Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 03 Nov 2016 (Thursday) 15:18
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Struggling on a mirrorless camera.. Which one?

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Post has been edited 5 months ago by AlanU.
Apr 25, 2017 02:55 |  #196

bobbyz wrote in post #18337424 (external link)
Didn't mean it that way but if you read some comments by some folks it is mainly if you don't shoot FF you basically don't know what you doing. It is always DoF and 6400+ ISO.

I think this day and age things have changed drastically. Back in the day not long ago it was a battle of Nikon shooters vs Canon shooters. Now the photography world discusses Mirrorless vs DSLR.

Just think how much crop sensors have changed!!! If you shot with a 40D or 50D and compare it to an 80D there's a big change in how the newer sensor puts "meat on the bones" with more rich looking files with more tonal depth. Older gen crop sensors appeared more flatter in comparison. Now Fuji and Sony are hitting the streets with great Mirrorless bodies that are almost as good in AF of a DSLR.

Seems more people are getting more "educated" and they know what they want in their gear. Now that crop sensor image quality is so good these days the "jump" for full frame isn't anything to brag about compared to many years ago.

Today I took my X-T2 out with a large crew of preschoolers to a class field trip. The image quality was truly fantastic shooting with the 10-24mm UWA and 16mm f/1.4. I'm challenging myself to see if I can use the fuji as a primary system. I absolutely find the fuji files to be extremely easy on the eyes and pleasant. Rich lush files great for viewing on an IPS panel screen or print!!! I will have to say the video capabilities of the fuji non graded is remarkable.

One thing I would say is that I still feel I can have great "3d pop" to the image shooting full frame with an f/2.8 zoom without throwing on primes. I guess my point is that there is some advantages of greater versatility in a fast zoom lens on a full frame. I cannot justify purchasing a $5k CDN Canon 5dmk4 but that camera would provide the full frame DOF and 12800+ ISO would provide extremely clean images effortlessly for incredibly versatility. Throwing on a 24-70L f/2.8 MK2 on a full frame still shocks me in how razor sharp and pop a zoom lens can provide. Some people may not ever need high iso performance but having a Camera capable of extremely clean images and shallower dof is a nice bonus for some users demanding that type of performance. Everyone's needs is different....

I'm not a sony shooter but I'm extremely curious if Sony mirrorless have any issues locking on AF in a dark venue like a dance floor during a reception. Fuji has still not met my needs in locking AF in low light. Since I'm a Canon shooter I've never ever questioned my 5dmk2 or 5dmk3 in locking AF in darkness while having a Canon external flash on shoe. So far with my Fuji with EF-X500 I certainly can say the fuji is not even up to my standards for that type of low light shooting situation. Even during casual outings I've found the red indication "NO AF" which I miss shots. I've always locked on virtually anything in almost pitch darkness while using focus assist on my Canon flash and canon bodies.

This is not disrespecting Fuji. Everyone has different shooting methods and needs/wants. I'm enjoying the fuji world for a high percentage of my shooting but I'm also fully benefiting keeping my heavier Canon bodies too.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

328iGuy
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2004
Ottawa | Ontario
Post has been edited 5 months ago by 328iGuy.
Apr 28, 2017 09:43 |  #197

I made the switch a few months ago from Canon 5D3 + L Glass to all Fuji X-T2 and glass and I haven't looked back yet.

Just an example, low light concert shooting with the X-T2 + 50-140 last weekend:

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2906/33378914773_da080490b0_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/SRzE​sz] (external link)"Said Nobody Ever" (external link) by Matthew Perry (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2854/33431715023_8990cfd5a3_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/SWfh​8H] (external link)Old Dominion (external link) by Matthew Perry (external link), on Flickr

Canon 5D3 | 16-35L III | 24-70L II | 70-200LII

Canon-Chas
Joined Jan 2010
Scotland
Aug 05, 2017 07:42 |  #198

I'm thinking about the Panasonic GH5 to use with Canon prime lenses+metabones speedbooster, unless Canon have a silent shutter option coming soon ?

The sole reason is for those difficult wildlife shots where a silent shutter is needed.

Has anyone tried or considered this option?

Thanks

Chas
http://www.wildfeather​s.co.ukexternal link

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Aug 05, 2017 13:11 |  #199

Canon-Chas wrote in post #18419746 (external link)
I'm thinking about the Panasonic GH5 to use with Canon prime lenses+metabones speedbooster, unless Canon have a silent shutter option coming soon ?

The sole reason is for those difficult wildlife shots where a silent shutter is needed.

Has anyone tried or considered this option?

Thanks

Seems the budget minded wildlife photographer is appreciating M43 system due to 2x crop factor with native M43 lenses. Most guys I know cannot go that route and pay the $$$$$$$ (Nikon & Canon shooters) with super long telephotos.

My concern for you is tracking with a speedbooster on a non native system. I'm no expert in that department......

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

16,300 views & 95 likes for this thread
Struggling on a mirrorless camera.. Which one?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.