Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 06 Aug 2017 (Sunday) 22:50
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

ISS passover with green flash

andicus
187 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Aug 06, 2017 22:50 |  #1

I took an untracked, long exposure image of the ISS passing over tonight. I noticed it flashed green as it was fading out.

I'm speculating that it's atmospheric distortion, similar to the effect of the green flash sometimes visible during sunset.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Full image, followed by a 100% crop of the flash.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon EOS 7D, EOS Digital Rebel XTi / EOS 400D / Kiss Digital X | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS |

sponsored links
andicus
THREAD ­ STARTER
187 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Aug 08, 2017 21:04 |  #2

No one has any ideas? I thought someone would at least have a guess.

Canon EOS 7D, EOS Digital Rebel XTi / EOS 400D / Kiss Digital X | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS |

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Aug 08, 2017 21:49 |  #3

Maybe the astronauts were lasing you.  :p

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

andicus
THREAD ­ STARTER
187 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Aug 08, 2017 22:37 |  #4

Funny enough, when googling to try and find out what caused this, there were other suggestions as to it being laser related. Obviously, it wasn't. :)

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,396 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Aug 09, 2017 08:14 |  #5

Perhaps its internal reflection ?

andicus
THREAD ­ STARTER
187 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Aug 09, 2017 13:16 |  #6

No, this was clearly visible to the naked eye.

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,396 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Aug 09, 2017 15:21 |  #7

Well I guess you could contact NASA and send that picture and see if they can explain what it is .

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,027 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Aug 09, 2017 15:27 |  #8

I'm guessing that the sun reflected off of the solar arrays just right as they are very reflective.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

andicus
THREAD ­ STARTER
187 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Aug 10, 2017 00:21 |  #9

There is reflection from the panels, but why did it turn green for an instant?

I have submitted the question to NASA. Hopefully they answer. They don't allow you to submit links on the question form, so I couldn't provide the image.

RedHeart
Joined Oct 2012
Aug 18, 2017 14:56 |  #10

Don't expect them to reply with the truth. It was a alien vessel powering up their engines before leaving :-P:-P

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Aug 18, 2017 15:08 |  #11

I shot it a month or so ago but didn't get any anomalies.

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2839/33499894891_8e201c6811_b_d.jpg

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

andicus
THREAD ­ STARTER
187 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Aug 20, 2017 13:38 |  #12

Still haven't heard anything from NASA. I believe they say it could be 10-15 days for a response.

saea501, one thing that's different between our shots is that mine shows the ISS entering the Earth's shadow. It looks like your exposure stopped before that was the case, as there is no fadeout. My suspicion is that the green flash was due to the the light from the sun passing through the atmosphere, so it would coincide with the fadeout.

Hopefully I'll get an answer, soon.

andicus
THREAD ­ STARTER
187 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Sep 14, 2017 10:02 |  #13

Well, after a month I received a disappointing response for NASA. Sounds like they just saw the term ISS and responded with a form letter about it. Why even have an "Ask NASA" section if they're not going to attempt to answer your question?

I'll try asking in one of the Astronomy forums.

Thank you for your email to NASA. Apologies are extended for the delay in responding, as NASA receives thousands of inquiries each week from across the United States and around the world.

For more information about the International Space Station go to: http://[URL]www.nasa.g​ov/mission_pages/stati​on/main/ (external link)

To apply online for an opportunity to speak with a member of the International Space Station crew go to:https://[URL]www.nasa.​gov ...centers/johnson/dow​nlinks (external link)

NASA encourages you to visit www.nasa.gov (external link) to learn about the exciting work NASA is doing. NASA also invites you to consider using one or more of the following easy and convenient communications tools for receiving NASA Updates.

· Subscribe to E-mail Delivery – Simply go to www.nasa.gov (external link), enter your e-mail address, set your delivery preferences, and choose your area(s) of interest.
· Receive Updates by RSS (Really Simple Syndication) – NASA RSS Feeds are available at [URL]http://www.nasa.gov (external link)/rss/index.html.
· Join Twitter at http://twitter.com/NAS​A (external link).

Your interest in NASA is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Public Communications Program
Public Services
Office of Communications

troypiggo
Goldmember
4,732 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
Sep 14, 2017 23:57 |  #14

Are you sure it was the ISS you shot there? It's brightness is very constant as it passes over. More like the example saea501 posted above.

Your shot seems to show it bright then trailing off. Perhaps more like a tumbling type satellite or iridium flare? May also explain the flash of colour?

"Interesting. You're afraid of insects and women. Ladybugs must render you catatonic." - Sheldon
Flickr (external link) | Gear List | Macro Rig | Astro Rig | Astro Software Post

andicus
THREAD ­ STARTER
187 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Sep 15, 2017 00:55 as a reply to troypiggo's post |  #15

Absolutely. I had checked for passes on Heavens-Above.com, so I was setup to shoot it. The only Iridium flare that night was about an hour after this, and was barely visible from my location. This was pretty much directly overhead.

The reason it faded out is that it went into shadow.

sponsored links

1,528 views & 6 likes for this thread
ISS passover with green flash
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.