Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 20 Oct 2011 (Thursday) 11:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Milkyway nightscapes

Inspeqtor
Chuckmeister? Really people??
Joined Mar 2008
Elkhart, Indiana
Aug 04, 2017 23:40 |  #3811

pdxbenedetti wrote in post #18419598 (external link)
I think a photograph can be both natural and artful, the colors don't have to be the dull/bland orange without contrast, saturation, or interesting and colorful aspects, you can get emotional and awe-drawing responses from someone by using a very natural color balance....and at the same time know that you are presenting an image that is as accurate as we can make it to be. I've had several conversations with Roger, I've even gone the rounds with him over processing of DSO/pure astrophotography images (I disagree with his post-processing philosophy when it comes to DSO editing), but I agree with him regarding widefield/nightscape color balance. I posted this shot earlier in this thread, it's one I took over Memorial Day weekend when the surprise aurora reached quite far south (here in the Northern Hemisphere), it's processed with a natural color balance so you can appreciate what are the accurate aspects of the night sky and it was shot with an unmodified camera. The aurora adds some beautiful pinks/oranges/yellows/​purples to the left, you can clearly see the h-alpha signal from the North America nebula and Sadr Region in the middle/left of the sky (and if you look close you can even see the Eastern and Western Veil nebula), you can see the pinks of the Eagle, Omega, and Lagoon Nebula, the nice blues and yellows in the Rho Ophiuchi Complex, and obviously the bright banded red and green airglow throughout.

NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'
Land of the Yankee Fork (external link) by Eric (external link), on Flickr

The way I look at it is the vast majority of the world's population lives in urban centers where it is impossible to see the Milky Way, so when people happen upon (or seek out) shots of the Milky Way and the night sky they should be presented an image that is accurate as possible. You mention NASA using false colored images, this is done for scientific means so as to analyze data in a way that can maximize results (fwiw I'm a stem cell researcher and I have to analyze a ton of data from experiments), in the case of IR or UV or microwave or X-ray they have to assign colors because those emissions fall outside the visible spectrum of light, without assigning a color the data is meaningless because we can't put it in a visual format that can be analyzed with our own eyes. But cameras don't deal with that issue (assuming you're not shooting in IR), we deal with the visible light spectrum when imaging with a DSLR.

As you can see the image is not showing......

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II *** iOptron 3302W Star Tracker

sponsored links
pdxbenedetti
Joined Jul 2015
Salt Lake City, United States
Aug 05, 2017 00:06 as a reply to Inspeqtor's post |  #3812

Weird, what about now? I can see the image in my original post, but not in your quote.

flickr (external link)
SmugMug (external link)
Facebook (external link)

rosh4u
44 posts
Joined Jun 2017
Surat, India
Aug 05, 2017 00:25 as a reply to post 13279711 |  #3813

How did you manage to take the first shot? I mean to say what are the changes which you applied as the picture is very nicely taken.

Inspeqtor
Chuckmeister? Really people??
Joined Mar 2008
Elkhart, Indiana
Aug 05, 2017 02:40 |  #3814

pdxbenedetti wrote in post #18419618 (external link)
Weird, what about now? I can see the image in my original post, but not in your quote.

Yes I do see it now in YOUR original post... but since I quoted your bad post I suspect is the reason it is still that way in my post.

I was able to click on your link when I wrote my post to you so I knew the photo was there, just somehow not showing up in the forum.

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II *** iOptron 3302W Star Tracker

davidfarina
Goldmember
Joined May 2013
Aug 05, 2017 12:03 |  #3815

rezcar wrote in post #18419359 (external link)
Death Valley
QUOTED IMAGE
]

Holy maccaroni. Amazing shot! I really like how the stone and the trail on the ground to the stone leads the view to the horizon where the milky way is. Great composition. The trail looks like the stone is a asteroid that left his marks while crashing. I really love it!

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

rezcar
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
Aug 05, 2017 19:04 |  #3816

davidfarina wrote in post #18419901 (external link)
Holy maccaroni. Amazing shot! I really like how the stone and the trail on the ground to the stone leads the view to the horizon where the milky way is. Great composition. The trail looks like the stone is a asteroid that left his marks while crashing. I really love it!

Thanks! There were only 5 or 6 to choose from where I was, and I liked the curved track as well.

Fotostream
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/59148177@N06/ (external link)
#re240zcar
"Image quality is not the product of a machine, but of the person who directs the machine, and there are no limits to imagination and expression." - Ansel Adams

01Ryan10
Joined Aug 2012
OC, California
Aug 06, 2017 18:50 |  #3817

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4335/35578625324_da14693ce7_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/WcXK​Ly] (external link)Shaver Lake Milky Way (external link) by Ryan Luna (external link), on Flickr

http://RyanLunaPhotogr​aphy.com (external link)
IG: @01ryanluna10 (external link)

rezcar
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
Aug 07, 2017 00:17 |  #3818

IMAGE: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/ukhlo0owd3eijsy/DSC02998-Edit2s.jpg?dl=0

Fotostream
#re240zcar
"Image quality is not the product of a machine, but of the person who directs the machine, and there are no limits to imagination and expression." - Ansel Adams

davidfarina
Goldmember
Joined May 2013
Aug 07, 2017 11:05 |  #3819

rezcar wrote in post #18420195 (external link)
Thanks! There were only 5 or 6 to choose from where I was, and I liked the curved track as well.

Would be interesting to know how the tracks and the stone were formed

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
Joined Jul 2013
Aug 07, 2017 13:24 |  #3820

rezcar wrote in post #18419359 (external link)
Death Valley
QUOTED IMAGE
]

Outstanding.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

MedicineMan4040
Joined Jul 2013
Aug 07, 2017 13:24 |  #3821

pdxbenedetti wrote in post #18419598 (external link)
I think a photograph can be both natural and artful, the colors don't have to be the dull/bland orange without contrast, saturation, or interesting and colorful aspects, you can get emotional and awe-drawing responses from someone by using a very natural color balance....and at the same time know that you are presenting an image that is as accurate as we can make it to be. I've had several conversations with Roger, I've even gone the rounds with him over processing of DSO/pure astrophotography images (I disagree with his post-processing philosophy when it comes to DSO editing), but I agree with him regarding widefield/nightscape color balance. I posted this shot earlier in this thread, it's one I took over Memorial Day weekend when the surprise aurora reached quite far south (here in the Northern Hemisphere), it's processed with a natural color balance so you can appreciate what are the accurate aspects of the night sky and it was shot with an unmodified camera. The aurora adds some beautiful pinks/oranges/yellows/​purples to the left, you can clearly see the h-alpha signal from the North America nebula and Sadr Region in the middle/left of the sky (and if you look close you can even see the Eastern and Western Veil nebula), you can see the pinks of the Eagle, Omega, and Lagoon Nebula, the nice blues and yellows in the Rho Ophiuchi Complex, and obviously the bright banded red and green airglow throughout.

QUOTED IMAGE

(link for higher resolution: https://flic.kr/p/V3HY​qu (external link))

The way I look at it is the vast majority of the world's population lives in urban centers where it is impossible to see the Milky Way, so when people happen upon (or seek out) shots of the Milky Way and the night sky they should be presented an image that is accurate as possible. You mention NASA using false colored images, this is done for scientific means so as to analyze data in a way that can maximize results (fwiw I'm a stem cell researcher and I have to analyze a ton of data from experiments), in the case of IR or UV or microwave or X-ray they have to assign colors because those emissions fall outside the visible spectrum of light, without assigning a color the data is meaningless because we can't put it in a visual format that can be analyzed with our own eyes. But cameras don't deal with that issue (assuming you're not shooting in IR), we deal with the visible light spectrum when imaging with a DSLR.

Absolutely stunning.

flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
Joined Jul 2013
Aug 07, 2017 13:25 |  #3822

rezcar wrote in post #18420978 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

Never seen a better foreground object!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flickr (external link)

rezcar
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
Aug 07, 2017 17:10 |  #3823

davidfarina wrote in post #18421243 (external link)
Would be interesting to know how the tracks and the stone were formed

The theory is ice and wind, you would have to look it up for a better explanation than mine, lol. Basically the rocks mine so far before the weather changes and they're stuck until the next time.

Then there's the id-E-ots who make fake tracks and move the rocks around. So I can't say for sure what I shot was real or not.

Fotostream
#re240zcar

rezcar
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
Aug 07, 2017 17:12 |  #3824

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18421401 (external link)
Never seen a better foreground object!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your comments! I've always been intrigued by mysterious stuff, as u can see.

Fotostream
#re240zcar

S.R.M.
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Aug 08, 2017 17:35 |  #3825

nardes wrote in post #18414843 (external link)
Sunrise at Rainbow Beach, with the Pleiades, Venus and Orion dominating the skies.

Cheers

Dennis
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by nardes in
./showthread.php?p=184​14843&i=i16287994
forum: Astronomy & Celestial

Nice work Dennis! A typical winter morning in SEQ :-)

Stephen
---------------
6D; EF 16-35 f/4L IS USM; EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM; EF 35mm f/2; EF 50mm f/1.8 II; Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro; EF 70-200 f/4L USM; Samyang 14mm f/2.8

flickr (external link) / flickriver (external link)

sponsored links

728,652 views & 3818 likes for this thread
Milkyway nightscapes
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.