Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 04 Aug 2017 (Friday) 18:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Moving to medium format

Camofelix
Joined Apr 2014
Aug 04, 2017 18:50 |  #1

Hi everyone, I'm currently in the process to moving over to a Hasselblad medium format tethered studio set up. I previously worked with canon DSLRs tethered to Lightroom for a few years before moving to capture one a year or so ago. With moving to Hasselblad I'm having to give up on Capture one for any reasonable workflow. Has anyone else made a similar move, from say 35mm to Phase one, Mamiya Leaf, pentax or Hassy?

any tips for getting up to a reasonably fast workflow? I realize that MF will be slowing me down considerably, but looking to minimize the learning curve and ramp up time. Any and all help is appreciated!

-Felix

Gear: Some glass, some metal and some plastic.
Flickr : https://secure.flickr.​com/photos/125873414@N​06/sets/ (external link)
Greetings from Canada!

sponsored links
CH_Devin
Joined Sep 2009
San Francisco, CA
Aug 06, 2017 07:16 |  #2

I haven't shot tethered, but the seller included two extra long firewires for the H5D-50c. For the H6D, it's a USB3 port, so I've heard it is faster.

I've heard a lot of medium format shooters are dedicated tethered shooters, so I would imagine it would have a positive effect on workflow.

For me, it is easy enough to shoot and export the photos from the memory card onto the computer with a card reader.

35-90mm. 80mm.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,020 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Wilt.
Aug 06, 2017 09:37 |  #3

As a user of Lightroom, and as the person who recently conducted shooting tests with Canon vs. Hassy and posted on POTN (recorded in RAW and adjusted to equalize the files for color balance and exposure), I can state with absolute certainty that there IS NO WORKFLOW fundamental difference in 24x36mm vs. medium format digital files when using LR.

I did note that Hassy images need a very different WB numerical setting to obtain the same neutral WB as obtained with Canon. But setting preset settings for Hassy files, to accomodate what might be an 'offset WB' for sunlight vs shade vs. incandescent lighting is easy enough and automatically applied (or very quickly manually selected and applied to groups of photos all at once) .

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
9,961 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Aug 08, 2017 12:38 |  #4

Wilt wrote in post #18420477 (external link)
As a user of Lightroom, and as the person who recently conducted shooting tests with Canon vs. Hassy and posted on POTN (recorded in RAW and adjusted to equalize the files for color balance and exposure), I can state with absolute certainty that there IS NO WORKFLOW fundamental difference in 24x36mm vs. medium format digital files when using LR.

I did note that Hassy images need a very different WB numerical setting to obtain the same neutral WB as obtained with Canon. But setting preset settings for Hassy files, to accomodate what might be an 'offset WB' for sunlight vs shade vs. incandescent lighting is easy enough and automatically applied (or very quickly manually selected and applied to groups of photos all at once) .

Yeah..raw is raw. You may have a different workflow if you are changing your style. FYI, Capture One IS designed for medium format system tethered.... Is the best raw editor so far, period.

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

Camofelix
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2014
Aug 08, 2017 12:58 as a reply to TooManyShots's post |  #5

On the capture one point, it only supports MFD cameras owned by phase, so phase and mamiyaleaf

Gear: Some glass, some metal and some plastic.
Flickr : https://secure.flickr.​com/photos/125873414@N​06/sets/ (external link)
Greetings from Canada!

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
9,961 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Aug 08, 2017 13:08 |  #6

Camofelix wrote in post #18422387 (external link)
On the capture one point, it only supports MFD cameras owned by phase, so phase and mamiyaleaf

Ooops....yeah, you are right.

Facebookexternal link

Wilt
39,020 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Wilt.
Aug 08, 2017 13:09 |  #7

I use LR v5.7 for support of my 7DII, and had no difficulties in dealing with Hasselblad H5D-50 files taken by CH_Devin on his camera.

Camofelix wrote in post #18422387 (external link)

As Capture One Pro 10 supports files from more than 400 cameras, I presume you are referring to TETHERED operation supporting MFD cameras owned by phase, so phase and mamiya/leaf?!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
9,961 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Aug 08, 2017 13:47 |  #8

Wilt wrote in post #18422406 (external link)
I use LR v5.7 for support of my 7DII, and had no difficulties in dealing with Hasselblad H5D-50 files taken by CH_Devin on his camera.

As Capture One Pro 10 supports files from more than 400 cameras, I presume you are referring to TETHERED operation supporting MFD cameras owned by phase, so phase and mamiya/leaf?!

I did a brief google search, is the entire raw file taken by the Hasselblad system. People talked about converting to DNG files and to use Capture One instead. Not sure if it work or if you should even go that route....

Facebookexternal link

Wilt
39,020 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 08, 2017 13:56 as a reply to TooManyShots's post |  #9

Your post not entirely intelligible as worded...particularly first sentence! Procedurally what I did was...

1. I copied the .3FR files from Hassy H5D via its CF memory to my laptop during the shooting session, then on my desktop PC I imported all images into LR.
  2. In the Library function I had the Hassy shot side by side on the Library screen next to the .CR2 files from 7DII and from 5D(c), after first editing in Develop module to equalize exposure and WB across the three cameras,
  3. and then I took a screen shot of the three images on the Library page (without export of JPG versions of the three), which is the image that posted on POTN.

sponsored links

663 views & 3 likes for this thread
Moving to medium format
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.