Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 29 Jun 2017 (Thursday) 20:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EOS Rebel SL2

kaitanium
Goldmember
3,864 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Sacramento/San Francisco USA
Aug 08, 2017 15:54 |  #46

Im getting this camera (or another suitable camera) for travel mostly so I dont have to lug around my 5D3. Planning to pickup the 40mm and 24mm pancakes to compliment. I'll see what review I can come up with as the only thing i really care about in this camera choice is size + the ISO performance at 1600 as my OMD (mk1) suckkked bad so my review may be short sighted.

Other cameras in the running are:
Fuji X100T
Canon M6

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,907 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Aug 08, 2017 17:44 |  #47

I have zero reservations about the ISO performance, it will be very good. I loved the SL1, it was so tiny and could fit in my pocket without a lens, or with a pancake lens. Now it comes with other goodies too!

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Aug 08, 2017 19:06 |  #48

I would totally go for the SL2...........but :(

The SL2 unfortunately does not have Micro adjust. This is one feature that will be a deal breaker for me. It's imperative for me to have maximum sharpness wideopen for primes. This is something I can see having a soft image with some of the fast glass I own.

Another reason the SL2 does not have is a dedicated Canon APS-C native prime 16mm f/1.4.

I sure hope there would be consideration for a 24mm FOV fast prime for a Canon crop sensor. This is one thing I really want for my 80D.

Since I shoot both Canon and Fuji I totally love the fuji simply because of the Fuji 16mm f/1.4 prime. It almost seems like a mini fuji system is giving me image quality from a 24L mk1 prime. That is one amazing lens!!! Sure wish Canon would produce a similar 24mm fov fast prime!

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Aug 08, 2017 19:14 |  #49

kaitanium wrote in post #18422539 (external link)
Im getting this camera (or another suitable camera) for travel mostly so I dont have to lug around my 5D3. Planning to pickup the 40mm and 24mm pancakes to compliment. I'll see what review I can come up with as the only thing i really care about in this camera choice is size + the ISO performance at 1600 as my OMD (mk1) suckkked bad so my review may be short sighted.

Other cameras in the running are:
Fuji X100T
Canon M6

Since your open minded about Fuji or Canon M6 I'd really suggest testing a Fuji X-t20 (similar performance to X-t2) for tiny form factor. I feel my X-T2 has better high iso performance than my 80D. I had an OMD E-M5 mk1 and once I got into fuji as my secondary system I dropped the Olympus (entire M43 system) like a hot potato LOL!!!

Beauty of mirrorless is there is no need for Micro adjust. The SL2 not having micro adjust really is a bummer. Mirrorless will always be sharper and very little issues like back/front focus. Just remember nothing is perfect.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

kaitanium
Goldmember
3,864 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by kaitanium. 8 edits done in total.
Aug 09, 2017 00:31 |  #50

Yea I have absolutely no reservations on the capability of Fuji systems. The major drawback being price. I really dont want to drop a grand on another system (or on a camera for that matter). but even with that said, Id totally go all Fuji XT2 for my wedding work but alas, the triggerless wireless flash offerings (or lack thereof?) and lower-light focusing speed have me in want. That would actually be a dream come true actually. A mirrorless compact system for both weddings and my personal travels without doing honking big sony stuff

If the SL2 can hit ISO 1600 to my liking then we have a winner for me and will be just fine for my travel photography

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Aug 09, 2017 01:10 |  #51

kaitanium wrote in post #18422822 (external link)
Yea I have absolutely no reservations on the capability of Fuji systems. The major drawback being price. I really dont want to drop a grand on another system (or on a camera for that matter). but even with that said, Id totally go all Fuji XT2 for my wedding work but alas, the triggerless wireless flash offerings (or lack thereof?) and lower-light focusing speed have me in want. That would actually be a dream come true actually. A mirrorless compact system for both weddings and my personal travels without doing honking big sony stuff

If the SL2 can hit ISO 1600 to my liking then we have a winner for me and will be just fine for my travel photography

I'm probably quite vocal about this stuff but even the X-T2 in low light irritates me when I get hesitating autofocus. Even with a speedlight it'll stop in confusion!!! This is where some Fuji shooters can compensate with manual AF adjustments when that happens. From my experience autofocus will NOT miss those quick spontaneous shots. My fuji just is not my choice of tool for events photography especially when bounced flash or remote flash is concerned.

For low light work with external flash the SL2 would capture anything in a low lit event compared to an X-t2 with EF-X500 flagship fuji flash. This is something I can truly see as far as performance is concerned. However I think for more serious stuff most demanding photogs would appreciate micro adjust AF.

I'll have to say for my secondary system my Fuji has be an absolutely amazing system that is small and capable. Even my limited lens selection I can do a lot with it. Getting so spoiled with this lightweight mirrorless stuff I'm loathing the though of lugging Canon gear around family / casual shooting. Oddly when it's critical shoots a love the heavier Canon gear.

kaitanium
Goldmember
3,864 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by kaitanium. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 09, 2017 10:33 as a reply to AlanU's post |  #52

excellent words! Yea low light focusing is a no thanks for me. If its worse than the Sony A7II then i wont even touch it. That Sony A7II was badddd. Need an onboard flash that can throw a good focus beam (and be a wireless RT type head) assist before ill buy into it.

For travel, a fuji would be a dream. Costwise, its higher though as i mentioned. The canon M or Sl2 is currently my only options to keep the cost around $500.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,608 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 09, 2017 10:56 |  #53

Just FYI, The Fuji flash woes are over with the inclusion into the Godox system. (and it's only new if you needed ETTL, in manual Fuji/Godox was all good already)

But agree on the low light AF, and will add the overall hesitancy vs. a DSLR for some applications can be a real downer.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

kaitanium
Goldmember
3,864 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Aug 09, 2017 11:16 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #54

good to know. Just need the in-camera focusing accuracy/speed to catch up now with the flashes.

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
Joined Jan 2011
Boston, MA
Aug 09, 2017 11:31 |  #55

AlanU wrote in post #18422647 (external link)
I would totally go for the SL2...........but :(

The SL2 unfortunately does not have Micro adjust. This is one feature that will be a deal breaker for me. It's imperative for me to have maximum sharpness wideopen for primes. This is something I can see having a soft image with some of the fast glass I own.

I am with you on that. The experience with the 60D that did not have the MA taught me that. I had a few lenses that required MA, so I could never get pictures sharp enough for my liking until I upgraded to the 70D.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Aug 09, 2017 11:51 |  #56

Lbsimon wrote in post #18423160 (external link)
I am with you on that. The experience with the 60D that did not have the MA taught me that. I had a few lenses that required MA, so I could never get pictures sharp enough for my liking until I upgraded to the 70D.

Looking at your current gear...your in bliss with incredible IQ bodies :)

Ya MA is a serious tool that I cannot exclude from my Canon bodies. This is why it's either a mirrored Canon body with Micro adjust or simply using a mirrorless body :)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Aug 09, 2017 12:01 |  #57

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18423130 (external link)
Just FYI, The Fuji flash woes are over with the inclusion into the Godox system. (and it's only new if you needed ETTL, in manual Fuji/Godox was all good already)

But agree on the low light AF, and will add the overall hesitancy vs. a DSLR for some applications can be a real downer.

Jake, I'm not sure if you shoot events but there is absolutely no comparison between Canon's superior flash system (even 3rd party) over Fuji's current systems.

Just on the weekend I was at a outdoor festival with my Fuji gear. I bumped into a fellow "very enthusiastic"Fuji shooter. He was all decked out with his fuji setup. Talking to him he owns most of Fuji's lens offerings. He asked me if I shoot events with my Fuji. I said I love fuji but I cannot get myself to use it for hired events. He laughed at me and agreed fully. "I use my D5 and D750 and never miss a beat for my events photography". He described his extreme distaste in poor AF in low light with Fuji yet he's a hardcore Fuji lover.....LOL!!!

I think he's like me where I truly rely on AF and expect my Fuji to perform like a mirrored body in AF. I just don't accept the fact that I'd have to use manual focus to land a shot when AF fails me in low light. My only Canon lens that is a pig slow AF lens is my 85Lmk2. Fuji with it's older gen lenses is laggy on AF even with my X-t2.

For the lightweight size of the Canon 80D I think that's a slightly heavier alternative but with micro adjust.

Everybody has personal preference so it's just a toss up of specification and needs/wants.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,608 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Aug 09, 2017 12:50 |  #58

Yes, I just posted about the Fuji system and it's limitations in the last few days after my experiences in Botswana,.

I'll look for the post, but in short,
EVF = Bad, DLSR viewfinder = good.

The lowest end "Rebel" T3 that was my wife's back up was far more capable in the situations we faced than my XT-1.

EDIT, here it is;

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18421716 (external link)
re: Mirrorless for things like wildlife.

I just came back from Botswana, and included my Fuji kit for portability and unobtrusiveness for some applications. As it turned out our guide Dave had also packed a Fuji with the 55-200mm for all of his short work, relying on his Nikon DSLR with 200-500mm for the long lens work.

My XT1 was great for around the camp fire, or scenic shots, in villages etc,. but was of no use at all for wildlife.

Worse, Dave was completely hamstrung trying to get his to manage the job he was asking of it,. My wife's T3 with an 18-135mmSTM handled the job FAR better. In addition to not being able to see what he was shooting, slow EVF response time, and slow shutter reaction, he was also burning through batteries somewhere around 4 or 5 to one of my 7D2 batteries. We had little to no access to power, so this took his Fuji out of action on day 2 - day 5 when I finally jury rigged a way to charge from the 12volt car battery. (we finally got a place with AC power on day 7)

EVF simply does not offer the kind of required feedback and speed to do the job in an action setting. Yes, someone will say newer EVFs are better, that the XT2 EVF is "Sooo much better it is just like a DSLR" but that's exactly what was said about the XT1 EVF when it came out, and so on,..

I adore my little Fuji, but after this experience no one can convince me that EVF comes close to DSLR for immediate critical feedback. I need to see that the eye is in focus! And the little (and big!) critters aren't going to wait.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
Joined Jan 2011
Boston, MA
Aug 09, 2017 14:50 |  #59

AlanU wrote in post #18423166 (external link)
Looking at your current gear...your in bliss with incredible IQ bodies :)

I acquired all that stuff little by little, over the last ten years, selling the camera/lenses that no longer suited the purpose or my skills, and buying something new (not always brand new). Now that the kids are in their thirties and on their own, and I have a couple more years of professional life before I retire, I can afford the gear I want. Plus it helps when the wife says: You want that camera, go and buy it! :-)

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

kaitanium
Goldmember
3,864 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by kaitanium. 3 edits done in total.
Aug 09, 2017 15:22 |  #60

whats the hype with MA. i dont even use that feature on my 5D3. Are we talking pixel peepers and tack sharp junkies here who desire MA? Aka more of a preference than a must have? Hasnt made a game breaking difference for me. Maybe if my lenses are back/front focusing? Which non are to the point of noticeability.

sponsored links

7,550 views & 15 likes for this thread
Canon EOS Rebel SL2
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.