Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 14 Aug 2017 (Monday) 15:30
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Other uses for a Solar Eclipse filter

waylandcool
Joined Jun 2007
Far NW Suburbs of Chicago
Aug 14, 2017 15:30 |  #1

Hi,

I still see some eclipse filters online and I was wondering if there were any uses for them after the eclipse. My budget is really tight right now so dropping money on a filter I won't be able to use again isn't really an option. If there are more uses for it, it would make the decision a lot easier.

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,418 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Aug 14, 2017 15:34 |  #2

There will be other partial eclipse in the future .

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Aug 14, 2017 15:57 |  #3

If you have a long enough lens you can always photograph sunspots in the years to come. The filters let you photograph the sun, not just eclipses.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Aug 14, 2017 16:10 |  #4

waylandcool wrote in post #18427561 (external link)
Hi,

I still see some eclipse filters online and I was wondering if there were any uses for them after the eclipse. My budget is really tight right now so dropping money on a filter I won't be able to use again isn't really an option. If there are more uses for it, it would make the decision a lot easier.

Unless you have a tracker and a really long focal length with appropriately large aperture, I would just wait until after the eclipse and buy all your solar stuff used when everyone ditches it post eclipse; since you said funds are tight.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link) :: Canon 17-40L For Sale! $380!

waylandcool
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2007
Far NW Suburbs of Chicago
Aug 14, 2017 16:29 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #5

I'm leaning that way since my budget gets better after the eclipse and I have some longer lens needs that have a higher priority.

465 views & 0 likes for this thread
Other uses for a Solar Eclipse filter
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.