Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family
Thread started 14 Aug 2017 (Monday) 17:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Family photo session...critique wanted

kezug
Joined Mar 2010
N.W. Indiana
Post has been edited 2 months ago by kezug.
Aug 14, 2017 17:44 |  #1

Ok, I finally got some lighting setup and on Saturday we had a wedding to attend. That combination is gold for getting the family to do a quick photo shoot! My kids have no patience for me and my photography..but I had their attention for a few moments! :)

My lighting setup (sorry no pics of it) are
47" Octobox w/diffuser with 2 V860II in Manual mode either both at 1/4 or 1/2 power.
I had the X1T-C to control the V860's and a YN622C on my camera and one my hand to trigger the camera.

The Octobox was probably 8-10 feet to the right of the image and about 8-10 feet in the air...angled some what downward and slightly turned away.

Shot with my 70D and 18-135mm. I did not have time to try with my 50mm or 55-250mm for different affects...wish I did though.

Anyway...critique is what I want....lighting, pose, camera settings, white balance...give it to me! :)

These have been slightly edited in DPP for sharpening or a slight bump in shadow.

I will clone out the the flower stand or birdhouse and mesh in background but I really want critique in all other areas.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Camera's: 70D, G12 | Len's: 18-135mm IS STM, 55-250mm IS STM, 50mm f/1.8 II | Photos:flickr (external link)

sponsored links
kezug
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2010
N.W. Indiana
Aug 14, 2017 17:49 |  #2

Here is one from indoors.

47" Octobox w/diffuser with 2 V860II in Manual mode either both at 1/4.

The Octobox was probably 6-8 feet to the left of center of the image and about 8-10 feet in the air...angled about 45 degree downward.
To the right of center, I had a V860CII in Manual mode at 1/16 angled thru a diffuser panel for slight fill for under chin shadows.

This has been slightly edited in DPP for sharpening or a slight bump in shadow. I think I could have bumped shadow more or a slight bump in brightness.

I will clone out the outlets and dog but I really want critique in all other areas.

HOSTED PHOTO

Camera's: 70D, G12 | Len's: 18-135mm IS STM, 55-250mm IS STM, 50mm f/1.8 II | Photos:flickr (external link)

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by saea501. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 15, 2017 07:57 |  #3

I think the giant candle thingy above their heads is pretty distracting.

The lighting in picture 1 and 2 looks good but I think your depth of field is too great. The flower pot in both of those is vying for attention. I might have had the guy in picture 2 pull his pants up a little which would lessen some of the baggy wrinkles.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Aug 15, 2017 08:43 |  #4

Lighting looks good to me.

Poses are pretty stale though, that's a hard thing to do though, they're all "taking a picture" so to speak and don't seem into it (mom seems to be the most into it). Need more contact, closer together. Everyone is "smiling for the camera" too. Sometimes it's good to change it up so they're not looking at the camera, looking at each other maybe, etc. Just need variation. I see a lot of hands and eyes though, and that's good. I would also explore something other than everyone standing sword & board shoulder to shoulder. This may require you to go really wide for something creative, but that's ok!

The flower pots and stones are something I would have avoided, it competes with their legs and feet.
The trees and stuff are fine, nothing looks like its growing from their heads.
The circular fixture seems ok to me, versus just more negative space. Circle near a family, kinda works after all.
The dog or whatever that is half in the photo on the floor though, that is a big oops I imagine, but I'd try like heck to clone that out if possible.
Clone out those side mantle things that just poke into the photo.

White balance, exposure, etc, look good to me. Overall image quality is fine.

It's the poses and general non-variation that I'd look to change up. They're a pretty sterile family, and sometime need direction on how to stand or what to do with their arms other than let them dangle.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Micro5797
Joined Dec 2013
Montana
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Micro5797.
Aug 15, 2017 14:49 |  #5

Overall i would say good job and they should be happy with the images.

I pretty much agree with the above posters, but to go a little more in detail to help as you are posing.

Yes, they are a little stiff , to improve this when dealing with families or couples:
#1 Dad place his hand on moms arm lightly for more points of interaction. (guy and gal in black i assume are mom/dad)
Son in blue put hand, thumb or fingers in pocket or lightly grabbing the buttons on his jacket. Giving people things to do with their hands really adds something personable to an image.
Their hips need to be closer together, tilt heads toward each other when possible, more so with women.I tell my clients to get uncomfortably close as space between people is exaggerated in photos.

When dealing with kit lenses, yes you are limited to that F/5.6 and keeping it there due to OCF (off camera flash) that is understandable. You could have shot these images at f/2.8- F/4 if your lens had allowed it and still been great on DOF as there are only 4 people who are all on the same DOF plane to the cameras sensor. I am saying this because you were at F/6.3. I would never close down more then F/5.6 and shooting longer will really help take you from here we are in the trees/back yard to here we are with a lovely green background, oh yeah, those are trees. I know that this can be hard to do with limited space to get far enough away. Also, i think the 50-350 is a better IQ lens then the 18-135.

OCF. This is subjective. Yes you have good ambient vs flash for a good exposure. An octobox does not need to be feathered as a rectangle box does. It shoots a 12' circle of light. I personally when working with groups of 2 or more is to bring the light more flat toward the center as the shadows under the noses etc don't really add anything, but when it is overall good exposure, that is flattering.
With the bottom of the octabox at the top of their head, you shouldn't even need to angle the light down, again, octas are different then rectangle softboxes.

All in all i would say that these are good images. It is great that you are asking for critique as i can already image each shoot getting better and better.

Here is a great video on octas: https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=Zg-UAP31Zs0 (external link)
Refer to Roberto Valenzuela's posing books Picture perfect posing and Picture perfect practice. He also has videos on creativelive.com

kezug
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2010
N.W. Indiana
Aug 15, 2017 21:53 |  #6

Thank you all for the feedback...in case you missed it or I wasn't clear...that is my family..as in me and my family :)

I am the older gray haired guy who know realizes that suit does not suit me well! LOL

I certainly do struggle with posing. I am so focused on the technical aspect of things right now, specifically lighting, that I realize I have so much to learn about other things such as posing.

I have already planned to clone out some of the distractions such as the dog, or the flower stand...I will do the flower pot and rocks as well too...while it is character from our yard...I do realize how much better the image will look with out it.

I was glad to hear that the feedback on my exposure is in the positive though as that was really my focus on this lesson by using my new lighting setup.

The godox/flashpoints lighting I have now is just great and fun to use...the trigger/controller (X1T-C) and the TTL and Manual flashes are simple and intuitive to use.

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,087 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 15, 2017 22:01 |  #7

Looks good. Maybe more angle on the ladies more of a 45ish degree to the camera? Little bit more leg kick to curve it up a bit. The guys look stiff. Good exposure, I like the ambient down a stop or two personally but probably harder to do with a group like that.

Just wanted to give a shoutout to ya anyway since I'm from Merrillville :)

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Aug 15, 2017 22:22 |  #8

Well, I must say, it's a lot harder when you're doing it with yourself in the photo.

We do family selfies too and it's pretty difficult until you basically have a system. But it's really rewarding to do them yourself at your convenience.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,087 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 15, 2017 23:01 |  #9

I didn't read that part.... by yourself. ya hard. So hard I refuse to do it.

major props.

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

kezug
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2010
N.W. Indiana
Aug 16, 2017 06:42 |  #10

MalVeauX wrote in post #18428905 (external link)
Well, I must say, it's a lot harder when you're doing it with yourself in the photo.

We do family selfies too and it's pretty difficult until you basically have a system. But it's really rewarding to do them yourself at your convenience.

Very best,

Talley wrote in post #18428930 (external link)
I didn't read that part.... by yourself. ya hard. So hard I refuse to do it.

major props.

Thanks, but your responses will help me with area's I need to improve. This is what I wanted and why I posted these pictures.

Talley...Merrillville! That is very close to me...I grew up in Hessville and now live in Chesterton. Another Hoosier discovered!

MalVeauX, thanks again for your lighting recommendations/help. This is allowing me to venture into another area of photography and it is fun and really challenging at the same time, but I love it.

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,620 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Aug 20, 2017 13:05 |  #11

Bring a stool and have one person sit, then have the others gather around so it doesn't look so lined up. You will be a lot happier with your photos because otherwise, they look fine.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

pmpn
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Sep 05, 2017 12:29 |  #12

I like 1st photograph. Looks perfect. :love:

Photo to Painting (external link) | Gift a Portrait Painting (external link) | Picture to Painting (external link)

lisastallsmith
30 posts
Joined Sep 2017
Sep 08, 2017 06:54 |  #13

I'm very new so no advice from me. I just wanted to tell the group that this is great feedback and I enjoyed reading the comments and learned from this!

Thank you for posting these photos! Shooting your self must be so difficult.

sponsored links

904 views & 5 likes for this thread
Family photo session...critique wanted
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.