Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 10 Aug 2017 (Thursday) 15:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

GT1545T vs GT2545T?

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Aug 10, 2017 15:05 |  #1

I know gitzo is well-loved here, but I'm curious who has gone through the comparison of these two tripods? I briefly saw the 1-series in store today, but it seems no local camera stores stock the 2-series model. Is it a price thing? Less popular?

I am considering a new travel tripod and although both of these are shorter than my current tripod, the folded length is very enticing. The 2-series obviously seems more robust but hard to compare just specs vs in-person.

So, have any of you compared these two during your own buying process? What solidified your decision?

New Zealand Travel Photography (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
johnf3f
Goldmember
3,682 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Aug 10, 2017 18:19 |  #2

I have the earlier Gitzo G1550T and it is remarkably good for it's size and weight. However a larger series tripod is always better so long as it fits your needs/requirements.

Whenever practical I use my Gitzo GT4542LS due to it's stability/rigidity - unfortunately it is far from ideal for travel! So long as the 2 series fits within your luggage requirements and the little bit of extra weight is not an issue then I would go for it. Whatever the 1 series will do (and that is quite a lot!) the 2 series will just do it better!

Check the dimensions carefully for your needs and then decide. Either will do an excellent job but the larger (2 Series) will be a touch more rigid/stable, so is my preferred choice. Incidentally I went for the 1 series because I got it cheap! For travel use there is not much between them unless you are using longer lenses but bigger is always better with tripods IMO.;-)a

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Aug 10, 2017 20:35 |  #3

johnf3f wrote in post #18424348 (external link)
I have the earlier Gitzo G1550T and it is remarkably good for it's size and weight. However a larger series tripod is always better so long as it fits your needs/requirements.

Whenever practical I use my Gitzo GT4542LS due to it's stability/rigidity - unfortunately it is far from ideal for travel! So long as the 2 series fits within your luggage requirements and the little bit of extra weight is not an issue then I would go for it. Whatever the 1 series will do (and that is quite a lot!) the 2 series will just do it better!

Check the dimensions carefully for your needs and then decide. Either will do an excellent job but the larger (2 Series) will be a touch more rigid/stable, so is my preferred choice. Incidentally I went for the 1 series because I got it cheap! For travel use there is not much between them unless you are using longer lenses but bigger is always better with tripods IMO.;-)a

I currently have the Feisol 3441T which folds ~1.5" longer but goes taller as well. It has 3 leg angles whereas the gitzo oddly has "tall" and "very low"

The gitzo's is 25 and 70, feisol is 25, 50, 75. I forget which way the angles are measured - is the gitzo's 70 creating a steeper tripod i.e. smaller footprint and less stable, or do the legs splay out further at 70 vs 75? (or is 25 the steep and therefore they are equal?)

The 2 series seems more similar in "size" to the 3441T, but the 1-series would likely be noticeably more compact + lighter.

New Zealand Travel Photography (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,682 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Aug 11, 2017 18:36 |  #4

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #18424492 (external link)
I currently have the Feisol 3441T which folds ~1.5" longer but goes taller as well. It has 3 leg angles whereas the gitzo oddly has "tall" and "very low"

The gitzo's is 25 and 70, feisol is 25, 50, 75. I forget which way the angles are measured - is the gitzo's 70 creating a steeper tripod i.e. smaller footprint and less stable, or do the legs splay out further at 70 vs 75? (or is 25 the steep and therefore they are equal?)

The 2 series seems more similar in "size" to the 3441T, but the 1-series would likely be noticeably more compact + lighter.

I am very familiar with the Feisol 3341 T and 3441 T as two friends have them!

If your Feisol 3441 fits your luggage requirements than save some money and just use it. The only reason I bought my Gitzo G1550T was because I couldn't find a cheap Feisol Tournament tripod!

The Feisol Tournaments are not perfect but they offer a combination of light weight and rigidity that is not currently offered by anyone else. The Tournament tripods are stupidly light yet are quite happy with my 300 F2.8 and a pro body - not bad for a 1 kilo tripod! The Feisol legs are not as good as the Gitzo equivalents but the Feisols have a Systematic style spider (top bit) which more than makes up for this.

So long as your Feisol 3441 folds short enough for your travel needs then just use it and save quite a lot of money. It is certainly as/more rigid than my 1 series Gitzo Traveller, would be very close to a Gitzo 2 series Traveller, also it is lighter than either of them and you already have it!:-)

Pity you don't live in the UK as I would happily do a swap. Though if you REALLY need the shorter folded length then either of the Gitzos will do a fine job.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

SunDevilPilot
Joined Feb 2005
Gilbert, AZ
Aug 13, 2017 10:19 |  #5

I recently purchased the GT2545T for my "go to" travel tripod. I am not a professional photographer and I take most of my photos when I'm on vacation. I knew I wanted a "travel" type tripod because I didn't want to run into a situation where I left it at home because it was too big / cumbersome to bring along. I have a DSLR type camera (7D Mk II) and decided the largest, AKA most stable, of the Gitzo Traveler series was my best option. The Series 2 folds up nicely and easily fits into my luggage. It is light and easy to carry around. I purchased the tripod along with the head. Both are first class and I am really happy with both.

Are there more "Rock Solid" tripods out there.... sure.. But the 2545 fits my every need.

SunDevilPilot

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"In God we Trust, All others we run through NCIC"
7DMKII, 50D, 70-200 F4L, 24-105 F4L IS, 100-400 F4.5-5.6 IS L

Minigill
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2016
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Minigill.
Aug 14, 2017 12:07 |  #6

I compared both these models side by side before purchasing (many times to make sure I had the right one!). My rig is X-T2 with the largest lens being 100-400. I went with the 2545T as I wanted the more stable one out of the two. Now whilst I wouldn't use the 2545 for lots of pics with the 100-400, it copes just fine for the short use. I have also briefly used the 7D2 + 100-400 on the 2545 until I sold that set up !

I also have the Systematic for the big lens but I prefer to grab the 2545T all the time :) Its lightweight, easy to hang off the shoulder with the tripod strap (out of its padded bag), compact size (including cabin size size).

I also like the 1545 but for my use, the 2545 was the winner. Probably comes down to how you want to use it, how far to carry, what gear. The 2545 T is quite a bit more stable.

I have the kit with the head on the 2545T and find this very easy to use.

sponsored links

668 views & 0 likes for this thread
GT1545T vs GT2545T?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.