Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation
Thread started 23 Nov 2015 (Monday) 17:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

HDR software

DagoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
May 16, 2016 10:23 as a reply to post 18008778 |  #16

While you may need to purchase the upgrades for Machinery, that is better than no updates which HDR Efex (which I have) hasn't had in a very long time. Also you can tweak everything in it, unlike HDR Efex which gives you only a few controls in comparison. I much prefer the original version of HDR Efex where you had full control.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M

sponsored links
Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,966 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
May 16, 2016 10:33 |  #17

It's right on the Machinery HDR website, easily found with minimal effort:

"Users who have purchased a Machinery HDR Effects license but their free-of-charge update has expired (for purchases made over 1 year ago), will receive a 50% discount for the purchase of an additional year of updates."

An initial purchase will work, BUT to get continual updates and improvements you need to re-license it every year.

Website (external link) |

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,966 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
May 16, 2016 10:37 |  #18

DagoImaging wrote in post #18008790 (external link)
While you may need to purchase the upgrades for Machinery, that is better than no updates which HDR Efex (which I have) hasn't had in a very long time. Also you can tweak everything in it, unlike HDR Efex which gives you only a few controls in comparison. I much prefer the original version of HDR Efex where you had full control.

I will agree with this. IMHO, the biggest design flaw in HDR Efex was the use radio buttons as opposed to variable sliders. It reduces the ability to achieve fine tweaking. Still, I have only used Photomatix minimally (one out of a hundred photos?) for years because generally, HDR efex does a better job.

But again, unfortunately, with the borg (google) abandoning the Nik suite, and in essence trashing it, hdr efex will probably not be developed further. It is only a matter of time until it becomes outdated and irrelevant.

eddieb1
673 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Oregon
May 16, 2016 10:40 |  #19

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18008809 (external link)
It's right on the Machinery HDR website, easily found with minimal effort:

"Users who have purchased a Machinery HDR Effects license but their free-of-charge update has expired (for purchases made over 1 year ago), will receive a 50% discount for the purchase of an additional year of updates."

An initial purchase will work, BUT to get continual updates and improvements you need to re-license it every year.

Hmmmmm.... they must have overlooked me.:-)

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,966 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
May 16, 2016 10:45 |  #20

eddieb1 wrote in post #18008821 (external link)
Hmmmmm.... they must have overlooked me.:-)

LOL. Well, my friend, maybe not very much longer. The author of MHDR has always been very active in this forum and may have read your post!

eddieb1
673 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Oregon
May 16, 2016 10:48 |  #21

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18008824 (external link)
LOL. Well, my friend, maybe not very much longer. The author of MHDR has always been very active in this forum and may have read your post!

Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh well, fine product either way.

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,966 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
Post has been last edited over 1 year ago by Picture North Carolina. 4 edits done in total.
May 16, 2016 10:56 |  #22

Which is why, as I said in another thread, the timing might be perfect for ON1 to come out with a HDR product.

HDR efex was trashed by the borg.

Topaz doesn't have one.

Photomatix's last major update (Loooong ago) wasn't really an update. They just added some crappy adjustments onto the end - almost like a half-hearted afterthought.

Oloneo never did get ghosting solved.

SNS is way too hard to use.

And the various free appz work about as well as you would expect a free app to work.

If On1 has had a HDR product in development and can release a good-working product in the next six months, and with their established marketing power and position, they might have the forefront product.

DagoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
May 16, 2016 11:42 |  #23

The other option is don't buy yearly from Machinery and only buy the upgrade once it has something you need, may be every other year or more. For the price, it's not that bad to do it yearly.

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,966 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
May 16, 2016 15:09 |  #24

Well, now I'm a little confused. For years I thought MHDR was authored by a gentleman named Marecki who initiated another thread and (I believe) announced himself as author back in 2011. But now looking at the info on the MHDR website it says its owned by DCraw and Dave Coffin?

Yaryman
Joined Feb 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
Jun 20, 2016 08:09 |  #25

russellsnr2 wrote in post #17794777 (external link)
http://www.sns-hdr.com ...d38d6d3bd2491f8fc82​0bc363 (external link)

NIK HDR Efex Pro

and many more with a google search.

My personal pref is the SNS-HDR

Russ

Now Nik HDR Efex Pro is free from Google.

Napa Valley Wedding Photography (external link)
ProPhoto Blog Discount (external link)

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,966 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
Jun 21, 2016 07:48 |  #26

Yaryman wrote in post #18044773 (external link)
Now Nik HDR Efex Pro is free from Google.

Use it while you can.

When Google abandoned the Nik project, they, in essence, also abandoned future development, bug fixes, enhancements, support, etc.

Nik HDR will be around a while and working, but it's only a matter of time until it becomes irrelevant and (tragically) non-functional.

Stiga
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Apr 22, 2017 08:11 |  #27

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18008846 (external link)
Which is why, as I said in another thread, the timing might be perfect for ON1 to come out with a HDR product.

HDR efex was trashed by the borg.

Topaz doesn't have one.

Photomatix's last major update (Loooong ago) wasn't really an update. They just added some crappy adjustments onto the end - almost like a half-hearted afterthought.

Oloneo never did get ghosting solved.

SNS is way too hard to use.

And the various free appz work about as well as you would expect a free app to work.

If On1 has had a HDR product in development and can release a good-working product in the next six months, and with their established marketing power and position, they might have the forefront product.

I see that Photomatix are jumping up and down on their Facebook page about their all singing all dancing Version 6.

This is a copy an image they have posted:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Copyright HDRsoft

I see that the Photomatix "glow" has not been killed off. I shall not be investing in Version 6!

BTW, I do not understand why you find SNS-HDR difficult to use.

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

DagoImaging
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
Apr 22, 2017 09:56 |  #28

Much easier to use Luminosity masks w/o the HDR glow.

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
8,966 posts
Joined Apr 2006
North Carolina
Post has been last edited 6 months ago by Picture North Carolina with reason 'gramirr'. 2 edits done in total.
Apr 23, 2017 09:03 |  #29

Stiga wrote in post #18334629 (external link)
I see that Photomatix are jumping up and down on their Facebook page about their all singing all dancing Version 6.

I see that the Photomatix "glow" has not been killed off. I shall not be investing in Version 6!

BTW, I do not understand why you find SNS-HDR difficult to use.

Thanks for the head's-up. I was not aware they finally decided to upgrade the product. However, your post is a little misleading in that it might lead some to believe version 6 is available. It is not on the sale page. Version 5 still is. As of April 21st, they are asking for ver 6 beta testers. I'll not participate neither will I jump on ver 6 when retail is available. I'll wait and see how well it's received / reviewed.

As to the "glow", not sure if that's your reference to Photomatix's infamous halos or the tonemapped look. As to the halos, yea - still there. I noticed they redesigned their website. However, I question the use of the lighthouse image as their best example. Many of the versions look crappy to me. If that's the best they can come up with, they're in trouble. If you are referencing the classic tonemapped look, nowadays there are easier (and cheaper) ways to create it.

And in the store photomatix v5 is going for $99. Isn't that an increase? Really can't remember, tho.

DagoImaging wrote in post #18334699 (external link)
Much easier to use Luminosity masks w/o the HDR glow.

Agree. The referenced post was a year ago. Now there are many good luminosity mask panels that can achieve extended dynamic range blending, do a better job of it than Photomatix, and without all the unwanted side effects such as increased noise, increased saturation in certain color groups, and of course, halos.

And if one wants a classic tonemapped look, as said above, there are methods to add one to a LM blended image after the fact for a lower cost.

All-in-all, I will give the photomatix people the benefit of the doubt and wait until the final / retail version of v.6 before deciding. Off the top of my head, tho, with all the changes over the last few years with photoshop, plugins, presets, luminosity mask blending panels, and so forth, my gut feeling is that HDRsoft waited too long. They may have lost both the market and the interest. They will have to had made some really good improvements in v6 to gain it back.

Edit: as to the sample image you posted, I'm wondering about that, too. If you look carefully, it looks like their anti-ghosting filter crapped out on them. The umbrella farthest lower left, the guy going up the stairs, people (runners?) by the center obelisk, people moving by the poster boards to the right, and so forth. Not a good advertisement for the ghosting feature.

icor1031
Joined Jan 2015
Aug 09, 2017 01:12 |  #30

Reservoir Dog wrote in post #17796783 (external link)
Luminance HDR http://qtpfsgui.source​forge.net/?page_id=10 (external link) and it's free

Luminance is OK, I like the variety it has - but it creates too much bloom around light to dark transitions.

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
T3i || Elan 7n || Cotton Carrier || Streaklight 360 || i1display Pro || Colormunki Photo

sponsored links

9,958 views & 2 likes for this thread
HDR software
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.