Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 01 Aug 2017 (Tuesday) 11:52
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Mini Tripod

J-Dog
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jul 2017
Aug 01, 2017 11:52 |  #1

I'm looking for a mini tripod for my Canon 700d (hopefully upgrading soon to a 70d or 7d II) and wondering if anyone has any good advice without breaking the bank.
Usage is for macro and just general family fun on days out small enough to stick in my rucksack..

Thanks for any advice

sponsored links
bpalermini
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2011
Ashland, Oregon
Aug 01, 2017 15:31 |  #2

I have used a Slik Mini Pro III (external link) tripod for a number of years and find it adequate for many uses with smaller cameras with shorter lenses. Its total capacity is under 3 lbs so it is not made for big camera rigs. It is very compact so you can take it just about anywhere.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 300 IS 2.8L, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Aug 01, 2017 15:40 |  #3

J-Dog wrote in post #18416377 (external link)
I'm looking for a mini tripod for my Canon 700d (hopefully upgrading soon to a 70d or 7d II) and wondering if anyone has any good advice without breaking the bank.
Usage is for macro and just general family fun on days out small enough to stick in my rucksack..

Thanks for any advice

A tripod for general use might not be very suitable for macro. Actually I would avoid a regular-type tripod for macro work.

A recent thread touches on this.
http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​483557

Hasselblad 500 C/M with 80mm/2.8 Zeiss Planar (trying to sell it); Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

gremlin75
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Detroit, MI
Aug 07, 2017 21:59 |  #4

Cullmann magnesit copter

This has been my table tripod for a few years now and has been great. Biggest combo I've had on it was a 60D with sigma 50-150mm f2.8 OS (about the same size as a 70-200 f2.8).

The mini arca mount does not come with it and I did have to file down the top screw in order for it not to stick out the top. But it holds well and it tiny (second pic is it next to my X-T2 with 16mmf1.4)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

SunDevilPilot
Joined Feb 2005
Gilbert, AZ
Aug 13, 2017 10:38 |  #5

I recently purchased a Really Right Stuff micro tripod. For its size I'd say its super stable. The ballhead works fine as is but I purchased a small nodal plate to scoot the camera rearwards and better balance the camera upon the tripod. I wasn't afraid of it tipping over, I just had to turn the clamp fairly tight when it was off-balance.

RRS also sells a really nice cellphone clamp that works perfect with the little tripod. For those non-photo trips this setup is ideal. Just throw it into a small bag and your off.

Just something to look at.

SunDevilPilot

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

"In God we Trust, All others we run through NCIC"
7DMKII, 50D, 70-200 F4L, 24-105 F4L IS, 100-400 F4.5-5.6 IS L

jlt23
401 posts
Joined May 2010
Tustin, CA
Aug 13, 2017 19:55 as a reply to SunDevilPilot's post |  #6

Nice SunDevilPilot! I have the same one and it works perfectly. RRS products are nice.

James

J-Dog
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jul 2017
Aug 14, 2017 01:33 |  #7

Thanks I'll take a look

sponsored links

842 views & 0 likes for this thread
Mini Tripod
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.