Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 29 Mar 2016 (Tuesday) 04:21
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

-= 80D owners unite! Discuss and post photos

TomCruise06
Joined Jun 2017
Aug 01, 2017 13:22 |  #1426

Michael456 wrote in post #18416422 (external link)
Not much of a setup, really. I shoot hand-held, no flash.
As to settings:
For shots like this one I use M-mode with auto-iso (I like to have one setting controlled by the camera so I don't have to change settings every time the light changes slightly).
For damselflies I'm usually at 400mm. When shooting at or near MFD (this one's pretty exactly at MFD) I stop down to f8, because sharpness of the 100-400 II isn't great at MFD wide open (and I get more depth of field that way). For this shot I used f10 because I wanted the whole damsel (head to tail) to be in focus and I couldn't get into a position exactly parallel to the animal (down-sloping riverbank).
1/200 is my go-to shutter speed for tele-macros with the 100-400. I'll use faster shutter speeds from time to time (when the light is good or the subject is moving) but have found out that my keeper rate decreases quite a bit when using slower shutter speeds.

Thank you very much for this info as it helps a lot for amateurs like me.

sponsored links
lijoec
Joined Jan 2009
Long Island
Aug 01, 2017 15:51 |  #1427

TomCruise06 wrote in post #18416456 (external link)
Thank you very much for this info as it helps a lot for amateurs like me.

and me :lol:

I'm waiting for more bee shots so I can quiz him on those!

Cheers,
Joe

emppu
Joined Feb 2011
Finland
Aug 02, 2017 06:11 |  #1428

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Terrycanon
Joined Mar 2016
Lancashire, UK
Aug 02, 2017 15:10 |  #1429

Some welcome colour in our drab UK summer...

HOSTED PHOTO

See my pictures on Flickr: tezzerh

Terrycanon
Joined Mar 2016
Lancashire, UK
Post has been edited 4 months ago by Terrycanon.
Aug 04, 2017 04:57 |  #1430

A couple from Portmeirion, a unique village in North Wales, UK

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Michael456
241 posts
Joined Apr 2016
Aug 04, 2017 07:55 |  #1431

lijoec wrote in post #18416566 (external link)
and me :lol:

I'm waiting for more bee shots so I can quiz him on those!

As per request... :-D

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO
(I hope wasps are OK as well ;-)a)

Michael456
241 posts
Joined Apr 2016
Aug 04, 2017 08:02 |  #1432

OK, so I've taken a couple of photos of my basic macro setup. First, the stuff I use:

HOSTED PHOTO
A flexible arm with a mini-ballhead on one end. The arm is mounted to a mini quick-release clamp. I needed an adapter screw to connect the arm to the clamp and added some epoxy, because I would often unscrew the joint when bending the arm.
Plus a flash cable, the end with the hot shoe screwed onto the ballhead.

HOSTED PHOTO
A mini softbox to diffuse the flash. Dirt cheap and folds flat, so it fits into almost any bag. And an ordinary flash (speedlite 430 II in my case).

Michael456
241 posts
Joined Apr 2016
Aug 04, 2017 08:18 |  #1433

Everything assembled:

HOSTED PHOTO

The qick release clamp is clamped to the tripod plate that's always on my camera anyway. That way I can quickly mount and unmount the whole thing without any tools. The flexible arm allows me to position the flash wherever I want it to be. Using the flash cable saves me the hassle of having to use the internal flash as a master (which would eat battery).
There are probably much smarter ways for a macro setup, but this works for me.
This is the setup I use for "normal" macros. With the MP-E 65 lighting the subject gets difficult (at least at higher magnifications) that way, so I use a Yongnuo 24EX twin flash with that.

As to camera settings:
I shot in M-mode, using one-shot AF, single point, moving the AF point around with the d-pad to wherever I want it (to get the composition I want). For shutter speed I use 1/200 or 1/250, I usually set aperture to f11 which is a good compromise between depth of field and diffraction.
I mostly leave ISO aut auto-ISO, which the camera always sets to ISO400 when using flash. ISO 400 is a nice compromise, as image quality is still very good and it still captures some ambient light for the background. Sometimes I use ISO100 or 200, but that often results in a black background (which can look very good but I don't want that for every photo).
I turn flash power down a bit, how much depends on how bright it is when I shoot - usually betwenn -1/3 to -1.

Some general things I try to consider when shooting bugs:
  • I try to avoid sudden movements. When moving carefully, most bugs let me get pretty close.
  • I try to get to eye-level (or below).
  • I focus on the eye and try to either shoot from the side or head-on.

harryh813
Joined Mar 2017
Tampa, Florida, U.S.
Aug 04, 2017 09:09 |  #1434

Michael456 wrote in post #18419028 (external link)
Everything assembled:

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Michael456 in
./showthread.php?p=184​19028&i=i128928632
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

The qick release clamp is clamped to the tripod plate that's always on my camera anyway. That way I can quickly mount and unmount the whole thing without any tools. The flexible arm allows me to position the flash wherever I want it to be. Using the flash cable saves me the hassle of having to use the internal flash as a master (which would eat battery).
This is the setup I use for "normal" macros. With the MP-E 65 lighting the subject gets difficult (at least at higher magnifications) that way, so I use a Yongnuo 24EX twin flash with that.

As to camera settings:
I shot in M-mode, using one-shot AF, single point, moving the AF point around with the d-pad to wherever I want it (to get the composition I want). For shutter speed I use 1/200 or 1/250, I usually set aperture to f11 which is a good compromise between depth of field and diffraction.
I mostly leave ISO aut auto-ISO, which the camera always sets to ISO400 when using flash. ISO 400 is a nice compromise, as image quality is still very good and it still captures some ambient light for the background. Sometimes I use ISO100 or 200, but that often results in a black background (which can look very good but I don't want that for every photo).
I turn flash power down a bit, how much depends on how bright it is when I shoot - usually betwenn -1/3 to -1.

• I try to avoid sudden movements. When moving carefully, most bugs let me get pretty close.

Thanks for the explanations. I'd like to venture into some macro in the not too distant future.

Canon EOS 80D | Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS |

bones519
Joined Dec 2011
Ontario, CAN
Aug 04, 2017 09:58 |  #1435

Michael456 wrote in post #18419028 (external link)
Everything assembled:

./showthread.php?p=184​19028&i=i128928632

As to camera settings:

Greatly appreciate the write-up Michael.

Terrycanon
Joined Mar 2016
Lancashire, UK
Aug 04, 2017 10:08 |  #1436

bones519 wrote in post #18419111 (external link)
Greatly appreciate the write-up Michael.

Me, too! I shall keep an eye on it for future reference.

lijoec
Joined Jan 2009
Long Island
Aug 04, 2017 11:19 |  #1437

Thank you, it is greatly appreciated. I need to work on the flash mount then I have to give it a try. No laughing though. :lol:

Michael456 wrote in post #18419001 (external link)
As per request... :-D

./showthread.php?p=184​19001&i=i190665758

./showthread.php?p=184​19001&i=i85374071
(I hope wasps are OK as well ;-)a)

Cheers,
Joe

LoneRider
Joined Dec 2010
Marysville, WA.
Aug 04, 2017 13:00 |  #1438

She looks like an angel, but don't let that fool you....

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4342/36235330951_d9104c12c4_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/XcZx​tn] (external link)IMG_0013 (external link) by Wayne Wilson (external link), on Flickr

~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
GEAR LIST

MatthewK
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Aug 05, 2017 18:06 |  #1439

Deviated from birds, and did some macro today. Used a soft box for lighting.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4368/35557703894_1a0fa6aeff_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Wb7w​yf] (external link)Jumping spider (external link) by M K (external link), on Flickr

flickrexternal link

lijoec
Joined Jan 2009
Long Island
Aug 05, 2017 23:45 |  #1440

ugh, not happy with the attempt . but it is my best so far.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4442/35589268753_4fcd310463_z.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/WdUi​FX] (external link)IMG_0609 (external link) by Joseph Colozzo (external link), on Flickr

Cheers,
Joe

sponsored links

502,799 views & 5120 likes for this thread
-= 80D owners unite! Discuss and post photos
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.