Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries
Thread started 07 Aug 2017 (Monday) 12:49
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Northern MN Landscape Photography Website Feedback Requested

MNUplander
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2009
Duluth, MN
Aug 07, 2017 12:49 |  #1

Hi everyone -

I used to sell several images a year from my website just from folks finding me online - not nearly enough to live on but enough to pay for most of my camera gear. This is a hobby and I don't have much interest in marketing myself further but the occasional sale was nice to add to the camera fund and bolster my confidence. But, I seem to have fallen from my search ranking due to my lack of content updates the last couple years when photography had to take a back seat "because life" and I haven't sold anything in a while.

I'm making a concerted effort to get back into the hobby and I've started by doing an overhaul on the layout/appearance of my website and organizing/culling my images. Would anyone care to take a look and give feedback? www.northerncaptures.c​om (external link)

Specifically:

-Do the images on the first page of each gallery deserve to be there? Any from page 2 that should be on page 1?
-I've removed quite a few second tier images, any others that should be culled altogether?
-Any comments on the layout/look and feel? Keep in mind I'm working from a SmugMug template so my options are limited.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
6D, 16-35 f4 IS, 50 1.2

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Aug 09, 2017 02:25 |  #2

I like the clean simple site/font. I assume you will add some more personal info about you/your work (and the fact that it is for sale) as some point.

Images
Don't have time to review them all but I think you may be offering too many choices that are too similar. Research has shown that in cases where there are lots of choices (especially similar items) people end up making no choice at all. I would suggest that you pick one or two galleries and you go through and cull ruthlessly. Pick the best example of each type of image and delete the rest.

Then track which of your galleries (more choice or less choice) people actually choose/buy images from.

As an example Lake Superior....
Page 1
I didn't stop flicking through until I got to image 11. That was the first stand out image for me (better than 7 which is similar but the light isn't as good). 12 is nice but you have a better foggy shoreline image on page 2. 13 & 14 are nice.
15, 16, 17 and 18 don't have anything compelling for me
19 works well (and is different)
20, 21 meh
22 is good
23, 24 don't stand out.

Page 2
25, 26 & 27 are all similar. For me #1 is the clearest and strongest. 28 & 29 are unique and strong but 30 & 31 are both similar and neither are particularly strong.
Nothing else on that page stands out until 37 and 38

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

MNUplander
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2009
Duluth, MN
Aug 09, 2017 14:42 as a reply to Dan Marchant's post |  #3

Dan -

Thanks for taking the time to review - I really appreciate it. I really liked looking at your website as well.

Good call out on the personal info - I used to have a page like that but I removed it to keep the menu a bit cleaner. But, I think it's probably better to include it as a means of personalizing my work. I also like the recommendation of trimming down the number of galleries. I've been toying with the idea of doing some consolidation there.

As always, the hardest part is making use of the feedback on individual images. I know there is fat left to be trimmed and after reading your (insightful) comments, it's a reality check that makes it easier to cull some images. In other cases, some of the images that don't really speak to you have some sales under their belt and have received positive feedback from others so I'm hesitant to be too quick with the ax. Please don't take that to mean I don't value your opinion - I do!

I'm a data guy by trade so if anyone else would like to weigh in, I'd certainly be appreciative of a few more responses to help solidify some of the things I'm thinking about.

Brett

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
6D, 16-35 f4 IS, 50 1.2

390 views & 1 like for this thread
Northern MN Landscape Photography Website Feedback Requested
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.