Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Fashion, Editorial & Commercial
Thread started 09 Mar 2017 (Thursday) 15:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Is it impossible to shoot this kind of bottle 100% in camera?

Colorblinded
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
Aug 11, 2017 19:58 |  #61

BJWOK wrote in post #18425317 (external link)
I think the conversation regarding trademark is totally irrelevant here.

mybottleshop.com.au (my client) sell one-off individual bottles (they are not a en-mass distributor) and the bottle in the shot is literally the bottle you buy.

The manufacturer often supply their own image, but my client chooses to not use them as he is trying to NOT be just another run of the mill online store selling the same as anyone else.

My client wants to present this bottle in it's best appearance possible - the label on the back should be visible if you are looking at the back of the bottle, not from the front.

I think there is no way possible to achieve this in camera, but I was willing to put it out here in case someone can prove me wrong.

Your client can't have the impossible.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.comexternal link
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.comexternal link

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,907 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Aug 11, 2017 20:13 as a reply to post 18425324 |  #62

I brought up the same question. The requirements and expectations are in conflict with each other.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

BJWOK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,303 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2007
Sydney, New South Wales
Aug 12, 2017 19:57 |  #63

OhLook, the thing is all the supplied images of this product are extensively photoshopped to not see that label through the bottle, my client wants his own version of that image.

And this plays into Davesrose post: my client doesn't want to pay me for hours and hours of photoshop work after the shoot when I typically spend 3 minutes max on every other bottle, hence my OP asking if it's possible to do this entirely in camera :)

My name is Benon (BJWOK are my initials) :)
www.bjwok.com (external link) <<-- NEW LIGHTROOM 6 PRESETS FOR MUSIC PHOTOGRAPHERS
Benon Koebsch - Photographer (external link) (Facebook)
Gives A Minute (external link) (YouTube channel)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,066 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Aug 13, 2017 01:18 |  #64

the label on the back should be visible if you are looking at the back of the bottle, not from the front

Apparently, that's not how corporate feels. From corporate site for public distribution ...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Normally the back of a label would be left white; the thinking, why waste the printing cost. The fact that the company made the deliberate decision to spend the money to make it black demonstrates that they want it to be clearly visible as you view the product from the front. Your client believes in featuring a photo of the actual bottle, but yet wants it shot to not look like the actual bottle. smh

BJWOK
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,303 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2007
Sydney, New South Wales
Aug 13, 2017 07:43 |  #65

Apparently you might be looking at a wrong image. Here's how they supplied my client: https://www.mybottlesh​op.com.au/1792-sweet-wheat-bourbon (external link)

The idea was to replicate this in camera without (the obvious) photoshop :)

My name is Benon (BJWOK are my initials) :)
www.bjwok.com (external link) <<-- NEW LIGHTROOM 6 PRESETS FOR MUSIC PHOTOGRAPHERS
Benon Koebsch - Photographer (external link) (Facebook)
Gives A Minute (external link) (YouTube channel)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,907 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Aug 13, 2017 08:42 |  #66

I don't understand the need to constantly point out legal issues, whether real or imagined. The point was made, just move on. If you are not a lawyer, everything is presumption unless you have case law examples that match this scenario in the country of origin.

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
12,965 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2010
In The Sticks
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by CameraMan. 6 edits done in total.
Aug 13, 2017 10:06 |  #67

Someone mentioned it earlier. There's a branding issue here that the client is missing. If the bottle has a label on the back then it needs to stay there and it needs to stay in the photo. It's darkened in order to make the front label stand out more against the backdrop placed on the back of the bottle. Now, if this company makes a bourbon without the back label then your client needs to get THAT bottle.

Your sample image without the label on the back may be Photoshopped or maybe they may make a bottle without the rear label.

I've done little product photography but when I did the client wanted the photos to look like the actual product they were selling.

The last HUGE project I did involved photography AND catalog layout. This was back in the early 90's so yes, I used film photography for this project. I got some good money from it but it was tedious laying out the items in the catalog the way the client wanted them. It was 9 items per page with a short description, price, and a photograph. 300+ pages of this kind of work. It took me about 6 months to complete it since I was working full time I had to squeeze this project in while I was at home.

In the end it was ALL about how the actual item looked because people were buying from their catalog. Same goes for online. If I bought a bottle of this bourbon and saw the nice clear background on the bottle I would feel short changed if I ordered that bottle without the label and got one with a label. I would think I received the wrong bottle. I know a phone call or 2 would be made...

I don't know much about this bourbon but I may have to run to my liquor store and check this one out. I love me some good bourbon. :)

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,066 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Aug 13, 2017 12:45 |  #68

This is not just a potential legal issue, and sure, that's a whole other can of worms; it's a shooting the correct product accurately issue.

Barton Distillery in Bardstown, Ky., is now own by Sazerac out of New Orleans. Among other offerings, Barton produces the 1792 line of Bourbon. This line has 4 sub-products. As pictured on their website, only the "Small Batch" sub-brand does not feature the black rear label. The three other varieties clearly have it. I'm guessing the client may be unclear about this and may be confusing his variety. Once again, I would think all parties involved would be interested in having the correct product accurately featured. Hope this helps.

http://www.sazerac.com ...=RT99&PCID=7&FID=1&​NBid=1 (external link)

: ) Having grown up in Louisville, Ky, I can remember my dad, a photographer, shooting gigs for the distilleries. Many, many different brands and sub-brands. I grew up in a house full of client gifted liquor branded paraphernalia. I'm still using them today. lol

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

usedlime
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Sep 2017
Sep 19, 2017 11:57 |  #69

It's impossible to capture in camera. The sticker on the one bottle and rear text on the other needs to be removed. Good luck convincing client.

sponsored links

5,629 views & 9 likes for this thread
Is it impossible to shoot this kind of bottle 100% in camera?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Fashion, Editorial & Commercial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.