Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions
Thread started 01 Aug 2017 (Tuesday) 20:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Digital Speed Challenge #471 - Planes, Trains & Automobiles (and more)

Hye5
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2002
Aug 01, 2017 20:29 |  #1

Despite the title, the challenge theme applies to any form of human transportation, whether mechanized, human powered or otherwise). Show me your best shot! Feel free to interpret the challenge broadly...

The challenge begins when posted, and will end on Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 8:00 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time. The winner will be announced shortly thereafter.

CHALLENGE RULES:
1. Camera: Any DIGITAL CAMERA is allowed, (not just DSLR)
2. Time: Any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
3. Size: See standard P.O.T.N. Image Posting Rules.
4. Post Processing: Do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
5. Posting: ONE PHOTO per photographer in each challenge.
6. Details: Show camera model & lens used. Post brief EXIF data including ISO, shutter speed and aperture used.
7. Commenting: Please, NO COMMENTING DURING CHALLENGE feel free to comment in this thread after a winner is declared.
8. Content: Keep it clean, and both Family and Work safe.
9. Have questions? PM me.
10. Have FUN! * THE WINNER ALWAYS SETS THE THEME FOR THE NEXT CHALLENGE, POSTS IT AND JUDGES IT - BE PREPARED! A new challenge should be posted ASAP after you have been declared the winner.[/QUOTE]

Hye 5 Photographyexternal link

sponsored links
M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,578 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Aug 01, 2017 22:15 |  #2

Dancin' on the Wing

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8363/29224803951_64d4d2b2e3_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/LwuL​3c] (external link)Airshow 2016 (external link) by Mark Johnson (external link), on Flickr

Mark J.
Gear

sandwedge
Joined Aug 2011
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by sandwedge.
Aug 01, 2017 23:58 |  #3

International Space Station Solar Transit

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Planes/i-kJNLFDX/0/cc155498/XL/ISS%2009032016%20660-660-4-XL.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com ...660-660-4-XL.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/63710159@N07/ (external link)
http://www.DougMoon.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
80D, 7D, 5D, t2i, sx50, Sigma 150-600C, 100-400L, 70-200L II, 100mm Macro, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-75, Tokina 11-20, Bower 8mm

teekay
Goldmember
2,557 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Aug 03, 2017 00:34 |  #4

Overtaken

IMAGE: http://community.netidea.com/teekay/temp/Overtaken1280.jpg

rwmson
Joined Aug 2009
Cherry Hill, NJ USA
Aug 03, 2017 06:53 |  #5

Early Mass Transit

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

a gobba gobba glass

darkslinger
Joined Mar 2011
surrey, british columbia
Aug 03, 2017 13:54 |  #6

HOSTED PHOTO

Paul ­ B
148 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Indiana
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Paul B.
Aug 03, 2017 15:31 |  #7

Landing before the storm.

EOS 5DII, 50D w/18-200, 70-200 F2.8, Sony a6000

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,068 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Aug 06, 2017 12:45 |  #8

Lone Commute.

HOSTED PHOTO

Capn ­ Jack
Joined Mar 2010
NE USA
Aug 06, 2017 15:24 |  #9

Raw speed...

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from Capn Jack's gallery.

OldCrow
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2013
NC Foothills
Aug 08, 2017 12:28 |  #10

Up. Up, and Away

HOSTED PHOTO

Don
---------------
Canon SX50, Pentax K30, Fuji S2950

philk54
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
Macungie, PA
Aug 09, 2017 10:45 |  #11

Classic

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8182/29128748640_c306e3fd80_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Lo1s​99] (external link)7U1A2427c (external link) by Philip Kresge (external link), on Flickr

Canon 5DmkIII
Canoon 24-105mm f/4L @105mm
Av: f/8.0
Tv: 1/1000 sec
ISO: 500

All I want is just a little more than I'll ever have.

Phil K.
www.philipkresgephotog​raphy.com (external link)

Gear: I started out with nothing, and have most of it left!

Hye5
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2002
Aug 09, 2017 22:14 |  #12

Challenge closed. I'll have comments and winners posted shortly. Thanks for all the great images!

Hye5
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2002
Aug 09, 2017 22:43 |  #13

Thanks all for submitting a really nice variety of subjects and compositions. I really didn't expect so many entries on this one, much less the range in subject matter. My own brief thoughts on these are below - obviously strictly subjective. They are all worthy of display! My top 3 choices listed at the end of this post.

M_Six - Great daredevil shot. Love the colors and great action!

sandwedge - Wow, this is just awesome! Truly gives you a real sense of how tiny we are in the grand scheme!

teekay - Love the colors and the vintage feel/coloring you managed to capture.

rwmson - Also a great vintage style photo. Love the PP that you added. You really captured the feel of a different era.

darkslinger - Love this. Black and white was a good choice here. Good composition and attention to details.

Paul B - I like this a lot. Simple composition which really draws you into the subject. The clouds are a bit too dark for my taste, but otherwise very cool!

texkam - This is really an interesting image. Great compositional elements... lines, color and a hint of blur giving a sense of motion. The sense of isolation only adds to the image.

Capn Jack - Who doesn't love the beauty and raw power of these amazing machines! Beautiful shot. Good job with the panning on this!

OldCrow - Beautiful colors against a solid field of blue! Great take on the theme! Ideally, more balloons would be nice (I think), but I know there's only so much you can do with an event like this.

Philk54 - Excellent detail shot. Bright colors, reflective chrome and wonderful lines!

And my top three choices:

#1 - Philk54 - I guess I'm a sucker for closeup details, and this one does not disappoint. Did I mention my father had a 57 Chevy Bel-Air which appears in a lot of our old family photos :)

#2 - darkslinger - again, I am particularly drawn to the detail shots, and this one is really nice. Love the black and white and the way you focused on the hood ornament while drawing in both the logo on one side and the rest of the car on the other.

#3 - Texkam - At first, this one wasn't one of my top 3. Strange, but the more I looked at it, the more I found it to be unusually compelling! A bit of a tighter crop (IMO) would have made this even better by losing some distaction on the bottom left.

Thanks again to all for some great viewing!

M_Six
Cream of the Crop
6,578 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010
East Central IL
Aug 09, 2017 22:52 |  #14

Kudos to Philk, darkslinger, and Texkam. Glad I wasn't judging this one. Obviously a great topic as it drew lots of entries.

My personal favorites were Paul B's stellar, angst-filled shot (I can picture the white-knuckled passengers holding on for dear life and praying) and teekay's (HDR?) image.

Well done, all. Looking forward to the next round.

Mark J.
Gear

teekay
Goldmember
2,557 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Post has been edited 2 months ago by teekay.
Aug 09, 2017 23:09 |  #15

Congratulations to Phil, Darkslinger, and Texkam! The subject of transportation always seems to fascinate photographers and this varied collection shows how many variations there can be on the theme.

The one that particularly interested me was Paul's shot of the old Trimotor - if that background wasn't processed in, it's a remarkable shot, so please give us the story, Paul.:-)

Mark, my shot of the streetcar wasn't HDR but I agree does look like it.

sponsored links

1,645 views & 5 likes for this thread
Digital Speed Challenge #471 - Planes, Trains & Automobiles (and more)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.