovered anyways.........

What's important is what works for the photographer. My experiences and preference stands true to me and others may use any gear they like. At least the OP can get an earful from folks here on the POTN.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
9,769 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Aug 02, 2017 14:06 |  #22

AlanU wrote in post #18417487 (external link)
I will say that out of 1000-2000+ photos having 20-30 missed shots plus an additional fail to focus shots is a big disappointment to me. When I got into Fuji this was one of the things that struck me immediately. I had more partially closed eyes/closed eyes photos than I ever did with my Canon gear. My work around was to sometimes take an extra photo to assure open eyes during an event with fuji.

I know everyone is different but I seldom ever get "fail to focus" shots with even my 5dmk2. Even in very low light I always use bouncing flash techniques at receptions almost never missing a shot. I use flash when needed and even outdoors I'll use flash for fill on many occasions. My only sluggish Canon lens I own is the 85Lmk2. Even my slow 100L IS can keep up AF with my current and previous fuji lenses. The Fuji 55-200 I own works well but it does have this sluggish feel when shooting while someone buying a Canon 55-250 kit lens would be faster in acquiring focus. The $$$ 55-140 bokeh is good but there has been discussion of nervousness rendition compared to many similar zoom offerings in different camera systems. We all pick and choose our gear for many reasons.

I'm definitely waiting to hear what the OP does when he tests fuji out. Weight factor for paid events isn't a factor here. I couldn't ever imagine downgrading higher AF hit rate and gear/lens/flash compatibility with spare body during weddings if you've been so use to a 1dxmk2 or 5dmk4. If he does decide to buy into fuji I would say it's absolutely critical to buy a booster battery bolted onto the body of an X-T2 for events photography. This is something he's probably NEVER even had to think of with the large capacity battery in the 1dxmk2 and even the 5dmk4 with LP-E6N.

So far I've yet to meet a local pro photographer using Fuji for wedding work. I have many relationships with many local camera shops and it still seems in my area everyone still uses Nikon or Canon. However there is a growing number of Sony wedding shooters but still not many. This is just what I've discovered anyways.........

What's important is what works for the photographer. My experiences and preference stands true to me and others may use any gear they like. At least the OP can get an earful from folks here on the POTN.

Sorry, but I find it extremely hard to believe that you don't end up with at least 20-30 missed shots per 1000+ images with just about any camera.

You may get less failed to focus shots with Canon, but you may instead get the camera saying it's confirmed focus when in fact it hasn't (a problem I had with my 6D). The absolute only scenario where a 5Dii's focus system would beat a modern fuji would be with center point in a near pitch black room with an IR assist lamp. Now, if it were the 5Diii or 5Div, then yes, I'd agree that in most scenarios those cameras are likely the better choice for strict AF needs.

The 1DXii essentially has a booster grip built into it... so I guess I fail to see your point there?

Why does it matter at all what your local photographers are using? How is that even relevant to the topic? I know of several shooters here on the forums alone who shoot exclusively with Fuji, Sony and even M4/3 for weddings. Just because it isn't the standard doesn't mean it isn't perfectly workable. I know local photographers who still shoot weddings entirely on film.

Your last paragraph I agree with.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Aug 02, 2017 15:22 |  #23

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18417526 (external link)
Sorry, but I find it extremely hard to believe that you don't end up with at least 20-30 missed shots per 1000+ images with just about any camera.

You may get less failed to focus shots with Canon, but you may instead get the camera saying it's confirmed focus when in fact it hasn't (a problem I had with my 6D). The absolute only scenario where a 5Dii's focus system would beat a modern fuji would be with center point in a near pitch black room with an IR assist lamp. Now, if it were the 5Diii or 5Div, then yes, I'd agree that in most scenarios those cameras are likely the better choice for strict AF needs.

The 1DXii essentially has a booster grip built into it... so I guess I fail to see your point there?

Why does it matter at all what your local photographers are using? How is that even relevant to the topic? I know of several shooters here on the forums alone who shoot exclusively with Fuji, Sony and even M4/3 for weddings. Just because it isn't the standard doesn't mean it isn't perfectly workable. I know local photographers who still shoot weddings entirely on film.

Your last paragraph I agree with.

I honestly do not miss that many shots. With my mirrored Canon every single lens is micro adjusted and I seldom ever complain of back/front focus with my Canon L glass. Perhaps my old 5d classic the AF was sluggish but single shot it was OK in it's prime.

So far it's absolutely safe to say spontaneous moments during and event a 5dmk4 would be a better tool. Moments are very spontaneous during any event photography. A 5dmk4 with an LP-E6N battery will last substantially longer than a small single fuji battery. My point is that the 1dXmk2 is the OP's primary camera body..that's my point. He has no idea how much of a beast both in performance and heavy size that camera is compared to a fuji X-T2. Weight for hired work was not a complaint.

Lugging an X-T2 with booster grip and EF-X500 is not going to be substantial weight savings over a 5dmk4 with no battery grip and 430EXiii RT or 600EXmk2 flash. The difference is for spontaneous (my word of the day haha) moments the 5dmk4 has virtually identical high performance AF of his 1DXmk2.

I cannot comment on photog's tolerance to image quality using even current Micro 4/3 gear. Today's standards at this moment in time the benchmark of high ISO performance is the best it's ever been. A micro 4/3 system is up to a Canon 5D mk1 classic so that's not even remotely good as your previously owned 6d. I would hope a person hired to take photos attempts to buy the best gear possible in their budget. I think Canon and Nikon still dominates most wedding photographer's gear and Sony is not far behind. Fuji on the other hand is still a prime lover's dream and still in the infancy of advanced flash photography. Also the Xpro2 and X-T2 is their newest offerings in better AF performance which still is substantially far behind Canon and Nikon's mirrored bodies. The X-T1 and X-T10 AF is ok but thankfully I appreciate the better AF in the X-T2.

Doesn't matter what other people use. If you analyze many photo forums there is still very few Fuji dedicated wedding photogs compared to Canon or Nikon and even Sony. Sure it's growing in popularity for pro use.

I just hate culling "almost" money shots but missed due to millisecond delay in AF acquisition of my X-T2 shutter. Sure I've got some killer shots with Fuji so dont get me wrong. I just have much more confidence in my Canon AF even after grueliing tests of my X-T2 for my workflow. However casual the fuji does meet my needs.

On Fred Miranda or other photog forums with varies makes of camera's you'll see substantially more hobbyist and photography lovers appreciating Fuji. Looking at POTN virtually over 95+% of the fuji photo galleries are all casual enjoyable photography. Very few pro sports photography or studio work.

Yes times are changing and we will see. I'm just waiting to see how Fuji Jives with the OP's requirements for professional hired photography. Big huge difference between no pressure snapshots vs paid/hired wedding documentation. It's the OP's preference to what gear he will use for paid events.

The topic of switching 5d4 to fuji is not just hardware change but mentally changing some of the photographer's approach in his style. He's already sold off his nice Sony A7Rmk2 due to AF performance with adapted canon lenses. I don't think Fuji with native lenses is any worst or better than the sony/canon adapted lens combo. Hopefully we'll hear from the op :)

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Aug 02, 2017 18:08 as a reply to AlanU's post |  #24

Care to share any of these missed money shots?

I would love to see them since they are a reoccurring theme in almost every fuji related post.

Your image can chosen for the Best Of gallery only if it is in your own member gallery.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,939 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed.
Aug 02, 2017 18:41 |  #25

Osa713 wrote in post #18417728 (external link)
Care to share any of these missed money shots?

I would love to see them since they are a reoccurring theme in almost every fuji related post.

If the shots were missed, how could one post them? ;)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Aug 02, 2017 19:04 |  #26

OK then, some info if anybody cares... and you shouldn't really, but hey...

Not much Fuji shooters of weddings out there, really? Facebook wedding shooters group over 4000 members: https://www.facebook.c​om/groups/X.Weddings/ (external link)
Pleats of great wedding images in there from shooters allover the world, including me :-D

If I ever got a 3% shot fail rate on any camera I'd soil myself with the excitement. Over 97%? really?

AF system on the 5D2 was sloooow and really not that accurate at times, not on the one I had. Yes it would get shots but not that quickly & all the time, the 5D3 was much better, really nice in fact but far from perfect. Having said that I only had one 5D2 and three 5D3's - only one the the 5D3's had to be returned under warranty, along with my 70D [Total POS in the AF dept at times]. That's only a 40% fail rate from Canon right there.  :p

Having the booster grip on is not a requirement for events at all, I manage to get shots, somehow, with a lowly X-T1 and the somewhat less lowly X-PRO2 quite a lot of the time - shots for clients like Heineken and Molson. Apparently they like shots that are in focus, damn you Fuji with your sub par focusing.

I've seen shots with the XF 50-140 F/2.8 that have had a 'nervous' background too but I have also seen shots from the same lens that have a lovely soft background, did Fujifilm - the lens makers for Hasselblad & many high quality broadcast lenses - make a cockup with their top-level tele-zoom, must ask for one for a try out and see, all the other lenses are so fantastic it's hard to think they got one of their flagship lenses so wrong, I hope not.

Batteries, those tiny $10 batteries with their miserly 400 shots per charge. Such a shame the camera can't let you know how run down it's battery is when you are shooting, if only that kind of info, perhaps a percentage, could somehow be displayed in the viewfinder so you could plan for the 20secs you might need to fumble one out and back in again.

I can tell you from experience that Fuji with native glass hands Sony's ass back when to pop on adapted glass in AF speed. Least that has been my experience [ps not bashing Sony there:love:, just adaptors].

Can you hear me down the back?

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
9,769 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Aug 02, 2017 19:11 |  #27

AlanU wrote in post #18417595 (external link)
Doesn't matter what other people use. If you analyze many photo forums there is still very few Fuji dedicated wedding photogs compared to Canon or Nikon and even Sony. Sure it's growing in popularity for pro use.

I just hate culling "almost" money shots but missed due to millisecond delay in AF acquisition of my X-T2 shutter. Sure I've got some killer shots with Fuji so dont get me wrong. I just have much more confidence in my Canon AF even after grueliing tests of my X-T2 for my workflow. However casual the fuji does meet my needs.

On Fred Miranda or other photog forums with varies makes of camera's you'll see substantially more hobbyist and photography lovers appreciating Fuji. Looking at POTN virtually over 95+% of the fuji photo galleries are all casual enjoyable photography. Very few pro sports photography or studio work.

Yes times are changing and we will see. I'm just waiting to see how Fuji Jives with the OP's requirements for professional hired photography. Big huge difference between no pressure snapshots vs paid/hired wedding documentation. It's the OP's preference to what gear he will use for paid events.

The topic of switching 5d4 to fuji is not just hardware change but mentally changing some of the photographer's approach in his style. He's already sold off his nice Sony A7Rmk2 due to AF performance with adapted canon lenses. I don't think Fuji with native lenses is any worst or better than the sony/canon adapted lens combo. Hopefully we'll hear from the op :)

I cut out the first few paragraphs because honestly, you and I keep having this back and forth and it's going nowhere.

The first bolded paragraph I highlighted because the first sentence seems to conflict with the rest of that paragraph? Am I misunderstanding something here?

The second bolded paragraph I highlighted because I'd like to point out that a large reason for that is that this forum was for many years a Canon shooters forum. That's how I and most other users here started in this forum. Many users are still at the point where I was a year or two ago, just beginning to dip their toes into Fuji as their secondary system, so of course most of the Fuji shots on this forum are casual use photos.

Having tried my friend's A6500 with adapted Canon glass I can say pretty confidently that the X-Pro2 (and thus I would assume X-T2 and X-T20) AF is better, even with my slower XF lenses (all of mine are considered "slow" XF lenses :lol: ). Now, will it be "good enough" for the OP? Only he can decide that.

I can say that I have never broken a sweat over needing my cameras to bring home the bacon, not once.

A few examples from my noticeably slower X100T (because I haven't gotten to the X-Pro2 cards yet)

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4320/35907463920_0b44b45f66_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/WH29​2w] (external link)DSCF2192.jpg (external link) by Lucas (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4312/35480112814_fe0d057507_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/W4fR​r1] (external link)DSCF2331.jpg (external link) by Lucas (external link), on Flickr

If I remember right, those were even shot using AF-C (which is pretty "meh" on the X100T).

EDIT: And to be fully transparent, here's one of the few missed shots I have encountered, but I literally pulled the camera off my shoulder, turned it on and fired a shot, first one missed, next two hit. This was my friend coming home to his grandmother after 6 months in Iraq

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4292/36276315986_0d096214a0_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/XgBA​TU] (external link)DSCF1912.jpg (external link) by Lucas (external link), on Flickr

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,494 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Aug 02, 2017 20:38 |  #28

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18417785 (external link)
OK then, some info if anybody cares... and you shouldn't really, but hey...

Not much Fuji shooters of weddings out there, really? Facebook wedding shooters group over 4000 members: https://www.facebook.c​om/groups/X.Weddings/ (external link)
Pleats of great wedding images in there from shooters allover the world, including me :-D

If I ever got a 3% shot fail rate on any camera I'd soil myself with the excitement. Over 97%? really?

AF system on the 5D2 was sloooow and really not that accurate at times, not on the one I had. Yes it would get shots but not that quickly & all the time, the 5D3 was much better, really nice in fact but far from perfect. Having said that I only had one 5D2 and three 5D3's - only one the the 5D3's had to be returned under warranty, along with my 70D [Total POS in the AF dept at times]. That's only a 40% fail rate from Canon right there.  :p

Having the booster grip on is not a requirement for events at all, I manage to get shots, somehow, with a lowly X-T1 and the somewhat less lowly X-PRO2 quite a lot of the time - shots for clients like Heineken and Molson. Apparently they like shots that are in focus, damn you Fuji with your sub par focusing.

I've seen shots with the XF 50-140 F/2.8 that have had a 'nervous' background too but I have also seen shots from the same lens that have a lovely soft background, did Fujifilm - the lens makers for Hasselblad & many high quality broadcast lenses - make a cockup with their top-level tele-zoom, must ask for one for a try out and see, all the other lenses are so fantastic it's hard to think they got one of their flagship lenses so wrong, I hope not.

Batteries, those tiny $10 batteries with their miserly 400 shots per charge. Such a shame the camera can't let you know how run down it's battery is when you are shooting, if only that kind of info, perhaps a percentage, could somehow be displayed in the viewfinder so you could plan for the 20secs you might need to fumble one out and back in again.

I can tell you from experience that Fuji with native glass hands Sony's ass back when to pop on adapted glass in AF speed. Least that has been my experience [ps not bashing Sony there:love:, just adaptors].

Can you hear me down the back?

I shot a formal engagement party last week, and out of the thousand shots, I picked maybe 150 keepers, and out of the keepers, when pixel peeped, I dont think I missed a single shot. Throw away shots were mostly due to uncle bob with his point and shoot having people look away when they were posing smh. Generally, I hardly ever miss, but getting a bad expression or composition or blinking or hair in face, that's much more common.

Sony A7r - A7ii - A7rii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CY 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Post has been edited 2 months ago by AlanU.
Aug 02, 2017 20:44 |  #29

Lucas,

I'm just waiting for the OP to chime in as he puts a Fuji to serious use :) I think the OP would be a brave man to have a Fuji body and entirely different supporting gear for his "Emergency" Fuji system to lug around for a spare emergency backup. I shuffle a wide selection of lenses between two canon camera bodies during an event. Less gear to lug and faster up time if his Primary body fails.

It may possibly be a positive enjoying Fuji experience even after having spoiled luxury of "Beast" performance from his 1DXmk2 :) but if he relies on AF (sounds like he does) will be a scary rude awakening when low light effects the Fuji AF system. Sounds like he's had a taste of failing AF with his Sony /adapted Canon lens combo.

I guess Fred Miranda would be a "Universal" discussion forum for all camera makes. The "wedding" section might still be nikon/canon dominated with a mix of sony......not that it matters to you or I :)

I only started to get into small form factor because lugging my 3 children was hard with my Canon 1dmk3 on my spider holster LOL!!! I didn't care for the iso performance so I switched to Fuji as I still continued to use my heavier Canon gear.

I can't dump my love for Fuji but I still appreciate my Canon gear too!! I guess if the Fuji X-T4 or X-T5 is on par with a Sony A9.....I'll dump my Canon LOL!!!

Taking a gander at FM and even there wedding photogs say some name calling "toy" camera for wedding application. I careless what people use as long as they uphold killer IQ and fantastic composition. There's still many discussing using the 5dmk4 that's capable of every situation in the wedding day's workflow.

OP??? take a gander at FM and read the wedding section too!

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
9,769 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Aug 02, 2017 21:05 |  #30

Charlie wrote in post #18417864 (external link)
I shot a formal engagement party last week, and out of the thousand shots, I picked maybe 150 keepers, and out of the keepers, when pixel peeped, I dont think I missed a single shot. Throw away shots were mostly due to uncle bob with his point and shoot having people look away when they were posing smh. Generally, I hardly ever miss, but getting a bad expression or composition or blinking or hair in face, that's much more common.

For static portraiture my hit rate is at about 100% for focus hits. Heck, I can confidently do that even with manual focus, but that wasn't the example we were talking about. We were talking about wedding shots specifically which are far more demanding for focus requirements and thus inherently will have some misses with any gear.

That said, I definitely agree; missed expressions, blinked eyes, etc are a far bigger factor in throw away shots than focus issues ever are.

sponsored links

1,922 views & 13 likes for this thread
Sell 5D Mark IV for Fuji
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.