Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases
Thread started 30 Jun 2017 (Friday) 06:58
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Mindshift gear sling bags

sawsedge
Joined Dec 2011
United States
Jun 30, 2017 06:58 |  #1

I just got an email from Mindshift about their new sling bags: https://www.mindshiftg​ear.com/collections/sl​ing-bags (external link)

They look just like their cousins, the Thinktank Turnstyles, but add a water bottle holder, which makes them more useful IMHO. I might just let go of my Mountainsmith Descent and get one of these.

- John

sponsored links
ChristopherMadison
523 posts
Joined Mar 2009
New Jersey
Jul 01, 2017 07:23 |  #2

Ordered one and it's on the way ;-)a

My Gear

TMaG82
Joined Jun 2008
Jul 01, 2017 11:39 |  #3

Ordered the 10 in grey the moment that I saw it. What's funny is that I was typing in for Manfrotto in my iPad Safari browser and it directed to Mindshift gear instead based on past history. Saw it and ordered. Coming in on the 7th. Went with the 10 as I know that if I get the 13 I'll end up trying to put in too much gear like the 70-200 2.8. For the life of me I can't figure out who would want to carry around a 13" laptop in a sling bag. My wife told me to get the grey as well as she said that I can't pull off the orange piping, maybe 10 years ago.

Current Gear: Nadda

MatthewK
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Jul 19, 2017 04:55 |  #4

I'll be getting one of the 13's. The TurnStyle 20 is my go-to travel and walk around pack, and at times I wish it had a hair more room. Add in the weather resistance, and it's a done deal. Orange piping looks awesome :-)

flickrexternal link

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by mike_d. 2 edits done in total.
Jul 20, 2017 17:23 |  #5

MatthewK wrote in post #18405602 (external link)
I'll be getting one of the 13's. The TurnStyle 20 is my go-to travel and walk around pack, and at times I wish it had a hair more room. Add in the weather resistance, and it's a done deal. Orange piping looks awesome :-)

The TurnStyle 20 is also my go-to bag most of the time but a bit more room would be nice at times. The video reviews on the Photocross look good but I'm not sure about the zippered main flap vs the TT's zipper down the middle. The dual handles and "pull tab" for swinging around look nice. Please post your thoughts on the new bag vs the TurnStyle when you get it.

Chris ­ Bellamy
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Aug 2012
UK
Jul 21, 2017 05:18 |  #6

thanks for the heads-up on this; the bags look great and I'll likely get the 13. I see the Shuttermuse review shows it will hold a non-gripped DSLR with the 400 DO II, which is very nice. I used to have the Lowe Pro Slingshot (the midsize one, 302 I think), which was excellent and I loved the rapid accessibility, but like any sling bag when loaded tended to quickly drag on the shoulder or give backache after a while. I think though that I'll give the Photocross 13 a go, as I've been missing the rapid accessibility of a sling bag, it looks a much better ergonomic design and the water-resistant features will be very useful to me.
I love the MindShift bags: my rotation 180Pro is fantastic for long hikes, but this fills a different niche.
Chris

MatthewK
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Jul 25, 2017 05:43 |  #7

I received the PhotoCross 13 yesterday, and wanted to share some quick impressions. I'm comparing it to the TurnStyle 20, as one of the two will be my go-to travel/walk around bag.

- PhotoCross has more space. I fit my maximum travel setup without distorting the bag: 100-400 II, 5D4 + 16-35 f/4, 50L, 1.4xIII TC. There's still space in the outer pocket to fit keys, wallet, cell phone, and more; the elastic pocket for water bottle/whatever is awesome, a huge plus over the TurnStyle. There's even the capability to strap things to the outer part too, such as a travel tripod, so I could carry even more, but probably won't... This load totally distorts the TurnStyle, and with the minimal padding, makes it borderline insufficient. Win for the PhotoCross.

- TurnStyle is more svelte and sleek, PhotoCross is more "frumpy". The extra waterproof material that makes up the back pocket of the PhotoCross is expandable and allows more space to store stuff, but it isn't as put together. If you are concerned about appearance, this may make a difference.

- Fit: here's where I'm undecided on the PhotoCross. In order to snug the bag up enough to where it sits right on my back, I have to tighten the cross strap to the max. This leaves a good 18 inches of dangling strap to deal with. I'm 6', 210lbs, athletic build... someone with a smaller frame may not be able to tighten this bag up enough. They probably did this so you have space to adjust for bulky outer layers, but I wish there was adjustable length on both sides of the strap so you could dial in the right fit for your body specs.

- Comfort: with the gear I loaded up, it's pretty comfortable. The broader strap distributes weight well, and the waist strap stabilizes the bag nicely.

- Waterproof cover. The TurnStyle has it's own hidden compartment, but that's not the case with the PhotoCross, so you will have to devote space somewhere to this cover. Considering the PhotoCross has DWR coating, and you don't have a penchant for standing in downpours, you could forgo this cover if space is more important.

Overall, this bag sits at the precipice of being too large for a sling bag, but small enough to be manageable. It definitely scratches that main itch I have with the TurnStyle, in that I can't take a small jacket/waterbottle or travel tripod with me when out and about. With a lighter load than what I had, it'll be more than manageable.

flickrexternal link

Chris ­ Bellamy
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Aug 2012
UK
Jul 25, 2017 09:08 as a reply to MatthewK's post |  #8

Great review, Matthew, mine arrived yesterday and I agree with all the points and caveats you make. I haven't had time to test the bag outdoors yet, but will likely get a chance at the weekend. I think this bag will have a useful place in my collection from what I've seen of it so far. I was supposed to be cutting down on my bags (got rid of my Trifecta 10), but there we go...

MatthewK
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Jul 25, 2017 10:07 |  #9

I'm going to Florida this weekend (Everglades bird shooting!), and intend on taking this bag, so it'll get a thorough testing. Taking the 100-400, 16-35, 1.4xIII, and 5D4.

I also just got the Lowepro Sport 200 AW, which is a backpack w/ a side load comparment in the bottom for camera. It fits a little less camera gear (2 lens + body), but has more room for other stuff in the top compartment. I may end up going with this bag in the end instead because in colder weather or on travel, you have additional gloves/hat/coat to pack along, and sling type bags are limited in this respect. The PhotoCross might just work, so we'll see.

flickrexternal link

MatthewK
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
Maryland
Jul 31, 2017 11:18 |  #10

I've ended up returning the Mindshift PhotoCross, primarily because it doesn't fit me right. It hangs too low on my back, and it's not snug enough even when tightening the strap all of the way. Additionally, it adds some bulk vs. the ThinkTank TurnStyle 20 that I don't necessarily want when trying to go light.

Overall though, it's a very well made bag.

flickrexternal link

TMaG82
Joined Jun 2008
Aug 03, 2017 08:22 |  #11

MatthewK wrote in post #18415462 (external link)
I've ended up returning the Mindshift PhotoCross, primarily because it doesn't fit me right. It hangs too low on my back, and it's not snug enough even when tightening the strap all of the way. Additionally, it adds some bulk vs. the ThinkTank TurnStyle 20 that I don't necessarily want when trying to go light.

Overall though, it's a very well made bag.

That's the way I feel with most sling bags. I tried the Think Tank Turnstyle, tried the Peak Design Sling, and most recently the Photo Cross 10. No matter which one I get, it hangs low on the back, if I tug it tight to sit higher on my back, it restricts the movement too much to comfortably sling around. I always get by better with backpack type slings, like the Clik Elite Impluse Sling, but at that point if you're going to wear a backpack sling, you might as well look at a regular backpack for additional comfort.

Current Gear: Nadda

sponsored links

1,164 views & 4 likes for this thread
Mindshift gear sling bags
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.