Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras
Thread started 16 Apr 2017 (Sunday) 21:10
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Second shooter lens question

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,169 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 5 months ago by Wilt.
May 29, 2017 14:44 |  #16

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18365834 (external link)
Yeah, I really don't know how people lug so much gear around for such a long period of time... I was feeling sore just after a 5 hour wedding with my 3 Fuji bodies, and for most of it I only carried 2 at a time and no bag... and I'm under 30! :lol:

I used to carry a medium format SLR and zoom lens and potatomasher flash on a flash rotating bracket, for 10 hr. wedding coverage back before the year 2000.
Bronica ETRSi + metering prism + 45-90mm zoom + speed grip + Metz 45CL flash + Newton flash rotator = 9 lbs. 1 oz.
Add a Quantum Turbo battery on the shoulder to power the flash.
And the bag full of lenses and film magazines.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links
Osa713
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
May 29, 2017 14:53 |  #17

Wilt wrote in post #18365850 (external link)
I used to carry a medium format SLR and zoom lens and potatomasher flash on a flash rotating bracket, for 10 hr. wedding coverage back before the year 2000.
Bronica ETRSi + metering prism + 45-90mm zoom + speed grip + Metz 45CL flash + Newton flash rotator = 9 lbs. 1 oz.
Add a Quantum Turbo battery on the shoulder to power the flash.
And the bag full of lenses and film magazines.

O hell no. Lol :-P

Wilt
39,169 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
May 29, 2017 15:01 |  #18

Osa713 wrote in post #18365867 (external link)
O hell no. Lol :-P

REAL MEN carry 9+ lbs. cameras and lift them a thousand times or more over the course of a ten hour day, and then are not sore the next day! ;-)a

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
May 29, 2017 15:12 |  #19

I don't miss lugging around two 5D3's and a handful of lenses and lights at all. Much nicer now with mirrorless. Two cameras held up by my moneymaker and an Ona Bowery for spare lenses etc... Good shoes helped the most though.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

Osa713
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
May 29, 2017 15:16 |  #20

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18365882 (external link)
I don't miss lugging around two 5D3's and a handful of lenses and lights at all. Much nicer now with mirrorless. Two cameras held up by my moneymaker and an Ona Bowery for spare lenses etc... Good shoes helped the most though.

I was about to message you to ask about your setup. I wore all black adidas ultra boost and that made a huge difference. I wasn't sore the next day at all but I did have moments were my hand cramped during the wedding.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
May 29, 2017 15:55 |  #21

With my Spider holster I can lug dslr's effortlessly. I usually had a neoprene op/tech neck strap for one camera and another camera on the side holster.

If I put my fuji body on my spider holster (sitting right side of my hip) I cannot even tell it's even there!!!

Osa, if you add a light weight aluminum grip on your fuji you'll probably find you'll never had cramping :) Get some GT5000 rubber grip tape (hand gun grip tape) and you'll think the camera grip is Oem.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Post has been last edited 5 months ago by Two Hot Shoes. 4 edits done in total.
May 29, 2017 16:09 |  #22

Usually I wear a Boss suit, looks good in everyone else photos or whatever will fit into the day, The amount of times a second shooter turns up in a check shirt and baggy trousers for me is once, as they will get into some shots and really look out of place, not good as far as I'm concerned. The moneymaker and bowery are part of that smart look too, plus they feel great and start conversation most weddings, apparently I look like Bruce Willis. Although that was said when I was just in a white T-shirt and jeans in an ice cave, I kinda understood that one. For shoes I wear Clarks, they are very comfortable all day [tested over 14 hours, sadly] and have a clean/smart look. I think making the little extra effort helps on the day but you don't have to go over the top & I'd rather fit in to the crowds dress sense as I am part of the wedding standing right beside the bride/groom of a good part of the day, you are going to get in photos that get shared from time to time.

The good shoes really was the best investment I ever made, if I have a long drive home a fresh pair of socks and some trainers for the drive = bliss.

In the bowery I usually carry two extra lenses a flash+cable [perhaps until good triggers are available] batteries, cleaning cloth, SD cards, business cards etc... Everything else is in the rollers until I know need it. That's for the working part of the day, the 'church' and the procession into the reception, the formals are a one camera affair, more or less. The afters also one camera only.

I eat nuts as well as oat bars and always have some water near by, eating a banana each day for the week before a wedding will help with the cramps - that and doing weddings regularly, ha!
Hope you had fun, I really like weddings, so personal to be invited to stand right next to a couple while they tie the knot.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

Osa713
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
May 29, 2017 17:42 |  #23

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18365933 (external link)
Usually I wear a Boss suit, looks good in everyone else photos or whatever will fit into the day, The amount of times a second shooter turns up in a check shirt and baggy trousers for me is once, as they will get into some shots and really look out of place, not good as far as I'm concerned. The moneymaker and bowery are part of that smart look too, plus they feel great and start conversation most weddings, apparently I look like Bruce Willis. Although that was said when I was just in a white T-shirt and jeans in an ice cave, I kinda understood that one. For shoes I wear Clarks, they are very comfortable all day [tested over 14 hours, sadly] and have a clean/smart look. I think making the little extra effort helps on the day but you don't have to go over the top & I'd rather fit in to the crowds dress sense as I am part of the wedding standing right beside the bride/groom of a good part of the day, you are going to get in photos that get shared from time to time.

The good shoes really was the best investment I ever made, if I have a long drive home a fresh pair of socks and some trainers for the drive = bliss.

In the bowery I usually carry two extra lenses a flash+cable [perhaps until good triggers are available] batteries, cleaning cloth, SD cards, business cards etc... Everything else is in the rollers until I know need it. That's for the working part of the day, the 'church' and the procession into the reception, the formals are a one camera affair, more or less. The afters also one camera only.

I eat nuts as well as oat bars and always have some water near by, eating a banana each day for the week before a wedding will help with the cramps - that and doing weddings regularly, ha!
Hope you had fun, I really like weddings, so personal to be invited to stand right next to a couple while they tie the knot.

Thanks for the input! I wore a tailored black polo and trousers to my first rodeo. I'm in luxury retail sales so how I dress is very important.

On the money maker, it looks like a good option for me in the future. My buddy has one and he loves it. I think it was the booster grip that made my hand cramp as I haven't held it for extended periods before, next time I will go without it.

And yes shooting more weddings will definitely help me out!

Your image can chosen for the Best Of gallery only if it is in your own member gallery.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Post has been edited 5 months ago by EverydayGetaway.
May 29, 2017 18:04 |  #24

Wilt wrote in post #18365876 (external link)
REAL MEN carry 9+ lbs. cameras and lift them a thousand times or more over the course of a ten hour day, and then are not sore the next day! ;-)a

You try lifting/throwing/holdi​ng/catching 50-150lbs kids 6 days a week for 10 years, then tell me about how you're not sore the next day. ;)

My arms aren't the issue, carrying around extra gear means extra strain on my already troubled back, no thanks.

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18365933 (external link)

I totally agree on the looking sharp part. I was a guest at a wedding a few years ago and the photographer there was wearing some cargo shorts and a polo and he stuck out so much that it bothered me even as a guest :lol:

I need to heed your advice on shoes... my feet didn't feel very good after the last wedding I shot, just a pair of cheap oxfords :mrgreen:

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Osa713
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Jun 02, 2017 13:26 |  #25

AlanU wrote in post #18365916 (external link)
With my Spider holster I can lug dslr's effortlessly. I usually had a neoprene op/tech neck strap for one camera and another camera on the side holster.

If I put my fuji body on my spider holster (sitting right side of my hip) I cannot even tell it's even there!!!

Osa, if you add a light weight aluminum grip on your fuji you'll probably find you'll never had cramping :) Get some GT5000 rubber grip tape (hand gun grip tape) and you'll think the camera grip is Oem.

I had my X-T2 across the body with the peak design slide lite and the weight didn't bother me. I felt the weight when I went to grab the camera.

I will look into the grip with out the battery pack, it might be better for shooting all day.

Wilt
39,169 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 5 months ago by Wilt.
Jun 02, 2017 16:19 |  #26

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18366038 (external link)
You try lifting/throwing/holdi​ng/catching 50-150lbs kids 6 days a week for 10 years, then tell me about how you're not sore the next day. ;)

[hesitating] should I call the Bowie MD cops to report suspected child abuse?! lifting/throwing/holdi​ng/catching 50-150lbs kids 6 days a week for 10 years???

Osa713
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Jun 02, 2017 16:26 |  #27

Wilt wrote in post #18369412 (external link)
[hesitating] should I call the Bowie MD cops to report suspected child abuse?! lifting/throwing/holdi​ng/catching 50-150lbs kids 6 days a week for 10 years???

Lol he is a an Gym instructor I assume

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Jun 02, 2017 19:07 |  #28

Osa713 wrote in post #18369414 (external link)
Lol he is a an Gym instructor I assume

Correct. I coach gymnastics. They don't learn to do those skills by praying and chucking themselves into the air :rolleyes:

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Dave ­ Jenkins
520 posts
Joined Jun 2007
The Beautiful Northwest Georgia Mountains!
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Dave Jenkins.
Aug 02, 2017 21:03 |  #29

Up until the mid-'90s I mostly shot with a full Hasselblad rig. Then moved to 35mm as films like Fuji Reala , NPS, and NPH came on the market, and finally to digital in 2003. Since 2009 I have only been a second shooter, using a Canon 6D and lighter lenses for the past several years. I had no trouble with weight until I broke my back in 2005. I'm 80 now, and moving to lighter and lighter equipment. I would be shooting with micro 4/3s if my primary shooter would let me, but I think she'll be okay with the Fuji kit I'm acquiring.

We don't do weddings longer than eight hours. For the sake of my back, I take two advil and two tylenol at the beginning and repeat after five or six hours. Works okay, as do my Rockport wingtips.

By the way, my avatar to the left shows me as I looked about a week before the back fracture. It happened the day after we came back from Italy.

Dave Jenkins
<'}}}}><
My newest book: Backroads and Byways of Georgia. See it at amazon.com.
Travel and People: www.davidbjenkins.com (external link)
My award winning book: Rock City Barns: A Passing Era. 29,000 copies sold.

sponsored links

3,057 views & 13 likes for this thread
Second shooter lens question
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.