Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 03 Aug 2017 (Thursday) 23:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

lenses for Astrophotography advice please

bvalente
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 07, 2017 16:22 |  #16

ctvu wrote in post #18420278 (external link)
Hi Martin,
Your post really opens my eyes, deep information with illustrated WOW photos. Really appreciated your time and helpful information.
you mentioned that means you can track more than 2 mins (120 seconds) according to my research we could track 2 mins with roughly polar alignment, since I am living in South Hemisphere, not too sure we can do a proper polar alignment.
The last photo is really inspiring, definitely I shall dive in the deep rabbit hole and my bank account if my path is DSO.
Cheers

There are different alignment procedures for southern hemisphere, and both trackers support that.

B

Brian
brianvalentephotograph​y.com

sponsored links
bvalente
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 07, 2017 16:25 |  #17

ctvu wrote in post #18418813 (external link)
Hi All,
Hope I post right forum, if not admin please remove or move it.
I am looking for a lens for my Sony A7R II, I have done a lot of homework as well as read blogs (Ian Norman - Lonely Speck).
what I am thinking of is:
Zeiss Batis 18mm
Samyang/Rokinon 14mm, 24mm.
Samyang 14mm f2.4
or what else would you suggest?

Cheers,

i own those all as well

Zeiss Batis 18mm 2.8 is steller
Samyang/Rokinon 14mm - well, it's a great deal, but imho they have terrible problems with coma and poor QA. all the copies i've tried (probably 6) have uneven focus. People who swear by them must have some unbelievable copy of the lens, or a different expectation. I look at my frames 100% pixel size. Everything on the Internet at 33% looks great lol

Samyang 14mm 2.4 - no direct experience, but looking at the samples, doesn't seem much better for a lot more $

Sigma 14mm 1.8 is stellar - stopped down to 2.8 it is a better performer than all the above, but of course you pay for it.

Irix has some nice 15mm 2.5 lenses as well - some coma, but good performer for the price

B

Brian
brianvalentephotograph​y.com

ctvu
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Apr 2014
Aug 07, 2017 16:56 as a reply to post 18421591 |  #18

Thank you Brian, that is exactly I have been searching, I really need feedbacks from end-user like you.
Money wise they are very similar (if you add counter weight and wedge on SA). How about setup especially in dark, portable, etc
Cheers

ctvu
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Apr 2014
Aug 07, 2017 17:10 as a reply to bvalente's post |  #19

Thanks Brian again :). I was thinking of Batis 18mm, since I do some landscape as well, so it could be handy.

Samyang 14mm 2.4 - no direct experience, but looking at the samples, doesn't seem much better for a lot more $

That is what I thought too.
Cheers

01Ryan10
Joined Aug 2012
OC, California
Post has been edited 2 months ago by 01Ryan10.
Aug 08, 2017 10:44 |  #20

bvalente wrote in post #18421597 (external link)
Samyang/Rokinon 14mm - well, it's a great deal, but imho they have terrible problems with coma and poor QA. all the copies i've tried (probably 6) have uneven focus. People who swear by them must have some unbelievable copy of the lens, or a different expectation. I look at my frames 100% pixel size. Everything on the Internet at 33% looks great lol

B

Yeah...I am one of the lucky ones. I had only one copy, (that I sold), of the 14mm that was perfect corner to corner at 100%. My first Rokinon 24mm copy had blurry issies on 1/3 of the side. My second copy is perfect. No coma, no blur, just perfect.

Here is a picture from my first 24mm copy. You can clearly see blur on the 1/3 left side, especially at the top corner. The rocks are a bit out of focus, because I was on my 4th or 5th beer, and forgot to expose for them at f/8 or something smaller.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4284/35201853010_e9610eb10a_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/VCEG​ub] (external link)Milky Way Core (external link) by Ryan Luna (external link), on Flickr

Here is a picture I took a few weeks ago with my 2nd 24mm copy. It is just an absolute dream.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4335/35578625324_da14693ce7_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/WcXK​Ly] (external link)Shaver Lake Milky Way (external link) by Ryan Luna (external link), on Flickr

http://RyanLunaPhotogr​aphy.com (external link)
IG: @01ryanluna10 (external link)

ctvu
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined Apr 2014
Aug 08, 2017 15:13 |  #21

01Ryan10 wrote in post #18422275 (external link)
Yeah...I am one of the lucky ones. I had only one copy, (that I sold), of the 14mm that was perfect corner to corner at 100%. My first Rokinon 24mm copy had blurry issies on 1/3 of the side. My second copy is perfect. No coma, no blur, just perfect.

Here is a picture from my first 24mm copy. You can clearly see blur on the 1/3 left side, especially at the top corner. The rocks are a bit out of focus, because I was on my 4th or 5th beer, and forgot to expose for them at f/8 or something smaller.

those are awesome, thanks Ryan..looks like to me you enjoyed beer as much as MK :lol:
cheers

sponsored links

1,172 views & 10 likes for this thread
lenses for Astrophotography advice please
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.