Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings
Thread started 23 Feb 2017 (Thursday) 14:14
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Favorite Lens - Real Estate

rgs
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
Oklahoma City
May 10, 2017 22:48 |  #16

dmward wrote in post #18351596 (external link)
Around me, the realtors want wide to make a room look spacious. That creates a challenge for finding points of view that won't make things look too strange. If it looks too distorted I show the realtor the back of the camera and let them decide. They invariably take the wider shot.

That's interesting. My clients don't want to have a buyer disappointed when a room is not as big as they thought from the photos so I am careful not to deliberately misrepresent the size of a room.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
May 16, 2017 18:57 |  #17

rgs wrote in post #18351603 (external link)
That's interesting. My clients don't want to have a buyer disappointed when a room is not as big as they thought from the photos so I am careful not to deliberately misrepresent the size of a room.

The difference in field of view between different lenses has an impact on the appearance of a space. Most humans have peripheral vision that is at least as wide as a 20 to 16mm lens on 36mm sensor.

The difference is that a human mind does a much better job correcting corner distortion than a lens. Then when cropped to a given size the edge distortion is more prominent.

Foreshortening is another visual characteristic of lenses that the human optical system does a great job correcting.

That's why, for years, the default "normal" lens for a 36mm sensor was 50mm. However, I doubt that any realtor would want to have a property photographed with a 50mm lens.

I don't think a wider angle lens misrepresents the space relative to human vision, the foreshortening does present depth which it seems realtors like in the pictures.

What I've found shooting for realtors is that they want whatever the rest of the office is doing. :-(

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

rgs
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2007
Oklahoma City
May 16, 2017 21:20 |  #18

dmward wrote in post #18356394 (external link)
The difference in field of view between different lenses has an impact on the appearance of a space. Most humans have peripheral vision that is at least as wide as a 20 to 16mm lens on 36mm sensor.

The difference is that a human mind does a much better job correcting corner distortion than a lens. Then when cropped to a given size the edge distortion is more prominent.

Foreshortening is another visual characteristic of lenses that the human optical system does a great job correcting.

That's why, for years, the default "normal" lens for a 36mm sensor was 50mm. However, I doubt that any realtor would want to have a property photographed with a 50mm lens.

I don't think a wider angle lens misrepresents the space relative to human vision, the foreshortening does present depth which it seems realtors like in the pictures.

What I've found shooting for realtors is that they want whatever the rest of the office is doing. :-(

Not so sure a cold discussion of our processing capabilities as opposed to a camera's is the point. You also have to be a bit careful of window pulls because of the lack of 3D information in a photograph. It's not a direct line from our brains to the camera sensor. If the lens is so wide as to make the photograph of the room appear much larger than it appears when one is in the room, the distortion - whatever it's cause - misrepresents the room. When a buyer feels like he or she has been deceived -intentionally or not - by the photographs, the realtor is blamed. Most of my clients do not want that to happen. 16mm (or 10mm on a crop) can easily make a room appear MUCH larger than it is. Usually best to back off a touch but each photographer and each realtor must decide that in their market and for each room. Just something to be aware of.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
Metro Chicago
May 16, 2017 23:46 |  #19

rgs wrote in post #18356481 (external link)
Not so sure a cold discussion of our processing capabilities as opposed to a camera's is the point. You also have to be a bit careful of window pulls because of the lack of 3D information in a photograph. It's not a direct line from our brains to the camera sensor. If the lens is so wide as to make the photograph of the room appear much larger than it appears when one is in the room, the distortion - whatever it's cause - misrepresents the room. When a buyer feels like he or she has been deceived -intentionally or not - by the photographs, the realtor is blamed. Most of my clients do not want that to happen. 16mm (or 10mm on a crop) can easily make a room appear MUCH larger than it is. Usually best to back off a touch but each photographer and each realtor must decide that in their market and for each room. Just something to be aware of.

You're right that it does depend on the realtor.
In the last month more than 50 realtors, with one exception, while approving close to a 1000 room images has asked why the room looks bigger than it is in reality. Several have asked if there is a way to make it look bigger.

The one expectation was a realtor concerned about the edge distortion making the chair look too big. Not that the room was too big, just the chair.

This is a for properties ranging from $250K condos to $3 million houses.

As a commercial photographer, job is to create and present pictures that satisfy the client's expectations.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

tvdang7
111 posts
Joined Feb 2010
May 17, 2017 12:07 |  #20

Hi guys, I am close to getting my real estate license and I have an older t1i that i would like to revive. What would be a budget lens for interior work?

*new*
Canon T1i 18-55mm IS and 50-250mm IS Yn-465 flash.:)
*old*
Canon rebel XS/1000D 18-55 IS and 75-300mm, 50mm f1.8 nifty fifty

BallerStatus
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Knoxville, TN
May 18, 2017 11:02 as a reply to tvdang7's post |  #21

Canon 10-18 would be a good choice for a budget wide angle on a crop body. I have one for sale as I went with the 17-40L to use on my 6D. Send me a PM if interested. Thanks!

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4179/33878532890_6557814a74_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/TBJk​w3] (external link)IMG_7467 (external link) by Bridgesphoto (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/605/33071119465_e4aec6217f_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Soo8​CV] (external link)1304 Wilshire Rd (6) (external link) by Bridgesphoto (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2140/32689082570_3b18dbed0b_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/RNC6​nU] (external link)1304 Wilshire Rd (16) (external link) by Bridgesphoto (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2259/32689065110_15b938c6e3_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/RNC1​bS] (external link)1304 Wilshire Rd (40) (external link) by Bridgesphoto (external link), on Flickr

2 5Dc's and EOS M - Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 35mm f2 IS, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 24-105mm f4L IS
www.bsquarephoto.net (external link) | www.DKBridgesPhoto.com (external link) | Flickr (external link)

FTb
Joined Jun 2014
Jul 17, 2017 23:30 |  #22

Without question, 17mm TS-E on full size sensor.

My flickrexternal link
Favorite lenses: Canon 16-35 f/4 L IS, 50/1.2L, 85/1.2L II, 135/2L, 70-200L IS II, TS-E 17mm f/4L

TheShutterMonkey
Joined Jul 2016
Jul 18, 2017 12:03 |  #23

+1 for the Canon 17mm F4 L TS-E. What's cool about the 17mm is... if it's too wide, I can use a 1.4x TC and it's closer to a 24mm OR, sometimes I just mount it on an APS-C body and it's about 25.5mm

I took this last month while visiting Southern California when we went to look at some model homes.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4236/35188990462_1345d56222_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/VBwL​U7] (external link)Enclave at Yorba Linda, California (external link) by Ken (external link), on Flickr

jgoetz4
Joined Dec 2005
Hanover, Pa-Baltimore, Md
Aug 14, 2017 06:05 |  #24

A few yrs back, I used my 40D and 10-22mm lens, between 10 & 14mm. Clients were happy, and that's what it's all about :-)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

6D, SL1, 10-22 (modified for the 6D) 50 1.8 STM, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, 70-300L IS, Da Bigma, Kenko Pro 1.4x tc
Fuji X-E1 and a bunch of glass
Fuji X100
Sky-Watcher 8'' Dobsonian

sponsored links

3,150 views & 11 likes for this thread
Favorite Lens - Real Estate
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.