Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Underwater Photography
Thread started 02 Jul 2017 (Sunday) 06:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Florida's underwater caves...

Decostanza
Joined May 2014
Indiana
Post has been edited 5 months ago by Decostanza.
Jul 02, 2017 06:01 |  #1

One of the most relaxing things I get to do is explore and bring my camera into underwater cave systems. There is a zen-like feeling cave divers experience that is impossible to describe to those that do not engage in that activity. While there is an amazing beauty in these systems, the hazards are ever present of diving in underwater caves...and of course, the flooding of a housing is enough to bring a tear to your eye.

While I was having equipment issues in one of the systems (slave strobes weren't firing...no surprise there), here are a few pics from earlier this week in another system...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
Decostanza
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2014
Indiana
Post has been edited 5 months ago by Decostanza.
Jul 02, 2017 06:03 |  #2

and a couple more for today...

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

JaySop
Joined Mar 2012
Jul 09, 2017 23:15 |  #3

You just set off my claustrophobia

Decostanza
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2014
Indiana
Jul 11, 2017 20:42 |  #4

sorry about that, grin...here is one from the same system just in a different part of of it...I took this to share with friends who think we have to strip down to our birthday suit to go through the passages...

HOSTED PHOTO

Decostanza
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2014
Indiana
Jul 11, 2017 20:43 |  #5

...and ten minutes earlier, this is what we had to go through to get to that open area in the previous image

HOSTED PHOTO

langer550
Joined May 2009
Canada
Jul 12, 2017 21:13 |  #6

This is incredible. Glad I could experience it via your pictures rather than in person.

Canon 6D, 50mm 1.4, 24-105 f4, 16-35L f4, 70-200L IS II f2.8

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
Joined Apr 2014
Psych Ward, East Wing, USA
Jul 12, 2017 21:38 |  #7

Very cool experience, and excellent lens choice.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

Decostanza
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2014
Indiana
Jul 16, 2017 10:23 |  #8

Thanks for the comments...and the lens is excellent underwater! Here is one as we wrapped up our dive...

HOSTED PHOTO

cicopo
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
Ottawa, Ont, Canada
Aug 01, 2017 18:57 |  #9

Caves aren't my thing but the water clarity is amazing. I have spent time at Ginny Springs but not past where only certified cave divers are allowed. It was fun playing in the current at one spot.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

Lyn2011
Joined Dec 2011
Australia
Aug 03, 2017 05:59 |  #10

Amazing pictures, thanks for sharing, because I will never have the courage to do this.

seaninsa
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Aug 03, 2017 16:56 |  #11

You are brave for doing caves. That is one thing I will never venture into. Cave diving is a whole different level of scuba.

Decostanza
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2014
Indiana
Aug 03, 2017 22:11 as a reply to seaninsa's post |  #12

Seaninsa,
Thank you for your comment. Cave diving isn't for most divers. Those that do engage in it invest a considerable amount of time and resources to hone specific skills that keep them and their team safe. As a Great Lakes shipwreck diver, I had zero interest in cave diving...until my first dive in one during my class. Truly a Zen moment for me. Now we spend our time creating various photographs to share with those not able to enjoy this part of natures beauty.

seaninsa
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Sep 2011
Aug 04, 2017 13:32 as a reply to Decostanza's post |  #13

Yes cave diving is a special type of diving. I am to claustrophobic for that type of diving. Glad to see you have lines and other safety gear. I am glad you enjoy it :).

Monkey ­ moss
910 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Bristol, England
Sep 07, 2017 12:22 |  #14

Yep, agree with all the others. Enjoyed seeing the pics but just looking at them sends shivers down my spine.

Love those 50/50 in and out of water pics as well. The best representation of the two different world's.

Just out of interest what do people think is the best way of taking a decent quality in/out water pic? Slr housing or something like a go pro?

Jon :cool::oops::D:cry::confused::(:lol:
Gear: 5Diii, 16-35 f4, 24-70 f2.8 ii, 70-300L, 35mm f2 IS, 85mm 1.8
My Flickr (external link)

Decostanza
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2014
Indiana
Sep 08, 2017 20:51 as a reply to Monkey moss's post |  #15

Thanks Monkey Moss... best over/under shot requires a wide angle and large dome (8" or larger). I suppose you could capture something with a gopro...just never tried it.
While this isn't a cave, it might be of interest to some... this is where we spend our time in the summer months...on the bottom of the Great Lakes exploring time capsules of a by-gone era.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

2,310 views & 27 likes for this thread
Florida's underwater caves...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Underwater Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.