Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 29 Jun 2017 (Thursday) 20:48
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EOS Rebel SL2

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,356 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Aug 09, 2017 15:34 |  #61

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18423230 (external link)
Yes, I just posted about the Fuji system and it's limitations in the last few days after my experiences in Botswana,.

Ahhh! Chasing after pictures of Harry and Megan. :)

sponsored links
rantercsr
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2014
Aug 09, 2017 15:36 |  #62

with my canon lenses never needed adjustments .. but sigma makes some awesome glass.. and the back/front focus is real!!

Canon 80D//Rebel T4i//EF50 f1.4 //EFS 24mm F2.8//EFS 18-55//EFS 10-18 //EFS 55-250
Pentax k1000* k50 f2*135 f2.
Fuji XT2 // xf 23mm f2/ xf50 f2 WR
https://www.instagram.​com/shotbypops/ (external link) MYflickr (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Aug 09, 2017 15:44 |  #63

kaitanium wrote in post #18423379 (external link)
whats the hype with MA. i dont even use that feature on my 5D3. Are we talking pixel peepers and tack sharp junkies here who desire MA? Aka more of a preference than a must have? Hasnt made a game breaking difference for me. Maybe if my lenses are back/front focusing? Which non are to the point of noticeability.

When I acquire a new lens I go through my rituals of micro adjusting when needed.

On the most part majority of my lenses need a tweak. I will shoot wideopen and take a photo of usually human subjects [one of my daughters :)]

If you spoke to me a decade ago I was an extreme pixel peeper. At this moment I scrutinize a new lens and become extremely critical at first. Once pixel peep for the first while I'll do MA adjustments to maximize eyelash detail. On rare occasions I'll use a tripod but usually I hand hold test.

The calibration found in a Canon body must pass Canon's quality control. As you know specifications can be within percentages. From one end of the acceptable range can be from one end of the scale to the other. Lens calibration also is within a certain percentage to pass quality control. When you mate a camera/lens there is a discrepancy that can cause focus issues.

Native glass just seems to have less random back/front focus. However I find some of my Canon lenses require some tweaks.

I suggest trying out MA on your current lenses. You will very likely see some wideopen photos to be soft and with minor software tweaks you can get much sharper images.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

Lbsimon
...never exercised in my life
Joined Jan 2011
Boston, MA
Aug 09, 2017 16:13 |  #64

kaitanium wrote in post #18423379 (external link)
whats the hype with MA. i dont even use that feature on my 5D3. Are we talking pixel peepers and tack sharp junkies here who desire MA? Aka more of a preference than a must have? Hasnt made a game breaking difference for me. Maybe if my lenses are back/front focusing? Which non are to the point of noticeability.

If is nice that you are happy with the sharpness of your shots. But what do you do when you are not? And I am not talking about pixel peeping, you just look at the pictures on the screen and you don't like it?

Most of my Canon lenses do not require a MA, but I had Tamrons and Sigmas that did. I remember that the Tamron 70-300 VC required -18. My Canon 100-400 II when used with the 1.4x TC on the 70D IIrequires +4. And it is detectable without a 100 percent crop or any magnification.

The fact that you liked you pictures does not mean that everybody is that lucky. All mechanical parts have tolerances, and when you have three components together you can have a visible problem.

You may want to try to check your camera/lenses and see if you will see any difference.

5D Mark IV | 6D | S110
EF 17-40L | EF 24-105L (two) | EF 70-200L F4 IS | EF 100-400L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 STM | Canon 1.4x III | Canon 1.4x II
Yongnuo 685 | Nissin Di622 M2 | Nissin Di422

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,899 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Aug 09, 2017 16:39 |  #65

http://www.photography​blog.com ...ws/canon_eos_200d_p​hotos/ (external link)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

rantercsr
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2014
Aug 09, 2017 16:45 |  #66

i'm kinda considering trading the 80d for this camera .. just because of size

Canon 80D//Rebel T4i//EF50 f1.4 //EFS 24mm F2.8//EFS 18-55//EFS 10-18 //EFS 55-250

kaitanium
Goldmember
3,864 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Sacramento/San Francisco USA
Aug 09, 2017 17:35 |  #67

AlanU wrote in post #18423406 (external link)
When I acquire a new lens I go through my rituals of micro adjusting when needed.

On the most part majority of my lenses need a tweak. I will shoot wideopen and take a photo of usually human subjects [one of my daughters :)]

If you spoke to me a decade ago I was an extreme pixel peeper. At this moment I scrutinize a new lens and become extremely critical at first. Once pixel peep for the first while I'll do MA adjustments to maximize eyelash detail. On rare occasions I'll use a tripod but usually I hand hold test.

The calibration found in a Canon body must pass Canon's quality control. As you know specifications can be within percentages. From one end of the acceptable range can be from one end of the scale to the other. Lens calibration also is within a certain percentage to pass quality control. When you mate a camera/lens there is a discrepancy that can cause focus issues.

Native glass just seems to have less random back/front focus. However I find some of my Canon lenses require some tweaks.

I suggest trying out MA on your current lenses. You will very likely see some wideopen photos to be soft and with minor software tweaks you can get much sharper images.

Lbsimon wrote in post #18423434 (external link)
If is nice that you are happy with the sharpness of your shots. But what do you do when you are not? And I am not talking about pixel peeping, you just look at the pictures on the screen and you don't like it?

Most of my Canon lenses do not require a MA, but I had Tamrons and Sigmas that did. I remember that the Tamron 70-300 VC required -18. My Canon 100-400 II when used with the 1.4x TC on the 70D IIrequires +4. And it is detectable without a 100 percent crop or any magnification.

The fact that you liked you pictures does not mean that everybody is that lucky. All mechanical parts have tolerances, and when you have three components together you can have a visible problem.

You may want to try to check your camera/lenses and see if you will see any difference.

Nothing noticeable on my lenses/cameras really. If anything it could be so minuscule that its negligible and not worth my time. Ive had backfocus issues before when I owned the 5Dc but sent the lens in to canon to calibrate and it was fine.

kaitanium
Goldmember
3,864 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Aug 09, 2017 17:35 |  #68

nice! ISO 1600 ones looks pretty smooth to me! Looking promising. I get this camera rental in my hands tomorrow and will have the weekend to play with it. Cant wait.

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Aug 09, 2017 17:44 |  #69

AlanU wrote in post #18423174 (external link)
Jake, I'm not sure if you shoot events but there is absolutely no comparison between Canon's superior flash system (even 3rd party) over Fuji's current systems.

Alan you really need to try using the Godox flash Fuji system to see if is any good or the Nissin system for that matter. I've used both. The Godox kit just works and is very consistent (my AD600 is anyway) & using the Nissin i60 flash with remote TTL trigger works just as well as any Canon flash I've ever used. Giving the correct amount of light as asked for at any time. The tool does what it is asked to do, repeatedly and reliably, what more is there after that?

Cameras: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2
Lenses: XF16mm F1.4, XF 18mm F2, XF 23mm F1.4, XF 35mm F1.4, XF 56mm F1.2, XF 90mm F2, XF 16-55 F2.8, Samyang 8mm F2.8 Fisheye & 12mm F2, Zeiss 35mm F2.4 MC
Gear: AD600BM, Nissan i40, AL-H198, ThinkTank Airport Security 2, Peli 1514, Ona Bowery

flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Post has been edited 2 months ago by AlanU.
Aug 09, 2017 17:49 |  #70

kaitanium wrote in post #18423487 (external link)
Nothing noticeable on my lenses/cameras really. If anything it could be so minuscule that its negligible and not worth my time. Ive had backfocus issues before when I owned the 5Dc but sent the lens in to canon to calibrate and it was fine.

http://m.learn.usa.can​on.com ...roAdjustGuide_deskt​op.pdf (external link)

This is just an article on how to use micro adjust.

"IF" your old 5dc had the micro adjust function you would probably have not been required to send your lens (box/ship/receive/test​) to a Canon repair center.

No need for resistance in using the MA function. Your the commander of your gear and ownership of your files you make :) I will spend my precious time on testing new lenses and take my time perfecting wide open sharpness by "sometimes" adjusting with micro adjust.

Not here to convince you but even with all of my Canon L lenses I own there is always a potential in minor tweaks to get razor sharp images wideopen. I have not had to ship any of my L glass to Canon simply because of MA. Native Canon glass has not given me surprises in back/front focus. My only issues I've really had is the Canon 50L back focusing when subjects are within 5 feet when the aperture is stopped down.

This is just one concern of the rebel SL2 is lack of MA. Otherwise that's such a sweet little package.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Aug 09, 2017 17:51 |  #71

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18423491 (external link)
Alan you really need to try using the Godox flash Fuji system to see if is any good or the Nissin system for that matter. I've used both. The Godox kit just works and is very consistent (my AD600 is anyway) & using the Nissin i60 flash with remote TTL trigger works just as well as any Canon flash I've ever used. Giving the correct amount of light as asked for at any time. The tool does what it is asked to do, repeatedly and reliably, what more is there after that?

Thanks Kim!!

I'm kinda disappointed that my Cactus V6 triggers with RF60 does not work with my Fuji that well. However that Cactus trigger works fantastic with my Canon gear.

rantercsr
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2014
Aug 09, 2017 17:59 |  #72

AlanU wrote in post #18423497 (external link)
Thanks Kim!!

I'm kinda disappointed that my Cactus V6 triggers with RF60 does not work with my Fuji that well. However that Cactus trigger works fantastic with my Canon gear.

cactus v6 worked poorly with my Panasonic cams.. worked very well with canon..

Godox has been working consitenlty and reliably with my canon, sony and so far Fuji

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Aug 09, 2017 18:07 as a reply to AlanU's post |  #73

If you want a good flash setup, give either a try. Cobbling triggers and adaptors and flashes is asking for things to go wrong, anyway it's a pain to set up and cumbersome, much nicer to have a dedicated system that you know will work. See you you can borrow for a play, and a couple of Godox flash units and a trigger is not so much compared to one Canon flash, you get TTL and HSS with that too.

Cameras: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2
Lenses: XF16mm F1.4, XF 18mm F2, XF 23mm F1.4, XF 35mm F1.4, XF 56mm F1.2, XF 90mm F2, XF 16-55 F2.8, Samyang 8mm F2.8 Fisheye & 12mm F2, Zeiss 35mm F2.4 MC
Gear: AD600BM, Nissan i40, AL-H198, ThinkTank Airport Security 2, Peli 1514, Ona Bowery

flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

kaitanium
Goldmember
3,864 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by kaitanium. 6 edits done in total.
Aug 09, 2017 18:37 as a reply to AlanU's post |  #74

yea im not going to be convinced nor will i argue further if this function is needed or unneeded (as with other useless-to-me functions on these cameras like video or HDR), just unnecessary for my purposes. to each his/her own. If you feel a need to use it, use it. If not then be on your merry way.

These APSc cameras have come a long (and slow) way if this SL2 pans out for me! Last APSc camera I had was a 30D.

kaitanium
Goldmember
3,864 posts
Joined Sep 2005
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by kaitanium. 3 edits done in total.
Aug 11, 2017 11:50 |  #75

Wow so far this camera is pretty nice indeed. At ISO 1600 indoors (f2.8 on the lens) with some faint window light I can still get some pretty good, not overly grainy images even after bumping it in LR. 2 bars of noise reduction in camera and a touch more in LR does the trick but this is something my OMD could have never done.

using a 50mm f1.2
right now outdoors is an overcast day, im indoors, some diffused window light, no inside lights on

So far some notes.
-wishing the screen can tilt without having to flip it out (like sony, olympus, and others).
-back button focus setting is annoying as its all the way out to the edge via the AE lock button as cyberdyne stated. Switching the button with the focus select button helps a bit
-have to get used to changing the aperture with a 2 button press instead of a jog wheel. i havent done this since my 1st gen rebel days!
-focusing in my current condition the camera focuses confidently and quick. Chasing my 2 yr old is no sweat.
-ergonomics are right! I have M to L sized skinny hands. Theres something about a good sized SLR that a X100T can never do. Size is so small on this thing and I can see that if i get a pancake lens, this thing could easily fit in a large pocket.

very impressed so far. This coming from a religious full frame 5D user (5Dc to 5DII to 5DIII). i havent used a apsc camera since my 30D days and before that, the original rebel. Going to give it the weekend to play with this SL2 but so far i would have no problems paying full MSRP on this thing!

sponsored links

7,536 views & 15 likes for this thread
Canon EOS Rebel SL2
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.