Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 25 Jun 2017 (Sunday) 11:34
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

July Wedding - what 3 lenses of mine?

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
12,874 posts
Gallery: 77 photos
Joined Jul 2009
Southern Canada
Jun 25, 2017 11:34 |  #1

Hello Gang - hopefully suggestions won't be all over the board :-P but I'm considering 3 lenses to bring to my best friend's wedding, so in addition to my two bodies and 320Ex, which lenses to bring?

7Dmk II, 70D,

55-250 IS STM, 15-85 IS, 18-135 STM, 50 STM, 35 (YN) f/2, 24 STM

Will immaculens.com (external link) gear
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

sponsored links
Silver-Halide
Joined Jan 2015
Post has been edited 4 months ago by Silver-Halide.
Jun 25, 2017 13:17 |  #2

Are you the designated photographer? If not I'd leave it all at home, let the pro do his/her job, and not be 'that guy.'

If you are the hired help, I'd bring the 24,50, and 18-135, given only three choices.

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

Monkey ­ moss
906 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Bristol, England
Jun 25, 2017 13:53 |  #3

Hi Will,

If I was a guest at my best mates wedding, I would probably take the 15-85, 50, and the flash to keep it simple. Also, i would leave the second body in the car/room. Actually thinking about it, last wedding I was a guest at I didn't even take the flash to try and be a bit more discreet.

Whatever you take, make sure you enjoy and don't get too carried away with the photos ;-)a

Jon :cool::oops::D:cry::confused::(:lol:
Gear: 5Diii, 16-35 f4, 24-70 f2.8 ii, 70-300L, 35mm f2 IS, 85mm 1.8
My Flickr (external link)

Monkey ­ moss
906 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Bristol, England
Jun 25, 2017 14:00 |  #4

One further comment on the flash, if I get the chance now before attending a wedding as a guest, I try and ask the couple if the official photog is staying to cover the first dance. If they are then i don't bother with the flash, if they aren't I take the flash and get ready for 5 minutes of duty!

Immaculens
THREAD ­ STARTER
creeped by the TF....
12,874 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Southern Canada
Jun 25, 2017 14:48 |  #5

I am the photographer.

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
Joined Apr 2014
Psych Ward, East Wing, USA
Jun 25, 2017 16:37 |  #6

Definitely take your fast glass. If I were taking only 2 lenses they'd be the 24 and 50. Adding a third, it would probably the 18-135.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

Monkey ­ moss
906 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Bristol, England
Jun 25, 2017 17:44 |  #7

In that case I'd say 24, 50 and 15-85. Take the others along as back up.

I personally would want something wider than 18mm if I was the main wedding photog.

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
Joined Apr 2014
Psych Ward, East Wing, USA
Jun 25, 2017 17:55 |  #8

Does anyone else notice no one's picking that wacky YN 35? ;-)a. Immaculens, how's the AF on that in dim light?

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

Immaculens
THREAD ­ STARTER
creeped by the TF....
12,874 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Southern Canada
Jun 25, 2017 18:25 |  #9

PineBomb wrote in post #18386853 (external link)
Does anyone else notice no one's picking that wacky YN 35? ;-)a. Immaculens, how's the AF on that in dim light?

:-P I was going to comment that the only consensus is to "not" bring the YN 35  :p :twisted: :rolleyes:

Yeah I bought it with low expectations and I call it my $100 Fisher Price toy :-P

So with those low expectations established - I am quite impressed with it actually :lol:

I mean sure, the AF sounds like the Nifty-Fifty with a bronchial infection and good luck in low light.... but the AF does hit its mark.... ;-)a

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Jun 25, 2017 19:26 |  #10

Will, I'm so glad I wasn't asked to be "the" photographer. I wish you well. I'd take everything but the 35 as well. I take it you'll be driving, not flying? I have noticed there seem to be two groups of wedding photographers here: those who like primes and those who like zooms. I think I'd be one of the zoom guys. I don't walk as fast as I once did. ;)

I'm attending my best friends wedding in Sept. They have a professional photographer (the bride's brother) so I'm going to take hmmmm photos from a distance. I'll try to get the kids doing the strange things, people with odd expressions, etc.

I will definitely stay out of the pro's way.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Jun 25, 2017 19:35 |  #11

Both bodies.

One with the 15-85.

One with the 50 STM.

Keep it simple. No swapping of equipment.

If you have an ETTL capable flash, bring it.

Go through the ceremony steps and sequence before actually doing it.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

cubatahavana
I still don't see it
Joined Jan 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by cubatahavana. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 07, 2017 03:54 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #12

My first ever wedding was my sister's. I had a 550D + 15-85 + 30 (sigma) + 430EXII
I think I did an ok job. The help from the flash was priceless. I'd say bump the ISO a bit. I'm sure it is quite better than my old 550. I've seen your photos in the 70D forum and I am confident that you will do a good job.

The advice of the two bodies is pretty solid. Easier to swap flash units than lenses. Bring sd card backup too. From the lenses, I'd go with 15-85, 50 mm for sure. Then, depending on the venue, 24 or the 55-250. If it is outdoors with good light, the zoom could come handy

My website (external link)
My instagram (external link)

sponsored links

1,190 views & 6 likes for this thread
July Wedding - what 3 lenses of mine?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.