Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk
Thread started 03 Aug 2017 (Thursday) 08:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Where do you get your models?

StanNJ1
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
Post has been edited 2 months ago by StanNJ1.
Aug 03, 2017 08:15 |  #1

I often have ideas for shoots that I want to try and almost always struggle to find models willing to trade their time for images. I shoot mainly for my love of photography and lighting so I would rather not have to pay a model.

I've tried Model Mayhem but that has never worked out. And I think they are charging monthly now if you want replies to your casting calls.

I have also tried Facebook and reached out to a local modeling agency with disappointing results.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Stan
www.stansphotos.com (external link)

1DX, ID MKIII, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 16-35 2.8L, 100 macro, 600EX-RTs, ST-E3-RT, Einsteins, Kacey Beauty Dish with a cracked grid, yada yada
www.stansphotos.comexternal link
www.Facebook.com/LikeS​tansPhotosexternal link

01Ryan10
Joined Aug 2012
OC, California
Aug 03, 2017 18:18 |  #2

It is increasingly tough when starting out. Your best option are friends and family. You've got to be realistic too. You're not going to get a gorgeous model to do TFP. You'll need to start at the bottom of the barrel so to speak. You have to work up your portfolio with models that have little to no experience.

With that said, I've offered $50 for 2 hour modeling sessions and had an overwhelming response of models willing to shoot at that rate. The good ones won't work for free, but sheesh, they'll jump on $25/hour gigs. I've paid a handful of times for models, and I've made my money back easily with leads from those models to friends that want shoots.

Looking at your website, you know how to shoot. You've got great images with great lighting; however, most of the people shots I see on your website look like pictures for grandma, (smiling and looking at camera). Again, a lot of models will see your style and pass.

http://RyanLunaPhotogr​aphy.com (external link)
IG: @01ryanluna10 (external link)

paintedlotus
337 posts
Joined May 2008
Seattle, WA
Aug 03, 2017 18:54 |  #3

^that. You have some decent technical skill, but the style seems a bit dated, so many models probably wouldn't be interested except for pay. I mean sure, most people would "rather not pay" but you have to start somewhere, right? :)

Hiring a pro really is a good investment if you're serious about improving your portfolio and doing more model work (hopefully as unpaid tests down the road). They look better in front of the camera because they know how to move their bodies and faces for good angles, which in turn teaches you a lot about direction with posing; when money is involved, people are most of the time FAR more motivated to actually show up; they can almost always do their own hair and makeup so you don't have to hire extra people for that; they often have a decent selection of wardrobe; and ultimately they just make you look like a better photographer.

That said, please note that there is a huge difference between hiring a professional model with a good portfolio, and paying some random hot girl with barely any experience.... a HUGE difference.

Ultimately in order to work with models without having to pay them you need to get your portfolio to a place where a model (or agency) believes you have something of value to offer their book. Take a look at the boards of model agencies and try to do some work like what you see there. A lot (but not all) is natural light, boosted or lowered contrast, good connection with the camera, and neutral but not bitchy facial expressions highlighting a model's natural beauty.

Also, keep going with the friends & family angle. Hope this helps.

5D Mk IV, 6D, Gripped 5Dc, 24-70 f/2.8L ii, 135L, 17-40L, Magic Drainpipe (80-200 f/2.8L), 100mm macro, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, slightly melted Einstein, a few Elinchrom strobes, Mola Setti (white) with grid, PCB beauty dish (old style) with grid, Elinchrom beauty dish (tiny) with grid, Photek Softlighter ii 60", Rice Bowl 90cm, Rice Bowl OMG HUGE, soft silver PLM, a few umbrellas, 4-foot Octobank, Canon 430EX II, a couple ancient speedlights, bad attitude, etc
Website (external link)

StanNJ1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
Aug 04, 2017 07:11 |  #4

01Ryan10 wrote in post #18418655 (external link)
Looking at your website, you know how to shoot. You've got great images with great lighting; however, most of the people shots I see on your website look like pictures for grandma, (smiling and looking at camera). Again, a lot of models will see your style and pass.

I appreciate your candidness and unfortunately I have to agree with you. This is why I need to shoot more.

paintedlotus wrote in post #18418675 (external link)
You have some decent technical skill, but the style seems a bit dated, so many models probably wouldn't be interested except for pay.
Hiring a pro really is a good investment if you're serious about improving your portfolio and doing more model work (hopefully as unpaid tests down the road). They look better in front of the camera because they know how to move their bodies and faces for good angles, which in turn teaches you a lot about direction with posing; when money is involved, people are most of the time FAR more motivated to actually show up; they can almost always do their own hair and makeup so you don't have to hire extra people for that; they often have a decent selection of wardrobe; and ultimately they just make you look like a better photographer.

That said, please note that there is a huge difference between hiring a professional model with a good portfolio, and paying some random hot girl with barely any experience.... a HUGE difference.

Ultimately in order to work with models without having to pay them you need to get your portfolio to a place where a model (or agency) believes you have something of value to offer their book. Take a look at the boards of model agencies and try to do some work like what you see there. A lot (but not all) is natural light, boosted or lowered contrast, good connection with the camera, and neutral but not bitchy facial expressions highlighting a model's natural beauty.

Also, keep going with the friends & family angle. Hope this helps.

Some great advice you offered, thank you. And I checked out your work. Very impressive!

1DX, ID MKIII, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 16-35 2.8L, 100 macro, 600EX-RTs, ST-E3-RT, Einsteins, Kacey Beauty Dish with a cracked grid, yada yada
www.stansphotos.comexternal link
www.Facebook.com/LikeS​tansPhotosexternal link

991 views & 1 like for this thread
Where do you get your models?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.