Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 15 Jun 2005 (Wednesday) 16:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: Everything you want to know about aftermarket batteries for Canon DSLR's

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,548 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Aug 09, 2017 14:46 |  #646

Pinto wrote in post #18423327 (external link)
It's time to replace some failing batteries. This is an old thread and I'm wondering what the current favorite after-matket replacement battery is for the LPE6N?

I'm still satisfied with STK, the brand I've been using since 2006.

sponsored links
Pinto
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2005
Idaho
Aug 09, 2017 15:06 as a reply to RDKirk's post |  #647

Thank you for your response.

I have used a lot of Sterlingtek but nothing recently and have read a lot of poor current reviews.
I have also used Wasabi without obvious problems.

Manufacturing and quality standards continually change and I'm not much of a gear-head so I don't pay attention to anything except obvious poor performance and early failures.

I'm interesting in the opinions of others more knowledgeable on the current options.

Thanks.

Ascenta
Joined Sep 2005
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by Ascenta. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 09, 2017 15:21 |  #648

I'm using a Wasabi in addition to my OEM. It works fine but nowhere near 2600mAh (vs. 1865mAh for Canon OEM). It's cheap though.

The other problem is the "T" (and possibly "C") terminals on the battery.

The "T" provides the charger with a temperature while charging, which can shut down if the cells got too hot for some reason. A catastrophic even would be rare, but this could save your charger, house or even life! Either way, never charge any Li-Ion cells while you leave the house just as good practice. These aftermarket cells "fake" any thermistor data they transmit, if any. When charging, a good cell should range from about 25-40°C, increasing gradually. These 3rd party cells usually send a fake, constant 35°C signal throughout the charging process. That is impossible.

The "C" is a communication terminal. I'm not sure, but I think it provides information to the camera (capacity remaining, serial number, etc). The 3rd party batteries I've used seem to be fine here.

So that just leaves the false advertised capacity and fake thermistor signal. For $12, I'll roll the dice as second battery. Others will say "why chance saving $40 on a $3000 camera?" I get that too, but like to live on the edge :)

RDKirk
12,548 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Aug 09, 2017 15:44 |  #649

Ascenta wrote in post #18423373 (external link)
The "T" provides the charger with a temperature while charging, which can shut down if the cells got too hot for some reason. A catastrophic even would be rare, but this could save your charger, house or even life! Either way, never charge any Li-Ion cells while you leave the house just as good practice. These aftermarket cells "fake" any thermistor data they transmit, if any. When charging, a good cell should range from about 25-40°C, increasing gradually. These 3rd party cells usually send a fake, constant 35°C signal throughout the charging process. That is impossible.

The "C" is a communication terminal. I'm not sure, but I think it provides information to the camera (capacity remaining, serial number, etc). The 3rd party batteries I've used seem to be fine here.

So that just leaves the false advertised capacity and fake thermistor signal. For $12, I'll roll the dice as second battery. Others will say "why chance saving $40 on a $3000 camera?" I get that too, but like to live on the edge :)

How have you discovered that they all fake the thermistor signal?

Ascenta
Joined Sep 2005
Aug 09, 2017 15:47 |  #650

RDKirk wrote in post #18423407 (external link)
How have you discovered that they all fake the thermistor signal?

By testing them. Only the STK, but the Wasabi also displays the same 35°C from 0-100%, so I'm assuming it does the same thing.

RDKirk
12,548 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Aug 09, 2017 16:23 |  #651

Ascenta wrote in post #18423411 (external link)
By testing them. Only the STK, but the Wasabi also displays the same 35°C from 0-100%, so I'm assuming it does the same thing.

Ah. Well, my rechargers are on a timer so they only get 30 minutes of power at 30 minute intervals over an 8-hour period, so I'm not too worried about that.

Ascenta
Joined Sep 2005
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by Ascenta. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 09, 2017 19:05 |  #652

Look those silly manufacturers put a temperature sensor on this battery pack...who needs that? What could they possibly know?

The point of that isn't how long you charge, but to detect a problem and stop the charging. With Li-Ion, often if there is a problem with the cells, you'll know quickly after charging...well under 30 minutes. Could be more like 30 seconds. Again, not common but definitely not something you want to experience if it can be avoided.

RDKirk
12,548 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Post has been edited 4 months ago by RDKirk.
Aug 09, 2017 22:22 |  #653

Ascenta wrote in post #18423566 (external link)
Look those silly manufacturers put a temperature sensor on this battery pack...who needs that? What could they possibly know?

The point of that isn't how long you charge, but to detect a problem and stop the charging. With Li-Ion, often if there is a problem with the cells, you'll know quickly after charging...well under 30 minutes. Could be more like 30 seconds. Again, not common but definitely not something you want to experience if it can be avoided.

Well, that explains why all my STKs (including ten of them in chargers right now) over the past decade+ have been burning my houses down.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,012 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Aug 10, 2017 13:23 |  #654

RDKirk wrote in post #18423684 (external link)
Well, that explains why all my STKs (including ten of them in chargers right now) over the past decade+ have been burning my houses down.

I haven't had a problem either, but it is concerning to see a valuable safety feature has been removed. It's like a seat belt: You don't need it until you need it. Then you REALLY need it.

Pinto
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2005
Idaho
Aug 10, 2017 14:10 |  #655

Ascenta wrote in post #18423373 (external link)
I'm using a Wasabi in addition to my OEM. It works fine but nowhere near 2600mAh (vs. 1865mAh for Canon OEM). It's cheap though.

I remember from some years ago, an article written by a former Sterlingtek official/employee who left to start his own battery company. I don't recall the name of his new company. The subject of the article was the blatant inflation/falsificatio​n of battery capacity by everyone in the battery industry, including himself.

Perhaps someone else remembers the article. I'll look further for the article and post a link if I find it.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,500 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by John from PA. 3 edits done in total.
Aug 11, 2017 15:23 |  #656

I use and generally support 3rd party batteries. However, there may be a key difference between brands like STK, Wasabi, Evergizer, etc. as compared to Canon. That difference is the UL mark. As near as I can tell from a web search of images, the UL mark is only present on the Canon brand. It should be noted that Underwriters Laboratories is an independent 3rd party testing laboratory. Further, UL develops their own testing procedures to insure safety of the end product. They, meaning UL, is committed to protecting the integrity of the UL Mark and, by extension, protecting the individuals and communities that rely on UL. If you have a defective product bearing the UL "seal", there actually is a process by which you can report the defect. UL encourages this process to insure ongoing product safety.

In contrast the "CE" mark is a legally required marking in the European Union (EU). It is usually a manufacturer’s self-declaration that the product complies with European laws and may not include assessment to safety requirements. Most products bearing the CE mark are not required to be third-party certified, are not subject to ongoing factory surveillance of production, and may not be compliant with applicable U.S. product safety standards.

Draw your own conclusions but at least on the surface I suspect the UL mark may infer a product properly tested to comply with a specification that addresses safety.

Pinto
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2005
Idaho
Aug 12, 2017 12:49 |  #657

John from PA wrote in post #18425136 (external link)
I use and generally support 3rd party batteries. However, there may be a key difference between brands like STK, Wasabi, Evergizer, etc. as compared to Canon. That difference is the UL mark. As near as I can tell from a web search of images, the UL mark is only present on the Canon brand. It should be noted that Underwriters Laboratories is an independent 3rd party testing laboratory. Further, UL develops their own testing procedures to insure safety of the end product. They, meaning UL, is committed to protecting the integrity of the UL Mark and, by extension, protecting the individuals and communities that rely on UL. If you have a defective product bearing the UL "seal", there actually is a process by which you can report the defect. UL encourages this process to insure ongoing product safety.

In contrast the "CE" mark is a legally required marking in the European Union (EU). It is usually a manufacturer’s self-declaration that the product complies with European laws and may not include assessment to safety requirements. Most products bearing the CE mark are not required to be third-party certified, are not subject to ongoing factory surveillance of production, and may not be compliant with applicable U.S. product safety standards.

Draw your own conclusions but at least on the surface I suspect the UL mark may infer a product properly tested to comply with a specification that addresses safety.

Thank you! A very important point to be considered and one that I have not seen previously addressed.

felix21685
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,368 posts
Joined Mar 2005
Arizona
Oct 21, 2017 12:42 |  #658

I just picked up some Sterlingteks for a new camera a few months ago. Still use STKs as my preferred aftermarket battery.

---------------
50D, Rebel XT, EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS, 28-135 IS,430EX, AT858
Everything you wanted to know about aftermarket batteries

RDKirk
12,548 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Oct 21, 2017 14:26 |  #659

John from PA wrote in post #18425136 (external link)

Darned near none of my gear is UL approved. Not even my Paul Buff lights are UL approved.

My printers are UL approved. But not my phone or tablet.

Life would begin to suck if I limited my purchases only to items that had UL approval.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,500 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Oct 21, 2017 20:30 |  #660

RDKirk wrote in post #18477690 (external link)
Darned near none of my gear is UL approved. Not even my Paul Buff lights are UL approved.

My printers are UL approved. But not my phone or tablet.

Life would begin to suck if I limited my purchases only to items that had UL approval.

Check the chargers, they are likely UL approved.

sponsored links

354,796 views & 1 like for this thread
Everything you want to know about aftermarket batteries for Canon DSLR's
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.