Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 10 Aug 2017 (Thursday) 09:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Moving to Fuji

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Aug 11, 2017 18:56 |  #31

AlanU wrote in post #18425290 (external link)
I said:

"This is a realistic topic if you dont drink Kool aid and admit pros/cons in the system you use" no snub to anyone as I'm clearly explaining human behavior.

Drinking the kool-aid is a common behavior in brand specific forums. The interesting thing about Fuji and M43 is they are extremely tight knit photography communities more than Nikon and Canon these days. Sensitivity is stronger in these "tight knit" communities at this moment in time. You definitely see alot less "tension" between Canon and Nikon these days.

I blindly jumped into Fuji. I never had anyone really explaining the behavior of Fuji AF. One exception is a friend of mine flat out told me he cannot even touch a fuji Camera due to it's AF (I laughed when he said that before ever buying a fuji camera).

Fuji is not for everyone but I think there is a sweet spot for many photogs. Be it Primary system or secondary system.

I'm truly appreciating the fuji lenses. I'll admit the 56mm seems to act like a Canon EF 85 f/1.8 in sharpness and bokeh. I still dont feel it's on par with my 85Lmk2 though.

As you can see i seem to be vocal about the Fuji system. I'm just explaining to the OP that he must test the waters before diving in if Fuji AF can meet his needs for events work. Rent/borrow is the first hand experience in personal uses of his/her tools.

Again, your lengthy post continue to affirm my initial comment.

And the "sheltered" comment was a snub too but it's cool man this is the internet no hard feelings. I came to this board to learn from others and bounce ideas, not argue about autofocus. ;-)a

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

sponsored links
Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Aug 11, 2017 19:13 |  #32

I blindly jumped into Fuji. I never had anyone really explaining the behavior of Fuji AF. One exception is a friend of mine flat out told me he cannot even touch a fuji Camera due to it's AF (I laughed when he said that before ever buying a fuji camera).

I'm laughing now, out loud! Literally LOLing.

Shot with the 16Mpx X-T1 using it's awful AF and the even worse focusing XF18mm F/2 wide open, really Fuji can't even get focus on a kid running at you on full tilt, how could it ever lock on to a bride walking slowly up the aisle. Obviously a toy camera not suited to the demanding, no punishing, environment that only the best AF system [1Dx2/D5s] could even hope to get a lock on.

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/612/22766660101_5a2f73a1cd_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/AFP5​Sr] (external link)
Wait, hang on, that one is in focus, dang, I meant to post some other shot to prove my point... Hate when that happens

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip
flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Aug 11, 2017 19:31 |  #33

LOL kim

My friend is hardcore as he has every imaginable type of gear from Canon,Nikon, Sony, Fuji, PhaseOne, Hassie etc at his finger tips. He was poking fun making a point to me that I should be aware of pros/cons of fuji. I came to my own personal conclusions and did not take his word for it. I own fuji so this indicates it's working for me.

Kim no doubt the Fuji can focus. I just know that with my own personal shooting with my 16m prime I cannot get a long string of consistent tack sharp images using AF-C. Certainly an acceptable percentage in focus but not like a 1dxmk2 or D5 ;)

Good photo of your child!! did you get every single AF-C shot tack sharp?? When a subject runs towards you this is more challenging than a side panning shot.

If an old Canon 5d classic can track a bride walking down the aisle...... any camera can track a bride ;) Even a slow Ricoh GR mk1 :)

Let's see how the OP takes Fuji's AF during his style of photography.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Aug 11, 2017 19:42 |  #34

hait0622 wrote in post #18425100 (external link)
Maybe try Sony? I hear good things on the a7rii. Just bad with astrophotography. And maybe bring your lens over with a converter.

Why go on what you've "heard"? Because it's full frame and thus, must be better? I shot with Sony's FF kit for over a year and debated with myself for a long time whether or not to switch to Fuji fully for fear of losing out on all that full frame awesomeness. I made the switch when I fell in love with the X-Pro2's hybrid viewfinder and haven't regretted it for a single moment.

Oh, and my X-Pro2 does awesome with astrophotography... but so did my a7S ;)

I said:

"This is a realistic topic if you dont drink Kool aid and admit pros/cons in the system you use" no snub to anyone as I'm clearly explaining human behavior.

Drinking the kool-aid is a common behavior in brand specific forums. The interesting thing about Fuji and M43 is they are extremely tight knit photography communities more than Nikon and Canon these days. Sensitivity is stronger in these "tight knit" communities at this moment in time. You definitely see alot less "tension" between Canon and Nikon these days.

Fuji is not for everyone but I think there is a sweet spot for many photogs. Be it Primary system or secondary system.

I'm truly appreciating the fuji lenses. I'll admit the 56mm seems to act like a Canon EF 85 f/1.8 in sharpness and bokeh. I still dont feel it's on par with my 85Lmk2 though.

As you can see i seem to be vocal about the Fuji system. I'm just explaining to the OP that he must test the waters before diving in if Fuji AF can meet his needs for events work. Rent/borrow is the first hand experience in personal uses of his/her tools.

You lost me when you said you blindly jumped into Fuji... how is that even possible when you spend this much time in the 'Camera vs Camera' and 'Changing Camera Brands' sections of this forum? You must have known about the pros and cons of a mirrorless system beforehand.

I agree with your last paragraph, but I would say that of literally any system. The last paragraph also just furthers the confusion as to why you feel the need to have an ECR response to every post in the first place honestly.

Just start your first paragraph with the TLDR version, it can go like this;
'Fuji's AF hasn't been as reliable/responsive for me for what I shoot (especially in regards to IR assist lamp focusing in low lit rooms with flashes) your mileage may vary. Rent it or buy cheap to try it yourself first. Their lenses are awesome and there's something special about using them so I keep myself invested in both systems. I'm also not a fan of how their lenses flare in general, but that's because I really like starbursts.'

You could post that for just about all of your posts and it'd get the same point across... just saying ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Aug 12, 2017 06:16 |  #35

hait0622 wrote in post #18425100 (external link)
Maybe try Sony? I hear good things on the a7rii. Just bad with astrophotography. And maybe bring your lens over with a converter.

Sony is not even a consideration but thanks :)

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Aug 15, 2017 16:43 |  #36

I just ordered the X-T2 with the grip and should have it tomorrow !!!!!Really excited to be trying a new system. Now I have to sell stuff *LOL*

joeseph
"smells like turd"
Joined Jan 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Oct 03, 2017 03:36 |  #37

Sorry, must have had one wines too many this evening - though you were moving to Fiji & thought "that would be a lovely warm place to live"

as you were...

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Oct 03, 2017 05:59 |  #38

joeseph wrote in post #18465063 (external link)
Sorry, must have had one wines too many this evening - though you were moving to Fiji & thought "that would be a lovely warm place to live"

as you were...

I may move to Fiji and take my Fuji with me *LOL*

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Oct 03, 2017 06:07 |  #39

The move is going well but I am moving into the system slowly :)

Bought the X T2 with the grip..90 prime and the 18 to 55. As expected the battery life is not great. I had to return a TT350. Not regretting the decision but also hanging onto the Canon for a while.

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Two Hot Shoes.
Oct 03, 2017 06:26 |  #40

When I moved it took me about a year before let go of the 5D3, that was March [I think] 2016. I had been nervous about letting go for that full frame camera but when I looked back through my images it was really difficult to know what camera took what shot, for the most part, I was guessing. I was lucky to have gotten my hands on an X-PRO2 very early and once I shot with that I knew my 5D3's days were numbered.

Enjoy the move.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. AD600BM, TT865F, AL-H198, ThinkTank AS2, Peli1514, Ona Bowery, Matthews Grip

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Oct 03, 2017 08:10 |  #41

It's been a few months now and I still own my 6D. The 6D/135L combo is just magical. I cannot mimic it on the Fuji... yet.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Two Hot Shoes.
Oct 03, 2017 10:27 as a reply to FarmerTed1971's post |  #42

Try any 85mm f/1.4 or better yet try the 135L on a speed booster.
The 85mm should give you ~ 130mm @ F/2 once you adapt it to your Fuji.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Oct 03, 2017 22:57 |  #43

scorpio_e wrote in post #18465111 (external link)
The move is going well but I am moving into the system slowly :)

Bought the X T2 with the grip..90 prime and the 18 to 55. As expected the battery life is not great. I had to return a TT350. Not regretting the decision but also hanging onto the Canon for a while.

I know the Battery booster for the X-t2 defeats the purpose of small form factor.

I'll have to say that since I do love the Fuji files I'm sacrificing weight/size factor and keeping my battery booster on my x-t2. I just hate using my Fuji with "no" battery pack. I really started to hate swapping batteries and missing precious moments due to mediocre battery life. The booster has been the best thing I've purchased for my fuji system.

I cannot let my Canon go. The more and more I use my Canon 5dmk4 I am loving the heavier system more and more. The IQ of the 5dmk4 is a very big jump in IQ over my 5dmk3 (which I still own). The IQ between my 5dmk4 and Fuji x-t2 is very noticeable to my eyes.

BUT the thing about fuji is the distinct fuji look. This is what makes me keep the Fuji system. My keeper rate with the 5dmk4 and mirrored system is still much better than my X-t2. If my fuji X-t2 af performance and locking capabilities performed like my 80D I'd say the Fuji would be much better.

I have tried to maximize my uses with my Fuji but it still will sit as my secondary system. I have great pleasure shooting with x-t2 an I will continue to shoot with it. In my case I could never move to fuji as a primary for personal preference in performance capabilities using mirrored bodies. I use my fuji for specific applications......

When I need small form factor I'll lug my 80d or fuji with booster grip. When I rely on absolute max image quality in dreadful lighting situations I have full confidence in my mirrored system.

Mileage will vary from photographer to photographer :)

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

cueball
468 posts
Joined Jun 2008
Oklahoma
Oct 04, 2017 04:25 as a reply to AlanU's post |  #44

My only experience with Fuji is the X100S that I owned for about a year. I liked the physical look and controls of the camera but never found that much of an image quality difference from my Olympus gear. The autofocus was terribly slow compared to my E-M1, E-P5, and Canon 5D3 at the time. I found that in the situations I wanted to use it most, it quite frankly just wasn’t reliable enough.

That said, everything I’ve read and the playing around I’ve done with current Fuji tech tells me they have come a long way and made some great improvements. But, like you I have steadily become more and more impressed with my 5D4. The camera just does its job very well and has been incredibly reliable in almost every situation I’ve thrown at it. I had myself convinced that I would be OK with dropping to an Oly-only setup after my daughter was done with sports, but I just don’t think that will happen. I will probably continue to run dual systems that meet specific purposes (Main and Travel) for the foreseeable future.

Canon: 5D Mark IV, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70 f2.8L II, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS II, 100 f2.8L IS Macro, 2X III, 1.4X III, 580EX II, 430EX | mu43: Olympus OMD EM-1, 17 f1.8, 45 f1.8, 75 f1.8, 12-40 f2.8 PRO, 40-150 f2.8 PRO, MC-14
Feedback: http://photography-on-the.net ...=12723614&postcount​=27889, http://photography-on-the.net ...=13303433&postcount​=30051

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,532 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA
Oct 04, 2017 04:54 |  #45

The IQ of the 5dmk4 is a very big jump in IQ over my 5dmk3 (which I still own). The IQ between my 5dmk4 and Fuji x-t2 is very noticeable to my eyes.

Like how? Can't imagine Canon coming out with some magic formula to improve their sensors.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links

4,987 views & 78 likes for this thread
Moving to Fuji
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.