Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 22 Oct 2016 (Saturday) 17:24
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Want a small camera.

alex66
182 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Oct 22, 2016 17:24 |  #1

My Ricoh GX100 is on the way out, a power issue causes it to drain batteries after 20 or so shots. So I am looking for something to replace it with, it does not have to be as small about the size of the Olympus EPL bodies with a pancake lens would be fine. This is what I have considered; Canon M1 with 22mm, Nikon J4 or 5 with 10mm, Panasonic GM5 with 17 2.8 Oly lens plus perhaps the small zoom, Sony RX100 mk3 and finally the Nikon Coolpix 1. I like the idea of a 35mm equivalent I find it a great walk around after a 50mm but I have a 55mm on the A7 so might as well have the other one that works for me. The Canon's AF speed worries me though 99% of stuff I take is static, the Sony means I have to live permanently with a zoom and I do prefer a prime but it is a nice nippy little camera. The Nikons being 28mm equivalents are not as preferred but I can work with it ok, the panasonic 12-32 is a nice zoom and their 14mm is a great lens the Oly 17 2.8 is OK not bad but not as sharp as the Canon 22mm. An eye level finder is vastly preferred but am willing to give it up for other advantages mostly good image quality (RAW) and reasonable AF. I tend to walk about at f8 and leave the camera in aperture priority adjusting compensation when needed.
So if anyone has experience of these especially having used 2 or more I would like to know what are the good and bad points and have I missed any out, ideally I want to keep it bellow £350 but can stretch a bit for something that will work better.

Stuff
Feed Your Head

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Oct 22, 2016 19:24 |  #2

I would not typically comment on something like this as I am unfamiliar with what you have listed, but last weekend I broke out my SL1 and was reminded of how small and handy it is. I usually just use it with my 24-105 for video, or 70-200 if I need more reach, but I put the kit lens on for my 8 year old boys to use. I really need to grab the pancake lenses and use it much more often.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by Archibald.
Oct 22, 2016 19:42 |  #3

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18164103 (external link)
I would not typically comment on something like this as I am unfamiliar with what you have listed, but last weekend I broke out my SL1 and was reminded of how small and handy it is. I usually just use it with my 24-105 for video, or 70-200 if I need more reach, but I put the kit lens on for my 8 year old boys to use. I really need to grab the pancake lenses and use it much more often.

There are so many small models now, and the technology is so advanced, you can't go far wrong.

But I also have an SL1 and would favor it. It's not necessarily because it's the best, but because it is in a mainstream niche. I mean, it's a Canon APS-C DSLR, probably the most popular DSLR format, and as such taps into an amazing retinue of lenses and other accessories. It is cheap. And it takes amazing photos.

Depending on your situation, this might not mean much to you. In that case, you could consider a multitude of compact and mirrorless models, a jungle of technology so vast I am not qualified to comment further.

Edit: I want to add, I also have a Sony RX100, very compact and capable, chosen by Time as one of the best inventions of the year. It takes amazing photos, but I don't like the camera. Sorry, RX100 fans, but I find it too complicated to get full use out of it. The auto modes don't correspond very well to the Canon auto modes. The PASM settings also don't. Focus doesn't work as expected. Macro is hopeless with this camera. Bounce flash is cute but the pics are usually overexposed. Maybe I don't understand the camera very well - but I bought and read the book, and still can't figure it out. The newer iterations might be better, as well as the Fujis and Panasonics and so on, but by comparison I find my SL1 a dream to use.

Hasselblad 500 C/M with 80mm/2.8 Zeiss Planar (trying to sell it); Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

algold
538 posts
Joined Dec 2006
Israel
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by algold. 2 edits done in total.
Oct 25, 2016 13:25 |  #4

If this matters, I have EOS-M, EOS-M3, Olympus OM-D E-M10 II and Canon 100D/SL1.
The AF speed of the EOS-M isn't that bad, but M3 is faster. The new M10 is somewhere in between. 22/2 is nice, small and sharp, but its AF is quite slow, 18-55STM zoom focuses faster on the same bodies.
With your budget you can buy EOS-M10 new with 22/2 pancake:
http://www.jessops.com ...n%20Black-97416/Show.html (external link)

http://www.jessops.com ...0f2%20STM-86329/Show.html (external link)

or you can pick up a used EOS-M in excellent condition for £119:
https://www.mpb.com ...s/canon-eos-m/sku-630901/ (external link)

Panasonic GM5 is a very nice little camera, but it doesn't have in-body stab, so imho a used Olympus E-PL7 or E-P5 body makes more sense. Oly 17/2.8 pancake is a good lens, especially stopped down a bit, but I like Pana 20/1.7 better.

If you can find Panasonic LX100 for a good price, it might be a very good little camera for you with its build-in bright F/1.7-2.8 zoom (24-75mm equivalent) and a nice high-res EVF.

Canon EOS-M series is nice and cute and the image quality is very good, but Olympus and Panasonic cameras are on par IQ wise and faster with a much better lens selection

100D, 40D, 10-18 IS STM, 18-135 IS STM, Sigma 30/1.4, 40/2.8 STM, 60/2.8 macro, MP-E 65/2.8, 85/1.8, 70-200/4 L, 270EX, 430EX, MR-14ex, Metz 58 AF-1
EOS-M3 22/2, 18-55 is stm

TMaG82
923 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Oct 26, 2016 08:57 |  #5

If being used as a walkaround and to compliment a main system camera, I would recommend the Ricoh GR. Very lightweight, can fit almost anywhere. Sharp lens, useability is top notch. You can probably find a used one for around your asking price. For a small walk around camera I would recommend going with a fixed lens as opposed to a system camera. Once you open that can of worms you might find yourself replicating existing glass that your main camera has.

For example say your main camera is a 5D with 24-70 and 70-200. You might get yourself a small m4/3 camera or even Fuji. You'll get yourself a small zoom. Not being satisfied with the low light performance you'll get a prime. Then you might want more reach and you'll get yourself a telephoto zoom. Pretty soon you'll have overlapping lenses with different systems. You might take the small camera out and wish to yourself 'Darn I wish I took my 5D' or 'I wonder what this image would've looked like if I took it with my 70-200 and not my 55-200 Fuji lens'. Either that or get yourself a camera that you can adapt your existing glass. But for simplicity sake I say get either a small fixed lens camera like the Ricoh GR, the Fuji X70, or Coolpix A or a small P&S like the RX100 series.

Current Gear: Nadda

alex66
THREAD ­ STARTER
182 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Feb 01, 2017 00:26 |  #6

I bought an M with the 22mm, got it for a can't refuse price with the zoom I will sell on. To be fair the AF seems perfectly fine, it is way faster than a lot of older generation cameras that I have had, perfectly workable with. I also picked up a Nikon V1 with the 10mm, again I could not refuse. I don't use lenses beyond 100mm except for rare occasions and hardly use zooms so the pair work well for the use I have for them.

Stuff
Feed Your Head

photoguy407
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Aug 07, 2017 16:55 |  #7

canon g7x great camera

sponsored links

2,077 views & 3 likes for this thread
Want a small camera.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.